Thaksin given 3-year imprisonment for Exim Bank’s loan to Myanmar

webfact

This poor bloke can't win a trick. Must have "killed a Chinaman", a common saying in Oz when you are down on your luck.

2006 until 2019? Must have been very careful in gathering evidence. I heard they even spoke to the cleaner in the bank building?

I suppose when his team wins the current election and then after the revolution, he will pass a law to fix everything.

Hope he passes a law about wearing watches of dead mates?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Holders of Political Office has sentenced fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to three years in prison without suspension after finding him guilty of malfeasance in office for approving a 4-billion-baht low interest loan from the Thai Exim Bank to Myanmar for the purchase of telecom equipment and services from his family-owned company, Shin Satellite.

He's not even here in Thailand anymore:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

Is the statute of limitations running out on the other warrants?

Speaking of statute of limitations, how long ago was this offence? And is there a statute of limitations on this type of offence?

This was filed in 2008, two years after the act.  Therefore well within the SoL (if there even is one for corruption of this kind - I am not sure).

7 hours ago, perthuniversity said:

i'll admit i'm biased, but I really struggle to see how most of the charges are as serious as they are making out, the exim bank is supposed to loan money so neighbouring countries can but thai goods and services

conflict of interest? possibly, but it's also very possible that the conflict of interest was acknowledged, disclosed, etc

It certainly was not acknowledged.  It was extremely shady to say the least.  There is no "possibly" about it.  Think about it, the Prime Minister of a nation authorising / ordering a government bank to give a low interest loan to a cruel military dictatorship, under several UN sanctions, for it to buy equipment from his personal company, thereby enriching him greatly.

Why is that only "possibly" a conflict of interest?  It couldn't be a clearer breach.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 2

The article in Thai pbs lacks precision, as often. The part of the loan that was later used to buy Shin Corps products was 400 Million, accordind to the ASC. What was the cost of the reduced interest rate for a 400 Million loan over 3 years? 10% (40 million), 20% (80 million)?