My wifes family have banished me for good.

Lucky me,

as my wife and I met she went into battle as the family demanded money coz of the new golden Buffalo.

She countered them out with the words that she always needed to help herself selling Pa Tong Go in the early morning and kneading the dough in the afternoon day by day.

that worked wonder and I was off the screen.

Now we have a good relationship and none ever asked for money again. 

On my visits to Isaan I give a little like 1000 baht for dad, 500 for auntie and 100 each kid just for some food but never more.. 

I am off cause not being rude and try to keep manners and when I have to stretch my long legs I apologize in beforehand telling the legs hurt I have to change my sitting position..

Its seems not to be offending that way but the opposite: No plomplom comes then from everyone, cushions getting offered and all try making it comfortable as much for me.. 

Sorry but my wife can't get kids so that problem will not occur but I know the Parents have the saying by many families and want the grand kids at home. 

Edited by See Will
  • Like 1

A word of caution: make sure your alliance/relationship with you wife is not undermined by the family.  If you two become divided on issues enough to cause her to revaluate her marriage, this will impact your, (ie divorce) Marriage Visa.  Your marriage = marriage visa.  No marriage = NO visa = Plan B....whatever that is for you.  Congrats you two are a united front - for now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Despondent Foreigner said:

I didnt show her the sole of my foot. I was in the front seat and she was sat behind me.

No one said you did, I said "someone". You need to check your own story.......

"her cousins took great offence at me resting my foot on my knee in the car as I have long legs and needed to stretch. She said thai people doesnt like this kind of thing and i should show some respect. "

OP, you felt the tension and knew your favorable standing in the family, was deteriorating.  

In another context, think of that gobshite at the pub, everybody thinks the same thing about him.  Finally one night, he rips off a passive/aggressive insult and you unload on him both barrels - and the whole group nods and agrees with what you've done.  The guy had it coming.   And you give him zero tolerance from that day forward, the slightest offense or cross word, you put the guy in his place, or ignore him completely, shunning him from the group.

The foot fetish they have here is typically forgone among close family members in a private setting, around the house, etc.   You weren't in that "zone" anymore and got pulled up.   Suspect the family group would agree, although some may still have hope for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Despondent Foreigner said:

As we were driving back home the other day one of her cousins took great offence at me resting my foot on my knee in the car as I have long legs and needed to stretch. She said thai people doesnt like this kind of thing and i should show some respect. I basically told her to get stuffed.

You were in the wrong about this and I'm not surprised they took offence. If you want to live in Thailand it would behove you to learn about the culture.

Best if you just accept not having any contact with them. I'd have loved it if my Thai in laws had stayed far, far away from me.

Just don't expect any assistance from them if you should ever need it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Despondent Foreigner said:

I dont know. I didnt ask. After her cousins outburst in the car everyone was quiet until we arrived home. Most awkward journey of my life,

After one unpleasant trip with the SIL my wife told me she ( SIL ) didn't want to travel with me any more. My response was that I didn't want her travelling with me either.

Came to it in the end I didn't want my wife travelling with me anymore too, and then we got divorced. At least I never have to put up with those thieving <deleted> ever again.

• Like 2