Do you trust Mobile Banking apps here?

Krungsri, SCB etc - these mobile banking apps are convenient for checking and transferring money on the move.

BUT...

How worried are you on a scale of 1 to 10 about fraud?

I know you have to enter an additional passcode for the apps but I am sure hackers are always looking for ways to get our money.

Just wondering if you use mobile banking in Thailand and if you feel worried about getting hacked, getting your phone stolen and used before you have a chance to go to your bank and tell them to cancel your mobile banking etc.

Cheers guys

The worry with banking in Thailand (not necessarily just online apps, but all banking) is not so much that something will happen, but if something happens whether the bank would show a genuine interest in putting it right. If you can show that without a shadow of a doubt money has been withdrawn from your account and it was not you, will they help you, and will they restore the balance (as many banks in the West would)?

• Like 1

Related to this subject, what is the most secured: using the banking mobile apps or using the web banking through browser and computer?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

don't use them on public wifi of any type.

cell data only or your home network.

make sure your phone is password protected.

never ever let anyone know your bank app PIN number.

almost six years with Bangkok Bank and SCB apps. no security problems yet.

and both apps have come a long way with stability. with BB being IMO far better designed.

Very good advice, and if really worried, the new iphones with facial recognition are the best smartphones to get. Better than fingerprint scan, though I think the new Samsungs also have iris scan?

48 minutes ago, moana said:

There's absolutely no problem using them on public WiFi. They all use TLS encryption with hardened cipher suites, so no one eavesdropping between you and the bank can gather anything useful. 

I agree.  If one is really paranoid then a VPN running in the background provides another layer of security but it's not really necessary.

• Like 2

I regularly use the K+ app.  Even if my phone is stolen, it needs my fingerprint, or a 6 digit PIN, to log in every time.

And, I have no greater concerns over potential fraud than I do with my Singapore and Australia mobile banking apps.

Edited by ballpoint
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, jphasia said:

Related to this subject, what is the most secured: using the banking mobile apps or using the web banking through browser and computer?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I read somewhere that using the web banking app is more secure than mobile banking apps, but I presume that if one uses good security practices; only download recognised apps, awareness of phishing scams, long alphanumerical passwords, then mobile banking should be safe. 

• Like 1

I never had a need for such things, so, no need to trust or not... I just use cash and have ATM cards from home country...

If you want something to worry about - if the internet dies tomorrow, I have no paper trail of my bank balance yesterday or any time on my bank and investment accounts... what would serve as proof? 

• Confused 1

I've been here for 8 years and just started using them on my phone mainly to check my balance.

Much more secure than credit/debit cards, which require only a signature at POS (sometimes not even that).  And infinitely more secure than cash.

• Thanks 1

I do 6 months about in Thailand, as soon as I try to access my Santander U.K. mobile account. Santander immediately block any approach from  Thailand. Just goes to show how worldwide banks view Thailand they know it’s just full of thieves. Including the banking system 

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, Caine said:

I do 6 months about in Thailand, as soon as I try to access my Santander U.K. mobile account. Santander immediately block any approach from  Thailand. Just goes to show how worldwide banks view Thailand they know it’s just full of thieves. Including the banking system 

In fairness my current account and 123 credit card are also held with Santander UK but never have a problem logging on to the mobile app from LOS.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mstevens said:

The worry with banking in Thailand (not necessarily just online apps, but all banking) is not so much that something will happen, but if something happens whether the bank would show a genuine interest in putting it right. If you can show that without a shadow of a doubt money has been withdrawn from your account and it was not you, will they help you, and will they restore the balance (as many banks in the West would)?

In my case that remains to be seen. There is a topic going on about it in the Banking forum.

Bangkok Bank App for mobile devices.

YES ... trusted ... 10/10 not only if there a username and password but the APP IS ALSO LINKED TO YOUR SPECIFIC MOBILE DEVICE.

You can even set up the App from and BKKBank ATM machine ... just follow the instructions carefully ... and for those with Te4ch Phobia ... just ask Bank Staff.

This has saved me LOADS OF TIME.

What I might give a low score to e.g. 0/10 is for some of the users who are silly enough to loan out their machines and usernames and passwords .... or access the Bank App while on public networks ... or don't log off after a session  .... this is referred to as an "user Interface Error"

image.jpeg.1f84f3ceb0244d719b8bd8a87e11304d.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kenk24 said:

I never had a need for such things, so, no need to trust or not... I just use cash and have ATM cards from home country...

If you want something to worry about - if the internet dies tomorrow, I have no paper trail of my bank balance yesterday or any time on my bank and investment accounts... what would serve as proof? 

If you want a paper trail .... then anything you see on a screen can be printed on to a dead tree ... or just take screen shots to put in a folder.

• Like 1