Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

13 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Jesus will take up the believers ? so if your not a Christian your toast? seems a bit unfair if you were brought up Bhuddist say.

What else would you expect from religion? Why would the priests say that anyone can go to heaven except through their brand, which makes them quite prosperous? It's all about power and wealth, and not so much about saving souls, IMO.

Try getting off religion and onto spirituality to discover what some of us are talking about, and it's not religion.

• Like 2

Jesus will take up the believers ?

Believers in "God", whatever God is. Jesus was a representative of God, and talked of the way to enter heaven.

so if your not a Christian your toast?

Are you not aware that Jesus was a Jew? Christianity came later and is only referring to followers of the Christ. Christian religion was invented later by the Romans.

I've explained to you before that it's not about religion, but you keep referring to religion. I don't think I'll keep explaining any more.

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Are you looking back on your life and worried you'll be going to the hot place? If not, what is the point you are making?

His point is a response to the Repent or Suffer Eternal Damnation messages from a poster that takes the Bible literally.

My response on that poster was a cartoon, which you didn't get either...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Hahaha, I'm innocent of the Homosexuals and Thieves, is there no punishment for speeding motorists?

Many here seem to have overlooked the sexually immoral part. As Jesus said, there are none without sin. I came to Thailand, whats your excuse?

On 5/20/2020 at 6:59 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Believers in "God", whatever God is. Jesus was a representative of God, and talked of the way to enter heaven.

Are you not aware that Jesus was a Jew? Christianity came later and is only referring to followers of the Christ. Christian religion was invented later by the Romans.

I've explained to you before that it's not about religion, but you keep referring to religion. I don't think I'll keep explaining any more.

You say he keeps referring to religion ,but i thought that is what believing in God is about ,religion,isnt it? also i see that old Khomeni from Iran  or whatever his name is wants to destroy the Jews ,seems odd ,as it was them that invented the God he believes in .strange lot believers 

2 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

You say he keeps referring to religion ,but i thought that is what believing in God is about ,religion,isnt it? also i see that old Khomeni from Iran  or whatever his name is wants to destroy the Jews ,seems odd ,as it was them that invented the God he believes in .strange lot believers 

OK. Here it is, IN MY OPINION. I am no master of spirituality. It's probably as clear as mud, but I'll do my best.

Religion= something created by humans using God as reason to have power and wealth. They do that by saying only they have the keys to heaven and only people that believe in THEIR God get to go there. In exchange for telling people what God wants they get stuff. In the beginning it was probably a sheep or a chicken that could be "sacrificed" and in return God would give them eternal life in Heaven. Now of course it's money. In the middle ages priests took money in exchange for pardons for sins; nowadays they just take the money.

Spirituality= something anyone can achieve without paying anyone if they do the hard yards of learning. The goal of spirituality, IMO, is to achieve heaven/ nirvana/ paradise.

It's true that both religion and spirituality believe in a higher power that created life the universe and everything, but have very different ways of joining the creator after bodily death. Both believe that we have a soul. It's how that soul is saved that is the difference. Muslims believe that if one does the pillars one will be saved, Christians believe that they must follow the way laid down by the Christ, Buddhists think if one lives a good life they come back and if each life is better than the last they will achieve Nirvana, Hindus etc, don't have a clue about them.

Far as I'm concerned spirituality is something we have to be open to, and if we are open enough we become one with God after our body dies.

In both cases one has to live according to the rules. Can't be a bad person till dying and then say one repents if one doesn't mean it.

I'm sure that anyone can achieve heaven by many paths, whether by religion or spirituality.

The God of the Jews, Christians and Muslims is the same God. Nothing to do with being invented. God has been part of being human since the first humans learned to think.

God gave us free will to believe or not believe. The Inquisition isn't around anymore burning people that say God doesn't exist so believe or don't. Up to you. Just don't say you didn't know about God if you don't get to enter Heaven.

Matthew 7:21 is the twenty-first verse of the seventh chapter of the Gospel of Matthew in the New Testament and is part of the Sermon on the Mount.

Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will

enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who

does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

• Like 2

"What happens to those who have never heard about Jesus?"

