Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Mango Bob said:

Why is everyone making a big issue of this?   They want us to have insurance doesn't matter what they say here, and what cost they make up. you have to have it.  Why not talk about the type of policies available.

mainly because it is outright lies, do you expect all of us just to just accept

all this propaganda that is being spread, 

we are Farang not slaves, why are certain posters trying to turn this around. lets talk about the guy who took is wife to the UK and she had to get health

insurance. 2.5 years 900 Pounds .my Quote from this lot 1 year 1.599 pounds

and that was lead never mind gold or silver. 

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there seems to be a huge number problem here. there are about 68m people living in Thailand. I do not think 38m are long term visa holders.

another site says 2.5 m but does not mention long term vs short term. If 2.5m is divided by outstanding medical bills of 300m it comes out to about 120b. per expat.

how about charging 3,000 to renew the visa.

I think a complete study is needed...maybe again. I see most expats are from Asia....poor labor type people.

Thailand should compute the contribution long-term expats make to the economy. It certainly more than 120b. I send 80,000b/month.

If you look at it as a business, then 300m is a small price to pay for 'cost of business'. Sure, Thailand will make a lot more money if expats forced to buy insurance but they will also lose a lot from people leaving...and they will leaving and fewer people coming.

can you imagine if all of a sudden 10,000 (just a guess) condos go on sale in Bangkok, etc. 

this argument is also valid with tourist. what is the cost of business. maybe tourist should pay 500b more per visa.  then simply pay off medical bills that go unpaid

The solution seems easy to me but research is needed.  

I'm already 70 years old coming to 71.

Being long staying here for the last 16 years.

How possible is it to get medical insurance coverage at this age..??

I'm still very healthy and it might cost me a Bomb if insurance company wanted to insured me.

Shits are hitting the fan now and I wanted to leave Thailand and retired either in Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia or The Philippine but found it so difficult to sell off my 2 other condo units as Thai's buyer's found it so difficult to get loans from bank's.

The condos resale markets would get even worst with this new mandatory ruling and I'm <deleted>..!!

Like a Sucker shouldn't had trust Thai government in the first place and this wouldn't had happen if retired in Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam or The Philippine.   

4 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

there seems to be a huge number problem here. there are about 68m people living in Thailand. I do not think 38m are long term visa holders.

another site says 2.5 m but does not mention long term vs short term. If 2.5m is divided by outstanding medical bills of 300m it comes out to about 120b. per expat.

I think a complete study is needed...maybe again. I see most expats are from Asia....poor labor type people.

Thailand should compute the contribution long-term expats make to the economy. It certainly more than 120b. I send 80,000b/month.

If you look at it as a business, then 300m is a small price to pay for 'cost of business'. Sure, Thailand will make a lot more money if expats forced to buy insurance but they will also lose a lot from people leaving...and they will leaving and fewer people coming.

can you imagine if all of a sudden 10,000 (just a guess) condos go on sale in Bangkok, etc. 

this argument is also valid with tourist. what is the cost of business. maybe tourist should pay 500b more per visa.  then simply pay off medical bills that go unpaid

ebeanooi, you made one of the most sensible suggestions I have read

Sadly Thai would not think of it.

charge 3000baht or whatever for a extension is a great idea.

Why is everyone making a big issue of this?   They want us to have insurance doesn't matter what they say here, and what cost they make up. you have to have it.  Why not talk about the type of policies available.

Your post needs a correction "If you want to remain here you have to have it"

I guess that unless they make a specific announcement about those on retirement extensions and marriage visas, we can only wait for accounts from the first (mugs) expats to report for their extensions in July. Will they or won't they? That is the question. From the moment I set foot in Thailand in 2007, I haven't had one scrap of good news regarding immigration requirements or the British pound. I have a Thai wife and stepdaughter, but maybe it is time to work seriously on my contingency plans.

7 minutes ago, Not Another Not Same said:

I'm already 70 years old coming to 71.

Being long staying here for the last 16 years.

How possible is it to get medical insurance coverage at this age..??

I'm still very healthy and it might cost me a Bomb if insurance company wanted to insured me.

Shits are hitting the fan now and I wanted to leave Thailand and retired either in Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia or The Philippine but found it so difficult to sell off my 2 other condo units as Thai's buyer's found it so difficult to get loans from bank's.

The condos resale markets would get even worst with this new mandatory ruling and I'm <deleted>..!!

