Parents prepare for new school term

rooster59

Parents prepare for new school term

Tanakorn Sangiam

6b4418eab2913a679ed014899e3b2856.jpg

BANGKOK, 11 May 2019 (NNT) - A new school term is starting next week. Many parents have been taking their children to purchase school uniforms and stationary for the new school year. In southern border provinces such as Yala, security units have prepared measures to protect teachers during the school opening.

Police officers, the military, and administrative officials in Yala are still operating checkpoints on main roads according to the heightened security measures to inspect suspicious persons and vehicles, preventing perpetrators from causing any incidents during the new school year and the Ramadan period being observed by Thai-Muslim people.

Yala Provincial Police Station Commissioner, Pol Maj Gen Kritsada Kaewchandee revealed today that related agencies have been working together to provide protection for teachers during school terms, with volunteers from the general public providing support for transport safety on several roads. Teachers in the area will commute along routes which avoid areas of repeated violence. The provincial police force is positive this plan will help protect teachers despite causing some inconvenience.

The Office of the Basic Education Commission has ordered all schools under its supervision to prepare for the new school term by checking and cleaning learning media, and ensuring the safety of school buildings. School directors during the first week will be greeting students at the school gate, along with teachers. Each school will be working with the traffic police to ensure students’ safety at road crossings in front of schools.

In Chaiyaphum province, many parents have accompanied their children on outings to purchase essential items for the new school term starting next week. Many retailers and shopping malls are offering discounts, free gifts, and free name embroidering services to attract customers.

The pricing of school uniforms this year has increased slightly, generally just 10 baht more per item compared to last year. Each school uniform is being sold between 170-480 baht depending on the brand and size. Most parents have decided to purchase uniforms at prices of no more than 300 baht each, or purchase only essential items.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-05-12

Why do they have to have several uniforms? normal, sports, casual and boy scout/guides, waste of money for poor families who can't afford this nonsense. Our local School has them all going in casual every Friday, it's a white uniform which looks like pyjamas, day before they march about as boy scouts, crazy.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, akampa said:

As I understand the purchase price is refunded  maybe up to 360baht per student.

Refunded by who? I don’t know where you got this information from but uniform purchases are definitely NOT refunded, just as with book/pens/pencils, school fees, cost of subject books, etc. you seem to have forgotten that this is Thailand, not somewhere where the government actually help with costs of schooling.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Falcon said:

Refunded by who? I don’t know where you got this information from but uniform purchases are definitely NOT refunded, just as with book/pens/pencils, school fees, cost of subject books, etc. you seem to have forgotten that this is Thailand, not somewhere where the government actually help with costs of schooling.

This is a couple of years ago, but I would think it's still the case ....

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has invoked Section 44 of the interim constitution to extend free education from 12 to 15 years.

FEES, TEXTBOOKS & UNIFORMS INCLUDED
The Education Ministry and related government agencies responsible for providing education and ensuring the quality of the 15-year free system are required to present budget proposals to the government for its annual expenditure planning.

The funding of free education includes tuition fees, textbooks, educational equipment, uniforms, activities for developing learning skills, and other expenses approved by the cabinet.

30 minutes ago, Falcon said:

I believe there is some form of household subsidy in place for school attendees.

Do all schools have the policy of stitching in the student's name/ID number? If they were made as a badge that could be stitched on, then the school shirts could be donated to poorer students. Once its stitched it can't be used again, even by a sibling. There also seems to be some difference between private and public school uniforms. That also complicates donations. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

School directors during the first week will be greeting students at the school gate, along with teachers.

Since some parts of the south are essentially war zones: Wasn't that a protocol in combat areas to not salute or do anything out of the ordinary so to help make it not known your who your Commanding Officer is? Better put him or her on a bullet proof vest then.

1 hour ago, Falcon said:

The school refunds

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Prairieboy said:

Thailand is a nation of uniforms - from the armed forces to public employees to students in the vain hope that it will inspire teamwork and unity.  Meanwhile the families with 4 or 5 school age children suffer financially by being forced to buy uniforms for their children. 