All people are accountable to God whether or not they have “heard about Him.” The Bible tells us that God has clearly revealed Himself in nature (Romans 1:20) and in the hearts of people (Ecclesiastes 3:11). The problem is that the human race is sinful; we all reject this knowledge of God and rebel against Him (Romans 1:21-23). If it were not for God’s grace, we would be given over to the sinful desires of our hearts, allowing us to discover how useless and miserable life is apart from Him. He does this for those who continually reject Him (Romans 1:24-32).

In reality, it is not that some people have not heard about God. Rather, the problem is that they have rejected what they have heard and what is readily seen in nature. Deuteronomy 4:29 proclaims, “But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.” This verse teaches an important principle—everyone who truly seeks after God will find Him. If a person truly desires to know God, God will make Himself known.

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

"What happens to those who have never heard about Jesus?"

All people are accountable to God whether or not they have “heard about Him.” The Bible tells us that God has clearly revealed Himself in nature (Romans 1:20) and in the hearts of people (Ecclesiastes 3:11). The problem is that the human race is sinful; we all reject this knowledge of God and rebel against Him (Romans 1:21-23). If it were not for God’s grace, we would be given over to the sinful desires of our hearts, allowing us to discover how useless and miserable life is apart from Him. He does this for those who continually reject Him (Romans 1:24-32).

In reality, it is not that some people have not heard about God. Rather, the problem is that they have rejected what they have heard and what is readily seen in nature. Deuteronomy 4:29 proclaims, “But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.” This verse teaches an important principle—everyone who truly seeks after God will find Him. If a person truly desires to know God, God will make Himself known.

>> Well, at least those quotes are of a different caliber than your previous Repent or Hell and Damnation posts for those (the majority of mankind) who have never heard of Jesus.

Jesus can help you find God if that's your path of choice, but finding God is not dependant on having heard of Jesus.

On 5/18/2020 at 10:10 AM, CMNightRider said:

Instead of continuing to post nonsensical remarks about which God to believe in and denying Jesus Christ died on the cross for our sins, you people should give serious thought to what the Bible tells us about what is coming our way.  I would not want to be a non-believer during the Tribulation.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

The End Times - Before the Tribulation

Rapture—The Rapture is when Jesus returns to the sky and takes up the believers, dead and alive, so they will not have to suffer God's wrath during the Tribulation. They are judged at the Bema Seat of Christ, rewarded for their good works, and given glorified bodies. The marriage supper of the Lamb will also take place. There are no precursors to the Rapture; it could happen at any time. 

1 Thessalonians 4:13-181 Corinthians 3:11-4:5Revelation 19:7-9

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

>> Well, at least those quotes are of a different caliber than your previous Repent or Hell and Damnation posts for those (the majority of mankind) who have never heard of Jesus.

Jesus can help you find God if that's your path of choice, but finding God is not dependant on having heard of Jesus.

Actually, although sad ,only about 30% haven't heard about Jesus. These are in areas resistant to religion and tribes that are in desolate areas. The Kazakh of Asia, Hazara of Afghanistan, and the  Alawite of Syria are some of them.

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Far as I'm concerned spirituality is something we have to be open to, and if we are open enough we become one with God after our body dies.

Well explained. 

The only part I don't quite agree is this.

Many spiritual paths (yoga being one of them) clearly state that the goal is to find union with God, in this life or the next or the one after...doesn't matter...the point is you can do it while wearing your flesh coat (aka body)....just like Buddha did.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.” This verse teaches an important principle—everyone who truly seeks after God will find Him. If a person truly desires to know God, God will make Himself known.

Finally something I can agree with. Was getting tired from dodging all the fire and brimstone flying around. 

If a person truly desires to know God, he needs no holy book, no organisation, no guru or saviour...God will eventually reveal himself. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunmaster said:

Finally something I can agree with. Was getting tired from dodging all the fire and brimstone flying around. 

If a person truly desires to know God, he needs no holy book, no organisation, no guru or saviour...God will eventually reveal himself. 

Or...wishful people just interpret a naturally or chemically induced brain-state as a divine revelation without an iota of evidence of it being such. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Or...wishful people just interpret a naturally or chemically induced brain-state as a divine revelation without an iota of evidence of it being such. 

Still going strong ????

just read couple of weeks ago, or was it month(s), someone claimed that the trolls got tired? 

Just wondering if being sceptic and sane and a healthy approach to the big Q, is trolling? 

People who is sure about god exists, still just believe, right? 

