Do you believe in God and why

ivor bigun

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Thanks Odysseus for posting wonderful music, but as the Latins used to say, "De gustibus non disputandum est" with all respect, i love pop music.

So you do..and you are welcome to it.

Now let's get back to the topic which is not about entirely superficial western 'pop' culture,climate denialism,anti feminism and denial of Darwin's theory of Evolution (The full far right package) 

Here is the catholic church's take on the matter-at one stage or another..

159. Faith and science: "... methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things of faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are." (Vatican II GS 36:1)

7 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

159. Faith and science: "... methodical research in all branches of knowledge, provided it is carried out in a truly scientific manner and does not override moral laws, can never conflict with the faith, because the things of the world and the things of faith derive from the same God. The humble and persevering investigator of the secrets of nature is being led, as it were, by the hand of God in spite of himself, for it is God, the conserver of all things, who made them what they are." (Vatican II GS 36:1)

Uhmm, that would be a bit like painting with closed eyes, doesn't sound right to me.

9 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Now let's get back to the topic which is not about entirely superficial western 'pop' culture,climate denialism,anti feminism and denial of Darwin's theory of Evolution (The full far right package) 

Well, why not discussing specific points of the posts, i can assure you that i'm not far right at all, and btw i'm quite a supporter of feminism.

5 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Uhmm, that would be a bit like painting with closed eyes, doesn't sound right to me.

Well, why not discussing specific points of the posts, i can assure you that i'm not far right at all, and btw i'm quite a supporter of feminism.

I think we should call it a day..

I shall cleave to William Byrd and you can stick with the ..beetles.

Howzzat?????

3 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Darwin theory has many flaws, and it's being challenged on daily basis.

The 'missing link' has never been found yet.

Of course evolution of the species is real, but can you tell me please what the elephants have achieved in the field of the arts ? What about the spiritual research of the cats ? Or the dining finesse of the hyenas ?

LOL! ???? You cannot be serious!

Missing links is a nonsense religious misdirection talking point for the ignorant and uninformed masses. It's ridiculous to imply that there is one tell-all missing link that shows monkey magically turned human overnight. No credible person at any level supports such an absurd notion. 

Humans have common ancestors with the Great Apes. There are thousands of transitional fossils from myriad species, including humans, all around the globe.

Evolution, including human, is a fact supported by vast amounts of evidence. NOT debatable...by those with any understanding of the world and it's species, that is. Only the ignorant creationists and downright science deniers find any use of the silly, useless term "missing link". 

This thread has been "devolving" for months and is actually nothing but an insult to intellect and intelligence at this point. ???? 

Edited by Skeptic7

6 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Missing links is a nonsense religious misdirection talking point for the ignorant and uninformed masses. It's ridiculous to imply that there is one tell-all missing link that shows monkey magically turned human overnight. No credible person at any level supports such an absurd notion. 

Humans have common ancestors with the Great Apes. There are thousands of transitional fossils from myriad species, including humans, all around the globe.

Evolution, including human, is a fact supported by vast amounts of evidence. NOT debatable...by those with any understanding of the world and it's species, that is. Only the ignorant creationists and downright science deniers find any use of the silly, useless term "missing link". 

This thread has been "devolving" for months and is actually nothing but an insult to intellect and intelligence at this point. ???? 

Just google "Darwin theory's flaws" enough to keep you busy for a couple of months.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

As far as 'devolving" is concerned..this thread is titled "Do You Believe in God and Why'' so,incredibly enough (and please take a deep breath) it is not all about either you or me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Misab said:

There was once a philosopher who said: " God is not HIM there is but IT there is"

Perhaps what we call God is something beyond the human brain's perception ability.

Perhaps, but then it is also of no concern. 

2 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

Just google "Darwin theory's flaws" enough to keep you busy for a couple of months.

Don't have to. Studied and scrutinized it at length for years.

Also, zero interest in unqualified sources or psuedo science BS deniers deflections. 

From The National Academy of Sciences... 

Many past and current scientists who have made major contributions to our understanding of the world have been devoutly religious. At the same time, many religious people accept the reality of evolution, and many religious denominations have issued emphatic statements reflecting this acceptance.

