What’s the best way to go about getting the yellow tabien bahn book?

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats right, like immigration offices, they are all different. Most will want some sort of official translation of your name because the yellow book/ID name is your name in Thai, needs to match land office or marriage documents etc. Your local ampher probably took your name from marriage docs as thats an MFA translation.

No mate marriage paper was not asked for or shown, and they didnt have records of it because we married in Khonkaen.

My name and my parents names were translated to Thai by my wife and lady in the office who spoke English.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

They are far from useless and are necessary in order to get a pink ID card which is very helpful to have.

You get it from the ampur. Ampurs vary but usual needs are:

1. Your passport plus a Thai translation of the face page. Some ampurs insist on official translation from Ministry of Foreign Affairs but others will accept it from a translation service...and may have one they prefer you to use. All they actually use this translation for is to get the thai spelling of your name. If you already have any documents with your name in Thai script make sure the passport translation uses same spelling.

2. The blue tabian ban for this address plus photcopy of it and photocopy of the housemaster's ID. Normally this is the person named in the blue tabian ban. If it is someone else then may also need document authorizing that person to represent the house master.

4. The housemaster or their representative needs to come along in person.

The above are standard. In addition many will want copies of documents related to your living there e.g. lease or condo ownership papers as applicable. If none (for example you are living with wife or GF) then thete is a form for them to fill out stating you live there.

If married I would also bring along narriage certificate.

And of course the usual photocopies of your passport.

A few ampurs will make extra demands like wanting witnesses or residency cwrtificate from immigration but most don't. The main challenges for most people are the passport translation and getting landlord or their representative to come along to the ampur, blue book and ID in hand.

In places without many foreigners it is not unusual for officials to not know how to issue a yellow tabian ban or in some cases even that there is such a thing. I had that problem and had to call venrtal govt helpline from the ampur and have them talk to them.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As you say, they want a translation of your name into Thai, if you are married, I think most will accept those documents because they contain MFA name translation etc

19 minutes ago, colinneil said:

No mate marriage paper was not asked for or shown, and they didnt have records of it because we married in Khonkaen.

My name and my parents names were translated to Thai by my wife and lady in the office who spoke English.

Yes they all have different requirements but its important to check translations if they are other than the official MFA etc. I got yellow book with name taken from marriage Documents (MFA) and latter realised the translation on Chanote was completely different and could have been a problem later, took the yellow book/ID to the land office and updated the chanote.

3 hours ago, jcowle said:

What are the benefits of having a yellow book?

I live in Pattaya, has anyone had any experience of obtaining one here?

Thanks

John

I obtained one in Nongprue Amphoe. Wife (not officially married) went in with me and a friend as a witness. Obtained yellow book for wife's house. Wife knew the lady behind the counter, she was from same village.

Took a large cake for her large friend and everything was simplicity itself. 20 minutes in Amphoe and had book a week later. No idea what documents were required.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hans Rayong said:

was one of the first 10 Faranger to get ID card in Pattaya.

I got my pink card in Pattaya. Even easier than obtaining yellow book. No real special reqirements regarding translations, witnesses etc. Just had my photo taken, height recorded and had a pink card in 30 minutes.

Never had to use it though, most dual pricing establishments accept my Thai DL as evidence of residence.

To resume the posts of my distinguished posters here, I guess if I do aim to get that golden book with a 50%-50% ratio of success....

it would mean

a) get married 

b) come with somebody who speaks Thai to the Tessaban 

c) if possible, make sure the somebody with you, knows somebody there  ????

5 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

To resume the posts of my distinguished posters here, I guess if I do aim to get that golden book with a 50%-50% ratio of success....

it would mean

a) get married 

b) come with somebody who speaks Thai to the Tessaban 

c) if possible, make sure the somebody with you, knows somebody there  ????

IME a) not necessary, b) and c) a definite advantage, also an advantage if you're a handsome man and jai dee.

Had to spend 20 minutes smiling and listening to my wife regaling everyone with tales to illustrate what a good husband I was and them all agreeing that I was a handsome man.

Edited by Spidey
  • Haha 2

Yup, obtaining the yellow house book requirements range from a copy of your passport to various translated copies of your documents , witnesses and several visits to the Amphur.

My personal experience ( Amphur Bang Pa-in ) was gf’s blue book and id, a certified copy of passport from British Embassy then translated at MFA, my birth certificate translated at MFA and all the usual copies of passport etc.

