Which drink is "healthy"?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Do you know a good recipe to make Ginger Ale at home?
Without the rubbish?

I use to make myself Green Tea at home (batch of 10 liter each time), put it in the freezer, and drink it with some ice cubes at home.
No sugar added, but I add a little bit of honey to sweeten it.
Delicious.

Unfortunatly, most of the restaurants/coffee shops/bars will not be happy if I come walk in with my own brewed Green Tea.

I just grab a large handful of root sliced thin and bring to the boil in not to much water so its potent.  When cool I add to soda water and sweeten with stevia. Or just  Google

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

My dentist has warned me off drinking soda water (or any carbonated drinks for that matter) as he says it wears the enamel on your teeth much quicker than non-carbonated drinks.

After you sure he wasn't talking about sugary carbonated drinks? Carbonated drinks with no added sugar (soda water has no sugar) are pretty much benign.

According to a Healthline website article on the subject:

Sugar-sweetened carbonated beverages can erode tooth enamel, but plain carbonated water appears relatively harmless.

In addition, there are other health benefits:

Carbonated water has benefits for digestion. It may improve swallowing, increase feelings of fullness and reduce constipation.

My favourite non-alcoholic drink is the one already mentioned by several people, soda water with fresh lime.

I make a big jug of tea (1 liter) first thing in the morning. 2 Tea bags ("Heladiv" from Sri Lanka - much cheaper than "Liptons") and when it cools put it in the fridge. Come the afternoon/ evening a lovely refreshing drink.

20 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Marginally. I did hear that the politically correct people are trying to stop them using the word TONIC as it no longer is. Originally it had quite a lot of quinine to fight off malaria in India and the other Empire countries.

Good job it doesnt have much quinine in anymore, the side effects of that junk are awful, tinitis, trembling, vomiting, fever, even death!!!  Its banned for most uses, it is only rarely used in malaria treatment in those with immunity to other drugs.

21 hours ago, CGW said:

Exactly, if you are sweating a lot a little salt added (good salt like Himalaya - not processed) will replenish lost minerals, but folks insist on looking for sweet, unhealthy, carbonated crap with added chemicals that they convince them selves are ok.

Himalayan salt is a scam.  It is pink because of contaminants, it consists og 84 minerals, only 20 of which the human body requires, the others are useless at best, toxic at worst.  The list includes, mercury, arsenic, lead, thallium, radium, uranium, polonium and plutonium.  That is not a quality salt, that is a filthy dirty salt.

3 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Himalayan salt is a scam.  It is pink because of contaminants, it consists og 84 minerals, only 20 of which the human body requires, the others are useless at best, toxic at worst.  The list includes, mercury, arsenic, lead, thallium, radium, uranium, polonium and plutonium.  That is not a quality salt, that is a filthy dirty salt.

OK, obviously this is not my belief based on what I have read, I am here to learn, not argue, can you please back up what you are stating with certifiable facts?

soda water with a twist of lemon/lime

I make my own tea and then put it in the fridge - no extras... always nice to have ice tea and there are some teas around that are supposed to have health benefits...

cold water is great sometimes too, just not the same water you bathe in

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Glad you are open.

I live my life believing that the first fifty years of your life you learn, thereafter you realise what utter BS you have been indoctrinated with, so yes I am open.

I would need further evidence to be convinced that Himalaya salt is so bad, this is one article written by a retired MD (former Big Pharma employee), do you have more?

She quotes "snopes" as a reliable source - I would strongly disagree with that.

Overall there is a lot of crap written about salt, mainly I think because so much is added to processed food, which I don't eat, I take very little salt, the taste does nothing for me, but obviously we need some extra - at times - still inclined to lead towards a natural product rather than a processed product.

4 minutes ago, CGW said:

I live my life believing that the first fifty years of your life you learn, thereafter you realise what utter BS you have been indoctrinated with, so yes I am open.

I would need further evidence to be convinced that Himalaya salt is so bad, this is one article written by a retired MD (former Big Pharma employee), do you have more?

She quotes "snopes" as a reliable source - I would strongly disagree with that.

Overall there is a lot of crap written about salt, mainly I think because so much is added to processed food, which I don't eat, I take very little salt, the taste does nothing for me, but obviously we need some extra - at times - still inclined to lead towards a natural product rather than a processed product.

Ok, lets turn this one around, you claim it is healthy, please provide a reputable source to back up that claim.

You can actually do your own research, look at the mineral content of pink salt, look at the mineral needs of a human, take all the remaining minerals found in the salt and look up the effects of those on the human.  Surely you are at least aware that radioactive isotopes are not beneficial? 

The claim that as the salt contains no "added" toxic elements shouldn't fool anyone, it contains toxic elements none the less.

The claim that this salt is healthy was made by retailers, trust them over doctors if you like, your mention of big pharma really says it all, she was a doctor not a big pharma employee.

I make a big jug of tea (1 liter) first thing in the morning. 2 Tea bags ("Heladiv" from Sri Lanka - much cheaper than "Liptons") and when it cools put it in the fridge. Come the afternoon/ evening a lovely refreshing drink.
Who sells the Heladiv?

9 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

The claim that this salt is healthy was made by retailers, trust them over doctors if you like, your mention of big pharma really says it all, she was a doctor not a big pharma employee.

This is where our opinions differ, so will leave it at that, I will stay open minded unless there is better source or proof available.

Lots of real herbal teas from home

Ginger tea

Green tea

Lemon or cucumber water or just plain water

Coffee (self roasted, either drunk as espresso or pour-over)

Apple cider vinegar with honey (real honey)

Fresh fruit juices (Like beetroot based ones the most)

Archived