Acceptance of evolution is not the same as a religious belief. Scientists' confidence about the occurrence of evolution is based on an overwhelming amount of supporting evidence gathered from many aspects of the natural world. To be accepted, scientific knowledge has to withstand the scrutiny of testing, retesting, and experimentation. Evolution is accepted within the scientific community because the concept has withstood extensive testing by many thousands of scientists for more than a century. As a 2006 "Statement on the Teaching of Evolution" from the Interacademy Panel on International Issues, a global network of national science academies, said, "Evidence-based facts about the origins and evolution of the Earth and of life on this planet have been established by numerous observations and independently derived experimental results from a multitude of scientific disciplines".

I Just follow the facts...not the woo and ignorance. If the facts pointed elsewhere, then I would go there. They don't. 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Don't have to. Studied and scrutinized it at length for years.

Also, zero interest in unqualified sources or psuedo science BS deniers deflections. 

So you believe in evolution, yet you refuse to evolve your knowledge, that's funny.

Who decides what is science and pseudo-science ? You ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Pity you mispelled Pachelbel,ain't it?

But I am sure that you got it right with the "beetles"

Allegri-Miserere..

How about you try to be a little bit less condescending about your "western music and culture". You're not the only one to listen to and enjoy classical music and I'm sure there is plenty you don't know yourself.

7 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Thanks God (pun intended) there are people like you who put everyone in their place and say how things really are.
Right, how are things really? I can't seem to remember any of your points...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Quantum physics is beyond my understanding, but that won't stop me from trying to understand it.
And thankfully, there are people who are far more successful than me!

That would be a fsir point, IF I had made the claim that quantum physics was was beyond all human understanding and knowledge, as a few posters here have stated about god(s). Some many times over and over. I haven't made any such claim and ONLY trying to point out that if someone believes in something that they admit is beyond ALL human understanding EVER, then it seems frivolous. No different from claiming a...or believing in...something that doesn't exist. 

Further...I wouldn't make the claim that anything is beyond human understanding, including god(s), once there is sufficient reason(s) to warrant serious investigation. 

15 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

I'm surprised you use the terms "intellect" or "intelligence" if you really believe your distant relatives are Apes.  Maybe in your spare time when you are sober or not under the influence of any mind altering medication, you can read about how all life is programed with DNA.  

God has truly left His “signature” in every cell of every life form—including you and me—the obvious and wondrous design of DNA. This is surely some of the most compelling evidence ever found for His existence!

• Thanks 1

We should also bear in mind that Charles Darwin did not have any knowledge of genes. The science of genetics has evolved so remarkably that we are now able to extract the DNA from small fragments of well-preserved bones that are as old as 45,000 years and get an almost complete picture of the genetic characteristics of the ancient hominid.

This recent knowledge helps explain the so-called 'missing link'. It seems there have been many subspecies of Homo Sapiens in the past. There was not one migration out of Africa, but a continuous migration in all directions over periods of hundreds of thousands of years. Many of these subspecies would have interbred, so modern humans are an evolving mixture of a number of subspecies.

Perhaps the most famous subspecies is Neanderthal Man who lived within Eurasia from around 400,000 to 40,000 years ago. Recent genetic analysis has revealed that modern humans interbred with Neanderthals. Many of us have a small percentage of Neanderthal genes in our genome. 

Since Neanderthals looks so ugly and ape-like, one might wonder why any modern human would find them sufficiently attractive to have sex with. ????

However, the genetic evidence suggests it was only the male Neanderthals who occasionally mated with the female homo sapiens. ????

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

About the same as Thailand then?????

A bar girl told me once that it was believing in Buddha that made them so conscious about money and sex. Now I know that Buddha was not a god, but it could explain the obsessive nature of Thailand. 

That bar girl's younger sister told me, in an intimate moment, that DNA drifts through the universe and has been doing so for more that 100 years. Interesting, I thought, she could be right. Now, as i'm getting on a bit, I'm not sure and I'm open to explanations about the origins of Thai thinking.

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A bar girl told me once that it was believing in Buddha that made them so conscious about money and sex. Now I know that Buddha was not a god, but it could explain the obsessive nature of Thailand. 