Armed with these documents returned to Amphur to be told by headman that also needed a certified copy of Decree Nisi from Embassy then translated at MFA .

Couldn’t face another trip to BKK and the expense involved so abandoned it .

Someone on here told me I should try the Tessabahn which I did only to be told that they only supplied yellow books for residents of the city ( Ayutthaya ) as I’m outside of city municipality could only get at my Amphur. He showed me some files for yellow book applications for residents of the city, huge folders of papers which he said were taking up to a month to get through !!

Since then a local Tessabahn has been built near my home ( 1km away ), anyone have any experience of obtaining a yellow house book from Tessabahn ??

23 hours ago, Despondent Foreigner said:

what is the best thing to say to them if they ask me what do I need it for?

any advice greatly appreciated 

It seem to be very different from province to province. We have seen posts from Isaan where it was "piece of cake" to have one, and for me it was exactly like obtaining permanent residency, apart for a language test, and the relative high residency-fee.

Best thing is to check a local form if someone has experience, and go to your tabien ban office, preferably with someone speaking Thai that can act as translator, and find out the procedure and demands in your area.

The Yellow House Book is good for proof of address – and you get an Thai ID-number, which is also TIN – and you can later apply for a pink Thai ID-card for foreigners (might require some official paperwork from tabien ban office, and an interview at the amphor office, where ID-cards are issued).

????

1 hour ago, tcp7 said:

What really confuses me tho is that people are talking about getting it done at the Amphur, while the incident I am recalling here took place at the City Hall, not the Amphur. Even more confusing.

Yes, it is the City Hall, or tabien ban, which issue house books, whilst the amphor issue ID-cards, herunder the pink card for foreigners...????

29 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Yes, it is the City Hall, or tabien ban, which issue house books, whilst the amphor issue ID-cards, herunder the pink card for foreigners...????

Yes, good point. I had assumed that my book was obtained at the Amphoe. I have just clarified with my wife that it was obtained at Nongprue tessabahn. My pink card was obtained at Naklua ampur.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Gives them FACE. They are the boss of you.

I would rather put it another way. They are nice people. You be nice to them and they'll be nice to you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spidey said:
2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Yes, good point. I had assumed that my book was obtained at the Amphoe. I have just clarified with my wife that it was obtained at Nongprue tessabahn. My pink card was obtained at Naklua ampur.

Thanks for correcting me, the administration office is called "tessa ban", "tabien ban" is house book.

Rayong Amphor wanted 2 Thai witnesses other than my wife when I got my yellow book although it's becoming less useful here talking to friends as the driving license office wants the residence certificate from immigration for license renewal which will cost 500 baht instantly or free in one week so big jok didn't get that stopped even with his life size poster there. I think it took 2 visits to the amphor to finalise the yellow book. Was never offered the pink ID card though.

5 hours ago, tcp7 said:

My birth certificate translated to Thai and also certified/approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok (implying I gotta pay for a translation first, then take an appointment to the MFA in BKK and drive there and come back to Pattaya with said certified/stamped document).

I just took it to a translation shop and they took it to the MoFA. No need to leave Pattaya.

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you have a work permit and are covered under social security, you jeed a pink ID card in order to be registered at your nominated hospital as SS no longer uses cards but rather a paperless system with everything linked to ID number.

And to get the ID card you must have a yellow tabian ban.

Supposedly thete is some way to work around this but no one except SS head office seems to know that and I wouldn't advice risking it as when you go to the hospital they are going to look for you in their computer to verify your coverage and without an ID number may not be able to find you.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Interesting. I wondered why I'd never got a new SS card.

I have that alien pink card but my foreign colleagues don't. Are you saying that they can't be treated in a hospital with the social security unless they get a yellow house book?

10 hours ago, Sheryl said:

he above are standard. In addition many will want copies of documents related to your living there e.g. lease or condo ownership papers as applicable. If none (for example you are living with wife or GF) then thete is a form for them to fill out stating you live there.

I don't want to live with my GF but I want a yellow book and a pink ID eventually. Is that possible? Does my GF have to notify me to immigration every time I come to Thailand? What happens if two persons notify me, like my GF and my rental agent? I think I will get a driver's license that will be better, what do people think?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jcowle said:

Never having to go to immigration again to get a confirmation of address letter for such things like opening a bank account, transferring a motor vehicle etc. etc.

10 hours ago, tcp7 said:

I tried the same procedure at the Pattaya City Hall a few months ago, back in December 2018, they clearly gave me the middle finger.

