U.S Embassy letter no longer be accepted in Chanthaburi

Hello all,

The lawyer handling my wife's U.S. spousal visa just called me to say that he had called my immigration office in Chanthaburi City, and they said that U.S. Embassy letters from December 2018 were too old to still use for retirement extensions. 

It's a small office, only two IO's and only one speaks English.  My lawyer is Thai, so I'm not sure which IO he spoke with. 

My wife and I are traveling to Chanthaburi City next Wednesday to visit this IO to try and get my annual Retirement extension. I have the embassy letter from December 21, 2018 which will make it only 4 months and 17 days old. Was the 6 month's validity promise in writing anywhere that I could show them? Or was it just a statement from the embassy's off the cuff? I can't remember if it was ever endorsed by Thai immigration?

I'll certainly report back to the forum after my visit next week.  I need to stay in Thailand another 4 to 6 months until my wife's CR-1 spousal visa is approved. Any ideas for this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

DH

But, aren't some offices requiring documentation that the income claimed in the Embassy letter is valid?  And even being deposited into a Thai bank, in some reports monthly for the past twelve months?  Perhaps this is what the lawyer means when he says that the Embassy letter is "no longer accepted", i.e. that is not accepted without additional documentation.

6 minutes ago, NancyL said:

But, aren't some offices requiring documentation that the income claimed in the Embassy letter is valid?  And even being deposited into a Thai bank, in some reports monthly for the past twelve months?  Perhaps this is what the lawyer means when he says that the Embassy letter is "no longer accepted", i.e. that is not accepted without additional documentation.

Some offices are asking for backup proof for the affidavit. But not all of them.

I doubt that is what the lawyer means.

Just now, NancyL said:

Thank you, NancyL, for your kind reply.

As I did when I applied for my extension last year, I will supply official award statements from U.S. Social Security and my other two pensions. I will also provide my U.S. bank statements clearly showing these specific amounts being directly deposited on a monthly basis. These total amounts will exactly match the dollar/baht amount on the embassy letter of income.

If you have evidence of monthly payments being deposited into a Thai bank account for the past 12 months, you don't need the embassy letter. This corresponds with the letters from the U.S., Uk, and Australian embassy's no longer being issued.

My understanding was that an U.S. embassy letter issued in December 2018 would still be honored, within a six month time period, which would enable me to extend my retirement under the old policies, i.e., not needing money deposited or transferred into a "Thai" bank account.

Thanks, again for your kind reply to my question.

DH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

As alway, thanks, ubonjoe, for this information. I will certainly take this letter with me to the IO next week. It may help... Thanks!!

DH

Not all offices have allowed embassy letters that are months old, even before the recent change. Note that the directive is ambiguous when is says “should not exceed 6 months”.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

I'll certainly report back to the forum after my visit next week.  I need to stay in Thailand another 4 to 6 months until my wife's CR-1 spousal visa is approved. Any ideas for this would be appreciated.

If you’re unable to renew your ‘retirement extension’ you could try for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. That can be issued without financials.

At the end of the 60 days (or at the end of your current stay) you could go to Thai embassy in a neighbouring country and get a Single Entry Non ‘O’ visa as the spouse of a Thai. That gives you 90 days on entry and is extendable by 60 days if required.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, elviajero said:

If you’re unable to renew your ‘retirement extension’ you could try for a 60 day extension to visit your wife. That can be issued without financials.

At the end of the 60 days (or at the end of your current stay) you could go to Thai embassy in a neighbouring country and get a Single Entry Non ‘O’ visa as the spouse of a Thai. That gives you 90 days on entry and is extendable by 60 days if required.

How would I go about getting the 60 day extension?  It's possible that that may be enough time for my wife's U.S. visa to come through.

I'm aware of the "Non-O" option, as there was a recent thread about going to Savannakhet or HCMC to get one, with no financials being required. But that would be costly and I would have a hard time getting to either of these places from here in Chanthaburi province. I don't think there is bus service to Savannakhet from here. And certainly no air service to try for HCMC.

The "60 Day" extension sounds like a great option, but not sure how to go about getting it. 

Thanks for the very helpful reply...

DH

27 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

How would I go about getting the 60 day extension?  It's possible that that may be enough time for my wife's U.S. visa to come through.

I'm aware of the "Non-O" option, as there was a recent thread about going to Savannakhet or HCMC to get one, with no financials being required. But that would be costly and I would have a hard time getting to either of these places from here in Chanthaburi province. I don't think there is bus service to Savannakhet from here. And certainly no air service to try for HCMC.

The "60 Day" extension sounds like a great option, but not sure how to go about getting it. 

Thanks for the very helpful reply...

DH

You need your passport your wifes ID your mar' cert and house book, copies of all of them, fill in the application form with the reason to stay with my wife and 1900 baht.

Some offices will check for TM 30/28 as well.

It's a simple process

Edit

Photos of you and wife and she must go with you. Some offices take the photo thenselves.

Edited by overherebc

28 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

At the end of each year you can leave or apply for any extension you qualify for; so instead of requesting another ‘retirement extension’ you can request a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

The requirements can vary, but here is a basic list;

• Original marriage certificate plus signed copy.
  • Signed copies of wife's ID and Tabien Baan.
  • Signed copies of your passport pages: ID page, visa, entry stamp, departure card.
  • 1 x photo 6 x 4.
  • Maybe they will want form TM30. This is the form used by the Owner/House-master to report that you are staying with them.

