Thai baht lowest since January

webfact

12 hours ago, choff56 said:

Good choice, because the Thai people really don't like you.

You don't mention your country - it is still cheaper for rental housing, medical care cost of local food etc. in Thailand. Why buy homes or condos in Thailand rents are very cheap and seem to be getting cheaper - overbuilt 

• Like 2

Chrisandsu I like your response.  I feel the same.  I have repatriated a huge amount from the sale of 2 condos at a great rate and free of charge and I will never buy in Thailand again at these exchange rates.

I will buy a capital item in England with the proceeds.  There is no capital appreciation of property in Thailand with possibly one exception : Bangkok.  The profit comes only from the repatriation of the proceeds.  I will rent when I return after the UK Summer.  OK if we see rates in the 70's baht to the £ Sterling again as in 2006/07 easy to bring the money back for a double whammy !

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Postmaster said:

OK if we see rates in the 70's baht to the £ Sterling again as in 2006/07 easy to bring the money back for a double whammy !

I remember it being 76 baht to 1 gbp

even prior to brexit it was around 55 baht to 1 gbp

along with inflation of common items that’s a huge difference in cost of living in Thailand 

im hoping when brexit is over the gbp might regain a little 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

One could only dream... basically cost of living for anyone bringing in money from overseas went up over 10% over the past few years.

Closer to 20% for Brits....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Agree Trans but a bottle of HP does last a year in my gaff , so HP price goes up and down if you shake it.

For me it lasts a couple of weeks, but I am very naughty and water it down a bit with vinegar....????

19 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

One could only dream... basically cost of living for anyone bringing in money from overseas went up over 10% over the past few years.

20% to 25% for those those of us less fortunate to be relying on other currencies to sustain ourselves

• Like 1

1 minute ago, berrec said:

What about the poor AUD dollar, it killing me...................

Aud to Thai Conversion.png

Its terrible. Thinking of selling condo and heading back to oz for year or 2. At least will have a profit on exchange rate

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mehrdad said:

As a FARANG ,,, i missing year 2002 with 1 $ == 43 thai baht ! 

That was a nice exch rate.

I remember that year  getting just over 44/USD at a  money changer  right  outside the entrance to Walking Street.

Memories of things past.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

And that increase was only due to currency exchange rates...not mentioning the increased costs of everything else here. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

I am back in OZ now and it all seems relatively cheap for basic shopping for food items of great quality.

Cant go wrong when a dollar is worth a dollar. I was there to and agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cmrichsw said:

You don't mention your country - it is still cheaper for rental housing, medical care cost of local food etc. in Thailand.and seem to be getting cheaper - overbuilt 

"Why buy homes or condos in Thailand, rents are very cheap" i used to think the same , until your landlord after 4 years ,wants his house back and you have to find a new home near where you like to live, for your dogs and cats, furniture oh yes and wifey too. :coffee1: sorry cant get the quote section working properly??

Edited by brianthainess

4 hours ago, mstevens said:

Pretty much anything imported (and the same things imported in to Western countries are often MUCH cheaper!)

This is often correct. But there is a tiny difference. The market for these products in western countries is huge. Here often only expats buy these products. This might be the reason why these products are more expensive here. 

5 minutes ago, Beggar said:

This is often correct. But there is a tiny difference. The market for these products in western countries is huge. Here often only expats buy these products. This might be the reason why these products are more expensive here. 

The "luxury' tax applied to most Western imported products, which seems to be anywhere from 50-200%, might be the reason rather than demand. The incredibly high import tax might affect demand.

• Like 2