I produced the following documents:

- A French passport with a valid 2 months Tourist visa,

There's your number one problem - I was told they cannot be issued to people on tourist visas, makes sense really.

Never having to go to immigration again to get a confirmation of address letter for such things like opening a bank account, transferring a motor vehicle etc. etc.
But a Driver's license also does the same thing, right? So it is better to get a Driver's license than persuing yellow book and pink id? Transferring motor vehicle is easy for 700 baht. No need for residency certificate.

Sent from my JKM-LX2 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

15 hours ago, jcowle said:

I live in Pattaya, has anyone had any experience of obtaining one here?

Thanks

John

I  keep mine in the ashtray on my motorbike. 

11 hours ago, khunPer said:

It seem to be very different from province to province. We have seen posts from Isaan where it was "piece of cake" to have one, and for me it was exactly like obtaining permanent residency, apart for a language test, and the relative high residency-fee.

Best thing is to check a local form if someone has experience, and go to your tabien ban office, preferably with someone speaking Thai that can act as translator, and find out the procedure and demands in your area.

The Yellow House Book is good for proof of address – and you get an Thai ID-number, which is also TIN – and you can later apply for a pink Thai ID-card for foreigners (might require some official paperwork from tabien ban office, and an interview at the amphor office, where ID-cards are issued).

????

"and you get an Thai ID-number, which is also TIN"

Can you elaborate on that, please?

19 minutes ago, macahoom said:

"and you get an Thai ID-number, which is also TIN"

Can you elaborate on that, please?

TIN = Tax Identification Number. 

Used by the Revenue Department for taxpayers.

Edited by elviajero

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

There's your number one problem - I was told they cannot be issued to people on tourist visas, makes sense really.

Not really.

Let's assume, you came to Thailand in your early 20's to mid 30's, you got engaged but never got married because afterall, mariage is either against your personal beliefs or simply not your thing all that while having a child with your missus.

At the time you transfered a serious amount of assets here and even acquired a property (either condo or a house), then a few years later down the lane while you're still wanting to live in Thailand, which makes sense since you:

- 1) spent a couple of years here, read: anything between 5 to 10 years.

- 2) had a child with a Thai citizen and you're wanting to take care of your kid.

- 3) have a property at your name/company name in Thailand.

- 4) have invested a lot financially and emtionally in everything you have built here.

However, in the mean time, things went south, you broke up with the first girlfriend, you are now separated from her, you never were married to her to begin with, you still can't legally own a property because you're not Thai and age wise you're either in your early 40's or your mid 40's, either way you're still far too young to even apply for a Retirement visa.

Then what are your options?

Tourists visas of 60 days that you extend for 30 days every time at your local immigration office and subsequent visa runs or the educational visa route which in the end isn't even really any better as you can't apply for a residence permit or the Thai citizenship further down the lane unless you have acquired at least 3 subsequent years of non-immigration O visas.

Really. I'm not trying to gamble the system here or beat the odds or anything, the law is the law and it does apply to everyone, including myself but there are some rare situations and legitimate cases where I feel like "it would make sense" as to why a foreigner on tourists visas who can prove he has "strong ties to the country" would want to apply for either a Yellow Tabian Baan book and the pink ID card while you're at it while holding subsequents Tourists visas.

In my case, showing up at a City Hall or Amphur with a Thai birth certificate for my daughter with my name appearing CLEARLY in all Thai letters, an updated SCB book bank at my name, a Chanut at my Co. Ltd name and the DBD company registration documents, the tax receipts of me paying taxes every year since 2010 all the way to 2019, along with her mother's valid Thai passport, my old passport filled to the brim with 6 differents Thai visas ED, Non-O and TR going all the way back to 2010 and my new passport valid from 2018 to 2028 with already 4 different TR visas on it, should *in my eyes* be enough to prove I have strong ties to the country and have essentially been a part of the Thai society and contributing to it for a decade.

In regards to the law and strictly the law I may be seen or appreciated as a "Tourist visa holder only" as we speak but I don't think you see every tourists in the country walking around strolling down Walking Street or Soi Bukhao carrying all these documents on himself at all times, do we?

Don't judge every book by it's cover.

Edited by Guest

22 minutes ago, elviajero said:

TIN = Tax Identification Number. 

Used by the Revenue Department for taxpayers.

Yes, I know that TIN = Tax Identification Number. But I'm surprised that being granted a yellow book automatically means you have a TIN, without having to apply for one.

Is this definitely the case?