Underage motorcyclists hurt in Plutaluang wreck

Rimmer

image.png

SATTAHIP:--Two 15-year-olds were severely injured when their motorbike cut off a pickup truck in Plutaluang.

Sawitee Rabreuang and Thanya Samranreuan were struck by the Toyota Vigo on Sukhumvit Road May 3. They were transported to Queen Sirikit Naval Medical Center.

Pickup driver Naris Seangsanor, 52, said he was en route to a funeral when he spotted the motorbike parked on the side of the road. Just as he drove past, the two girls hit the gas, trying to make a U-turn in front of him and got hit.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-05-07--

10 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

Surely its about time the authorities should start fining parents who let their kids operate motorcycles underage and unlicensed.   

Nobody cares! The rich have motorcades or top of the line luxury vehicles.

They don't ride motorbikes or let their kids use them

Chauffeurs will be used to ferry the rich brats around

Edited by Sticky Wicket
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

I'm not a connoisseur, so I don't know what cc the motorbike is. I'm guessing the Pattaya Mail must know it's more than 110cc for them to be 'underage'?

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Surely its about time the authorities should fine the parents who let their kids operate motorcycles underage and unlicensed.

Agreed 100%.

And why don't they ?

Maybe they never thought of that idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Pickup driver Naris Seangsanor, 52, said he was en route to a funeral

Let's hope he doesn't have to attend two more.

I've perused the Pattaya Mail article and also no mention of whether the girls were wearing helmets but most unlikely.

4 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Agreed 100%.

And why don't they ?

That's what I can never understand here, like parents worldwide, the Thai love their kids yet are incredibly irresponsible in the duty of keeping them safe. My stepdaughter drives a car with blacked out windscreen which I refuse to drive after dark because it's downright dangerous. No matter how much I threaten and cajole her, she won't get it changed. This is because my wife keeps backing her and says "It's normal here". She's a schoolteacher and thinks the world of our daughter so you'd think she'd back me in this.

2 hours ago, jesimps said:

That's what I can never understand here, like parents worldwide, the Thai love their kids yet are incredibly irresponsible in the duty of keeping them safe. My stepdaughter drives a car with blacked out windscreen which I refuse to drive after dark because it's downright dangerous. No matter how much I threaten and cajole her, she won't get it changed. This is because my wife keeps backing her and says "It's normal here". She's a schoolteacher and thinks the world of our daughter so you'd think she'd back me in this.

Yep.

Western mentality versus Thai mentality.

4 minutes ago, Pattaya28 said:
2 hours ago, jesimps said:

Yep.

Western mentality versus Thai mentality.

Talking about driving after dark, this is to do with my night vision becoming really bad over the past couple of years. Daytime is fine.

I told my wife I wouldn't be prepared to drive at night any more, as I just couldn't see the road and surroundings well enough.

Her initial reaction was to suggest I 'drive slowly' and then suggested I drive the car instead of the motorbike as 'it has better lights'. She missed the point completely.

My FIL (about five years older than me) later told me he suffers the same with a lack of night vision and doesn't like driving at night unless he absolutely has to.

Apparently it's not uncommon when you become an old git.

6 minutes ago, OneEyedPie said:

And where did this learned behaviour come from?

It's still a common belief among the great unwashed that if there is an accident involving a bike and a car/pick-up that the car/pick-up will be at fault.

Reason for the belief I don't understand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It's still a common belief among the great unwashed that if there is an accident involving a bike and a car/pick-up that the car/pick-up will be at fault.

Reason for the belief I don't understand.

My post was in regard to where these kids pick up their habits.  The answer is surely their peers and parents'.

As to the aforementioned quote I suspect it's to do with the one who's left standing pays.  It's much easier to play the blame game rather than actually investigate the cause of the crash.  You know, measuring skid marks, investigating the road and vehicular conditions, identifying and viewing dashcam evidence but that's a whole load of work, effort and paperwork.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Surely its about time the authorities should fine the parents who let their kids operate motorcycles underage and unlicensed.   

10 hours ago, Pattaya28 said:

Agreed 100%.

And why don't they ?

That’s a bit much. Inconveniencing everyone because of this girls mistake. Make them walk for miles on busy roads?

Most 15 year old Thai kids are fine on bikes. Kids have got to get to school etc. Single parents working, living on the outskirts.

The girl should have looked. It happens to older riders as well. 

• Like 1

Thailand fails it's citizens around 25,000 times a year on the roads.

Truly and Nation that does not care.

Parents, Police, Schools and Government, are all guilty of not caring for the children

of Thailand,  you should be ashamed of yourselves. :bah:

Hope the girls make a speedy recovery. :jap:

20 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

It would seem to be a simple measure to stop them and confiscate, but mostly as kids can't be prosecuted, they are let by unhindered. There is also a strange attitude with the elder Thais that it is of no issue to let their 9 or 10 year old kid whiz around on a bike. Or even they become passengers while their kid drives! Or the elder drives with his 2 toddlers and wife are passengers! 

They are quick to cry when it all goes wrong, and guess whose fault it will be if you are involved. 

21 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

That's more than half the population... judging by the age of children riding to school every day.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I believe all 'private' sam lor motorcycle combos are unlicencable, uninsurable and practically impossible to get a licence to drive legally , who ever You are.

I am sickened each and every day when I see the underage school kids (10-13 years old) riding up and down the streets - no helmets, often 2 or 3 on a motorcycle knowing it is only a matter of time before there are more funerals to attend.

• Like 1