Today is today, and there is always a tomorow. An old ancient Saying! 

5 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Just wondering if being sceptic and sane and a healthy approach to the big Q, is trolling? 

Of course not. Trolling is only when you have no intention in discussing the topic, and instead prefer to provoke emotional responses by mocking, ridiculing and spouting condescending nonsense. Skeptic used to be like that, but he changed his ways and I certainly wouldn't call him a troll now. I'd call him other things, but not a troll. Lol...jk

10 minutes ago, Tagged said:

People who is sure about god exists, still just believe, right? 

No.

To know God, is to experience God. Some people are fortunate enough to have had spontaneous revelations, others work hard in the hope to be blessed with such an experience. In both cases, once you do experience that state, you go from "believing " to "knowing ".

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

God is revealed to me in nature, especially sunsets, but I had to be open to the existence of God before I realised that.

Or imaginative people interpret natural beauty as a divine revelation without an iota of evidence of such, but rather on personal credulity. :coffee1:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Or imaginative people interpret natural beauty as a divine revelation without an iota of evidence of such, but rather on personal credulity. :coffee1:

Yes, every species of mammal, fish, birds, insects, reptiles, bacteria, plants,  humans and suns, planets,and moons all came from a cosmic explosion. From the intricacies of the brain and thoughts, to an insects wing,  that everything requires oxygen, food and water, all of which just happened to end up on this planet in the right amounts. The sun just happens to be just the right distance from the earth to supply heat and sunshine for plant growth. All from an explosion of matter which didn't exist, because if it did, where did it come from? No, there was a creator. Our God. Those that choose to not believe because of hatred, fear or abuse from a believer that turned them off can find out when they die. For them it will be too late. God is giving you a chance to turn to Him. It's up to you what you do. No, I can't prove God exists, but only a fool would think everything just happened from nothing. To each his own. We will all meet God when we die. Are you prepared?  That's why I believe in God. Again, it's called faith. Faith in something we've never seen.   To know God, is to experience God. Some people are fortunate enough to have had spontaneous revelations, others work hard in the hope to be blessed with such an experience. In both cases, once you do experience that state, you go from "believing " to "knowing "(borrowed from Sunmaster)

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Quotes

• I cannot imaging anyone looking at the sky and denying God. — Abraham Lincoln.
  • As the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, so the denial of God is the height of foolishness. R.C. Sproul
  • Jesus died for you in public so don’t only live for him in private.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Quotes

• I cannot imaging anyone looking at the sky and denying God. — Abraham Lincoln.
  • As the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, so the denial of God is the height of foolishness. R.C. Sproul
  • Jesus died for you in public so don’t only live for him in private.

Here's another quote from Lincoln for ya... 

“The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma.”

Abraham Lincoln

He's also been quoted saying that he has never denied the truth of the scriptures...which by no stretch implies he believes them, nor intentionally disrespected the Christian faith...which does imply that some thought him disrespectful towards Christianity. 

“That I am not a member of any Christian Church, is true,” he responded in a handbill; “but I have never denied the truth of the Scriptures; and I have never spoken with intentional disrespect of religion in general, or of any denomination of Christians in particular.”

--Abraham Lincoln

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

“The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma.”

Abraham Lincoln

He's also been quoted saying that he has never denied the truth of the scriptures...which by no stretch implies he believes them, nor intentionally disrespected the Christian faith...which does imply that some thought him disrespectful towards Christianity. 

“That I am not a member of any Christian Church, is true,” he responded in a handbill; “but I have never denied the truth of the Scriptures; and I have never spoken with intentional disrespect of religion in general, or of any denomination of Christians in particular.”

--Abraham Lincoln

I never denied the TRUTH of the scriptures, indeed implies he believes them.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Abraham Lincoln

--Abraham Lincoln

In later years Lincoln wrote this which would indicate he figured out the Bible was a gift from God.

In regards to this great Book [the Bible], I have but to say it is the best gift God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave to the world was communicated through this Book. But for it we could not know right from wrong. All things most desirable for man's welfare, here and hereafter, are found portrayed in it.

20 minutes ago, CMNightRider said:

Bible was the best gift to those who already was rich, and to those who was talented to preach and make money on poor people! 

Also a gift to those who did not see any purpose of life, and found their way trough religion. Good tribe for those who is lost