Trial date set for Elon Musk's 'pedo guy' tweet

rooster59

Trial date set for Elon Musk's 'pedo guy' tweet

By Jonathan Stempel

800x800 (5).jpg

FILE PHOTO: Tesla CEO Elon Musk speaks at Manhattan federal court after a hearing on his fraud settlement with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in New York City, U.S. April 4, 2019. REUTERS/Brendan McDermid/File Photo

(Reuters) - A U.S. judge on Friday said Elon Musk must face a defamation lawsuit by a British diver who said he was falsely branded a pedophile and child rapist by the chief executive of electric car company Tesla Inc.

U.S. District Judge Stephen Wilson in Los Angeles said a reasonable jury could conclude that Musk's comments were more than merely opinions, and scheduled a trial for Oct. 22.

The judge had on April 26 denied Musk's bid to dismiss the lawsuit brought by diver Vernon Unsworth, without explaining his reasoning.

Musk's lawyers did not immediately respond on Friday to requests for comment.

Unsworth, who said in his lawsuit he shared a house in the Thailand countryside with a 40-year-old woman who owned a nail salon, was part of a team that helped rescue 12 boys and their soccer coach from a Thailand cave last July 10.

He said he became a target for Musk after saying on CNN that a mini-submarine offered for the rescue by Musk from his company SpaceX, where he is also chief executive, was a "PR stunt" and that Musk could "stick his submarine where it hurts."

Musk later called Unsworth "pedo guy" on Twitter, a comment for which he apologized. He also urged a BuzzFeed News reporter by email to investigate Unsworth and "stop defending child rapists."

Unsworth has denied those allegations.

In seeking a dismissal, Musk's lawyers said such comments were "imaginative" or "over-the-top" insults that constituted protected opinion under the U.S. First Amendment.

But the judge said Musk was not communicating in "heated and volatile" settings that might explain any excesses.

"Considering the totality of the circumstances - including the general context of defendant's statements, the specific context of the statements, and the statements' susceptibility of being proved true or false - a reasonable factfinder could easily conclude that defendant's statements, as pleaded in the complaint, implied assertions of objective fact," Wilson wrote.

Wilson said in a footnote he has not found that reasonable jurors would "necessarily" view Musk's comments as factual.

"The significance of the ruling is clear: publication of accusations on Twitter does not provide a safe harbor for defamatory statements that are false and convey that they are factual," Unsworth's lawyer L. Lin Wood said in an email.

Unsworth is seeking at least $75,000 in compensatory damages plus punitive damages in his Sept. 2018 lawsuit.

On April 30, a Manhattan federal judge approved Musk's revised settlement with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission setting out when Musk must obtain advance approval from a Tesla securities lawyer before posting on Twitter or other social media.

The case is Unsworth v Musk, U.S. District Court, Central District of California, No. 18-08048.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-05-11

23 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Well, be careful what you wish for. Musk literally asked Unsworth to sue him. 

What significance does that have? How could that impact the trial or the result of the trial?

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Unsworth has an interesting lawyer: L. Lin Wood. One of our more successful "Ambulance Chasers".

Seems like pursuing a lawsuit, with little standing in the U.S., and continually having one's name associated with "pedo" is not particularly bright?

Assuming it is not settled, and Unsworth's lawyer obviously wants a payday, not sure how a jury would decide. Screw the rich guy, or give some ferner, albeit heroic, a big settlement?

Is Unsworth pursuing a case in the U.K. as well?

Chain of nail salons coming soon? "Nailed It".

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Great to see Musk having to go to court and face the music! The stupid, arrogant prick thought he could say and do as he liked and just because he is loaded, could just palm the guy off with a piss poor apology and a few satang. Well done to that judge who made sure he has to appear in person. Good luck to Unsworth, I hope he scores a million!

Whatever you think of him stupid he isn't

1 hour ago, Dukeleto said:

I have to wonder if Musk was worth nothing if Mr. Unsworth would be pursuing the matter after receiving an apology from Musk. After all, telling someone who was trying to help you, to stick a submarine clearly up their own arse is uncouth, uncalled for and was attention grabbing and inflammatory. Unsworth could have done the gentlemanly thing and let bygones be bygones but the scent of money and a comfortable retirement seem to be his only objective disguised as indignation in a spat between school yard boys on social media. So what if the whole playground heard it! In my opinion Mr. Unsworth has gone from "Hero" to someone who pans for gold, lest I too find myself facing a lawsuit for saying something more directly, and any kudos he received for those rescue efforts are now somewhat tarnished. Sure Elon was out of line but so was Mr. Unsworth and its a mountain out of a molehill scenario. I do hope, in this case, that the jury sees this for what it is and tosses it out. Both of them simply need to shake hands and BOTH apologise for passing childish comments! I mean honestly, I think Unsworth saying that particular statement to someone like Musk appears to be borderline premeditated in order to achieve this exact result! I am unimpressed by both men.

One of the best comments ever!

I could come out and say many things about both parties but they won't go for me because I haven't got a cent to my name.  In my time if you got into a scrap with someone you would have it out and the best man would win and then pick up the other guy and buy him a beer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

I can't believe this spat is going to court. They were both in the wrong. Unsworth made some dirty joke about where to put Musk's submarine, and Musk made sexual slurs against Unsworth. Tit for tat. Nobody is a hero here. Seems to me like egos running amok. How about they both apologize to each other, it was an emotionally heated time and they both desperately wanted to help. No need to enrich a bunch of lawyers. Shake hands, and go for a pint together. Job done.

You couldn't be a judge, leave it to someone who has that mental capacity.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Benmart said:

Many toss the word paedophile around in all its forms. I wonder how many know the definition?

You've got to wonder what is with some peoples obsession with pointing out that you're not a pedo according to the dictionary if the child you are attracted to has started puberty.

Anyway, do you mean the definition found in the dictionary or do you mean the accepted legal definition? 

They are quite different, the former may exhonerate in your mind, but its the latter that counts, and that definition just says children, legally it means attraction to the underage.

I hope Elon doesn't give one cent to this guy. Elon has already apologised. Vernon is clearly exploiting the situation for financial gain. As for tarnishing reputations, it's Elon who has most to lose. And what about Thailand, will this effect Elon's decision making when it comes to his investments in Thailand? He's just built a massive Tesla factory in China. If Elon loses this case would he ever come back to Thailand? This has negative impacts for the future all because of the pursuit for financial gain.

VERD.png

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, manchega said:

he is gifted at something but running companies that produce profit is not one of them.  I really don't understand how the number of investors increases still

Sure, he was given the majority, $10,000 by his rich daddy, and he didnt make anything from his first venture, zip2, only 300 million, or his second, x.com, only a billion, and then spacex, what a disaster, its only profitted 19 billion, and now Tesla, a measly 43 billion, what are the investors thinking?

Edited by Kieran00001
  • Like 2