Which drink is "healthy"?

On 5/3/2019 at 12:05 PM, Mike Teavee said:

My dentist has warned me off drinking soda water (or any carbonated drinks for that matter) as he says it wears the enamel on your teeth much quicker than non-carbonated drinks.

Having said that, my favorite non-alcoholic drink is fresh orange juice topped up with soda water (about 30-40% OJ).

For the soda, use a straw so it tends to miss the teeth and goes straight down. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a language discrepancy here.

Soda in USA is a sugary fizzy drink in UK and elsewhere it refers to carbonated water.

The problem of any carbonated drink is that on top of being sugary the carbonation can make the liquid acidic ...in soda water this is less of a problem than in carbonated drinks like Coke.

Is sparkling water bad for your teeth? It's much less erosive than other beverages. As the ADA points out, it has a similar effect on your teeth's enamel as regular, non-carbonated water. To keep your teeth as healthy as possible, the ADA recommends swapping sugary beverages for sparkling water, but not replacing regular, fluoridated water with sparkling water.

Drinking through a straw will have little or no effect either way. Its the overall acidity in your mouth afterwards that is most important.

Archived