That bar girl's younger sister told me, in an intimate moment, that DNA drifts through the universe and has been doing so for more that 100 years. Interesting, I thought, she could be right. Now, as i'm getting on a bit, I'm not sure and I'm open to explanations about the origins of Thai thinking.

Ah yes Owl..but I was specifically alluding to this line..

"Since Neanderthals look so ugly and ape-like...one might wonder why any modern human.."

I thought the poster was putting forward a Thai woman's point of view-one seldom expressed on ThaiVisa..????

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, VincentRJ said:

This recent knowledge helps explain the so-called 'missing link'. It seems there have been many subspecies of Homo Sapiens in the past. There was not one migration out of Africa, but a continuous migration in all directions over periods of hundreds of thousands of years. Many of these subspecies would have interbred, so modern humans are an evolving mixture of a number of subspecies.

That's fair enough, yet the evolution theory is not (and probably will never be) a proof of the non-existence of intelligent design.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

"Since Neanderthals look so ugly and ape-like...one might wonder why any modern human.."

I thought the poster was putting forward a Thai woman's point of view-one seldom expressed on ThaiVisa..????

I'd like to examine this for a moment. My understanding of a 'Thai woman's point of view' has changed over the years. At first I thought it was simply a case of extracting money at any cost. Now I'm older, and my wife says a little wiser (and poorer), I'm sure that this is the case.

Bar girls were once my encyclopedia of Thailand. Now I do not frequent bars I have to glean my knowledge and understandings of Thai thinking from other sources. Difficult at times, but there are ways.

Professor Pigeon, says it is all a Polynesian concept. And if anyone knows it's him. He hasn't reached the pinnacle of Clinical sexology without extensive study and research.

2 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I'd like to examine this for a moment. My understanding of a 'Thai woman's point of view' has changed over the years. At first I thought it was simply a case of extracting money at any cost. Now I'm older, and my wife says a little wiser (and poorer), I'm sure that this is the case.

Bar girls were once my encyclopedia of Thailand. Now I do not frequent bars I have to glean my knowledge and understandings of Thai thinking from other sources. Difficult at times, but there are ways.

Professor Pigeon, says it is all a Polynesian concept. And if anyone knows it's him. He hasn't reached the pinnacle of Clinical sexology without extensive study and research.

Well..old owl..we are wandering off topic..but having entertained 5 mature Thai women -and their Aussie partners-yesterday at a BBQ I would say that they blossom in a free environment away from an oppressive and illiberal culture and society.

They are business women,forward thinking and quite loquacious as to the advantages of living..elsewhere.

In contrast the average Expat male in Thailand has made only modest contributions to the "Shrinking Brains Fund"

How could it be any other way?

Fish out of water.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Odysseus123 said:

That's very amusing, but I didn't have that in mind, perhaps because I'm not aware that Thai men in general find Western women unattractive, which would be the implication if one uses the analogy of the expat bar/sex scene in Thailand.

As I understand, the DNA in the Mitochondria of each cell, sometimes referred to as the 'power house' of the cell, is normally inherited exclusively from the mother. The geneticists have not yet found any Neanderthal genes in the mitochondria of modern humans, which strongly implies that there was no mating between the male homo sapiens and Neanderthal women, possibly because the Neanderthal women were not seen as sufficiently attractive, or maybe because they were tougher and stronger than the homo sapiens men and could fight off any advances. ????

However, I suspect there is quite a bit of mating between Thai men and Western women, is there not? ????

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

That's very amusing, but I didn't have that in mind, perhaps because I'm not aware that Thai men in general find Western women unattractive, which would be the implication if one uses the analogy of the expat bar/sex scene in Thailand.

As I understand, the DNA in the Mitochondria of each cell, sometimes referred to as the 'power house' of the cell, is normally inherited exclusively from the mother. The geneticists have not yet found any Neanderthal genes in the mitochondria of modern humans, which strongly implies that there was no mating between the male homo sapiens and Neanderthal women, possibly because the Neanderthal women were not seen as sufficiently attractive, or maybe because they were tougher and stronger than the homo sapiens men and could fight off any advances. ????

However, I suspect there is quite a bit of mating between Thai men and Western women, is there not? ????

If you believe that, you’ve never watched rugby league.

• Haha 1