35 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

I'm aware of the "Non-O" option, as there was a recent thread about going to Savannakhet or HCMC to get one, with no financials being required. But that would be costly and I would have a hard time getting to either of these places from here in Chanthaburi province.

If the 60 days is not enough you could do a border hop to get a 30 day visa exempt entry at one the crossings in Chanthaburi to Cambodia.

Then you could apply for another 60 day extension of that 30 day entry.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, overherebc said:

This is the 60 stamp.

2019-05-05 12.08.33.jpg

Curiosity question.  Where above states: "....permitted up to 17 Mar 2019," is  17 Mar considered the last valid day of the extension or that is the date it is now expired/you would be in overstay status on 17 Mar.   

I assume 17 Mar is the last valid day....and not until 18 Mar would you be in overstay status. 

Edited by Pib

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

I assume 17 Mar is the last valid day....and not until 18 Mar would you be in overstay status. 

The 17th would be the day you have to leave the country. The same wording is used on all extension stamps.

10 minutes ago, Pib said:

Curiosity question.  Where above states: "....permitted up to 17 Mar 2019," is  17 Mar considered the last valid day of the extension or that is the date it is now expired/you would be in overstay status on 17 Mar.   

Valid til midnight on 17th.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

You need your passport your wifes ID your mar' cert and house book, copies of all of them, fill in the application form with the reason to stay with my wife and 1900 baht.

Some offices will check for TM 30/28 as well.

It's a simple process

Edit

Photos of you and wife and she must go with you. Some offices take the photo thenselves.

Thank you, overherebc, for this great information.

A few questions:

Would my Thai wife's tabbien baan not suffice for the "TM30"? She owns the house.

When you say photos of me and my wife, do you mean headshots or just casual photos of us together? Could we use wedding photos?

And what is a "TM28?" 

And what application form do we use to make this application?

Thanks again for this wonderful advice!

DH

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

At the end of each year you can leave or apply for any extension you qualify for; so instead of requesting another ‘retirement extension’ you can request a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

The requirements can vary, but here is a basic list;

• Original marriage certificate plus signed copy.
  • Signed copies of wife's ID and Tabien Baan.
  • Signed copies of your passport pages: ID page, visa, entry stamp, departure card.
  • 1 x photo 6 x 4.
  • Maybe they will want form TM30. This is the form used by the Owner/House-master to report that you are staying with them.

Wow!! Thank you so much...you and "overherebc" and "ubonjoe" have been extremely helpful to my situation.

Is there a specific form # I would use to make this "60 day" application?

Thanks, again!!

DH

8 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

Thank you, overherebc, for this great information.

A few questions:

Would my Thai wife's tabbien baan not suffice for the "TM30"? She owns the house.

When you say photos of me and my wife, do you mean headshots or just casual photos of us together? Could we use wedding photos?

And what is a "TM28?" 

Thanks again for this wonderful advice!

DH

Standard visa size photo of you and if you want belt and braces one of you together.

My local Imm' like to take one of us together in the office, not all offices are the same though.

2 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

You would use a TM7 form that is used for all extension applications.

3 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

Wow!! Thank you so much...you and "overherebc" and "ubonjoe" have been extremely helpful to my situation.

Thanks, again!!

DH

Office has the form.

16 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

Maybe/probably! 

Some offices will still insist your wife completes the TM.30.

They're not usually required for a 60 day extension. If required they typically want a pictures of you and your wife around the house including; sitting on the bed, outside the front of your house.

And what is a "TM28?" 

Shouldn't be needed. It’s for a foreigner to report a change of address.

TM.47.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You would use a TM7 form that is used for all extension applications.

As alway, thank you ubonjoe for this wonderful information!!!  

I can go ahead and fill out the online fillable version like I have for the Retirement extension. Just use "60" instead of "365," and use "Stay with Thai wife" instead of "Retirement."

Thanks, again!

DH

3 minutes ago, elviajero said:

TM.47.

Thanks again for answering all my questions....but ubonjoe thinks it's the "TM7."

Thanks,

DH

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Apparently a typo since a TM47 form is for 90 day reports.

That's what I thought too...

But I'm thankful to all the kind people, including yourself, who have responded to my dilemma...this has turned into a very happy day for me and my wife....

Thank you to all who have replied with very helpful information.

DH

7 minutes ago, david555 said:

They don't care , local law is followed …,as we all should know ! Even when new police orders are out 

Unfortunately, for me and many other expats, I know you're right...

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, david555 said:

They don't care , local law is followed …,as we all should know ! Even when new police orders are out 

I posted that to confirm there is a immigration directive for it. Many offices have honored it.

I have used income proof that was 4 months old before.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I posted that to confirm there is a immigration directive for it. Many offices have honored it.

I have used income proof that was 4 months old before.

I know Ubon Joe you know it the best of all of the existing and new rules better than 90% (if not 99%) of the I.O.'s???? , I was just pointing out that it is mostly still a gamble with the lenience or the keeping valid 6 months from 31 Dec 2018 valid Emb. Letters from those few Embassy's , but even there is a different directions from some 2 and some 3 months seasoning demanding , just pointing out  better to inform localy at the Immigration office …., and even then …??

You give always the correct information , a pity the I.O.'s don't follow them 

Edited by david555
  • Like 1