For families that can barely afford food or proper housing the unnecessary expenditure of one days salary per uniform is ludicrous.  Imagine a western society where one is forced to spend one day's salary per uniform!  (I understand that at least 2 uniforms of each type are required).  I live very near an elementary school and from personal observation it appears that there are different uniforms required for different days of the week.  For arguments sake let us assume that 3 types of uniforms are required each week, 2 sets of each therefore 6 uniforms at 300 baht each is 1800 baht per child.

I firmly believe school uniforms should be abolished, and textbooks and stationary should be supplied free of charge.

good points should be one uniform and i would be interested to know what corrupt officials are benefiting... if you check you will see the local school principals or administrators in new mercs and often controlling the local canteen, etc.  you know a country is very corrupt when it extends to ripping off children.... and a side note are these uniforms new or they turned in and recycled?

1 hour ago, Falcon said:

You clearly have no idea about education in Thailand.

Parents buy the uniform, then present the bill at the school and get refunded.

Before you try telling me i am wrong, i have just spoken about this with my wife ( school director) and that is what she told me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, tlandtday said:

good points should be one uniform and i would be interested to know what corrupt officials are benefiting... if you check you will see the local school principals or administrators in new mercs and often controlling the local canteen, etc.  you know a country is very corrupt when it extends to ripping off children.... and a side note are these uniforms new or they turned in and recycled?

Absolute BS, MY WIFE IS A SCHOOL DIRECTOR, she is 100% against corruption.

She does not drive a Merc, drives a 2 door Izusu pickup which i bought.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I believe there is some form of household subsidy in place for school attendees.

Last year we kept all the receipts for Little Miss JAG's school uniforms: two sets of white blouse/blue skirt, one Girl Guide uniform, one PT uniform, Friday traditional dress, shoes, PT shoes, regulation schoolbag and windcheater jacket. The whole caboodle was well over B2000. At the end of May we were refunded some B300.

I was so overwhelmed with gratitude that I had to lay down in a darkened room for some time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We spent about 4200 baht for our 3 kids not including shoes backpacks and jackets for the rain.  My youngest sons school gave my wife 300 baht credit back once she showed them the recipts at the school he goes too   older 2 kids are in private international academies and no such rebate was offered or even talked about. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

We spent about 4200 baht for our 3 kids not including shoes backpacks and jackets for the rain.  My youngest sons school gave my wife 300 baht credit back once she showed them the recipts at the school he goes too   older 2 kids are in private international academies and no such rebate was offered or even talked about. 

The way it works is that the Government pays out that B300, no matter whether or not the school is private or government. The money is allocated depending on the number of children enrolled at the school. Your youngest's school was doing what they are supposed to do. I would suggest that private international academies (or persons on their staff) have kept the money - probably reasoning that, given the fees that they charge, the parents really won't be fussed over a lost refund of B300. Perhaps you should form up (with some other parents) and all ask for it - if nothing else it will embarrass the corrupt ones, always fun!

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

Do all schools have the policy of stitching in the student's name/ID number? If they were made as a badge that could be stitched on, then the school shirts could be donated to poorer students. Once its stitched it can't be used again, even by a sibling. There also seems to be some difference between private and public school uniforms. That also complicates donations. 

All part of the plan by the Schools to get the cash strapped parents to part with their money.

In this Country, the children are purely used as conduits between the School Bank Account, and the parents money.

4 hours ago, DavisH said:

That really is a good idea! Unfortunately, however, if uniforms were to be donated/handeddown, then sales of new ones would drop noticeably resulting in a fall in profits for shopowners, suppliers, etc. 

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

You clearly have no idea about education in Thailand.

Parents buy the uniform, then present the bill at the school and get refunded.

Before you try telling me i am wrong, i have just spoken about this with my wife ( school director) and that is what she told me.

My wife has just said it is 500 baht /child refund .her daughter has got back 1000 baht for her 2 kids.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jimmyyy said:

My kids Amphur school want 7,000bht this term, includes shoes and uniforms.

Everything issued by the school, no choice.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 1