Like a Sucker shouldn't had trust Thai government in the first place and this wouldn't had happen if retired in Indonesia, Cambodia, Vietnam or The Philippine.   

You can take Indonesia and Vietnam off the list as they both have compulsory insurance for expats.

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Already discussed. Seven Thai companies offering special 'for expat' policies: exorbitant cost, minimal coverage. and forced excessive outpatient care. Doubt they cover any pre-existing parts of your body.

Hopefully later there will be threads about other more reasonable alternatives that fit peoples needs. That would be a good idea. Possibly major medical only (catastrophic) then self insure the rest.

Exactly what I am talking about. At a small nominal cost of 10,000 - 15,000 covers pre-existing nothing scrutinized and for all ages 50 -100 but needs to have some caps on things to make it work. Clauses like drunk on motorbike or no licenses etc would be excluded. I am seriously gonna put this into consideration with some Thai investors.

23 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

there is gonna be a whole lot more money shunning thailand or leaving on this news than coming in. guaranteed.

6 hours ago, arithai12 said:

And could we please see how many millions of Baht the hospitals are making by overcharging medication? And by inflating medical bills when they learn that you have a private insurance?

Not only medication but conning people into all sorts of test that are not needed and overcharging for those 

Correct me if I am wrong but I think in the Philippines if you marry a Pinoy you can join Phil Health. Don’t know if it is any good.
Sorry for sidetracking. But it might of interest if someone wants to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

39 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Granted this will thin out some of the shit foreigners

Oh please. Just because some one does not have the high cost to insure under a suck the money scheme does not make them any worse or better than you. That is a rude statement in itself.

Thailand could look like a savior Golden Goddess if they came up with a cheap wonderful plan that accepts all in all ages at one premium low cost instead of attacking and blaming foreigners all the time..

38 million Non O/A holders - that means 55% of the entire 69 million population of Thailand consists of those who hobbled into the country on Non O/A visas last year.

Shurely shome mishtake with the shtatishtics, offisher! :burp:

They got Dianne Abbott to do the figures (uk guys will know what i mean)

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

By publishing these figures the Public Health Ministry have made themselve look stupid. If they can't get the basics right then how can anyone believe any of the figures.

Rumour has it the person responsible is favourite for the statistician post at the TAT!

41 minutes ago, pollyog said:

500,000 ThB per person

Even that is outrageous when a bright Thai Government team could put together a more reasonable acceptable program to encompass all at virtually very low cost for 10k or a few hundred dollars per year. They have the resources to monitor and charge and embassies and immigration offices already. To get a visa or renew a visa you have to pay up and then by your visa are covered. Easy a s that. They will make a lot of money too as most foreigners do not got to the hospital.

What pees me off is that every immigration office is different with different requirements that change as quick as the weather, it's going to be a nightmare dealing with miserable IO's who want to make your life difficult, I've got insurance and more than what is being asked for but it's still going to be a nightmare, standardize all offices to make everything easier!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

38 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

The original announcement does mention implementing a cash deposit scheme for those who cant get (or dont want) insurance.

I DO NOT want their crap over priced will no pay out dodgy insurance and i think Dr. Thai Whats His Face better have the government allow money in the bank or many will just not be able to afford or refuse to pay. Sorry not into tossing money out the window.

If the Government really wanted to solve this problem why don't they just levy a 1000b charge when renewing the visa/extensions and put that money directly into the health system?

38,000,000 x 1,000 = 38,000,000,000 baht or 10 times what they say they are losing from foreigners not paying.

Instead they just can't resist letting the fat cats get their paws in the honey jar.

The only ones who are going to win out of this are the insurance companies.

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

For instance, foreigners made 3.42 million medical visits last year, and did not pay for 680,000 of them

Hospitals and clinics don't require identification or proof of insurance to be admitted. Upon being discharged, hospitals rely on the patients honesty for payment. Changing visa requirements won't change the fact that the medical industry doesn't enforce payment and payment abuses will likely continue because the officials aren't addressing the root problem.

3 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

The O-A is a 1 year Tourist Visa, and is Not the Non-O Retirement Visa. 

O-A is not a tourist Visa and is issued outside of Thailand. You need this long stay visa if you intend to stay here on the basis of retirement. Non-O Retirement is the only visa issued in Country. 

6 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

That has to be some sort of record, 3-4 things wrong in one statement.

2 minutes ago, Estrada said:

O-A is not a tourist Visa and is issued outside of Thailand. You need this long stay visa if you intend to stay here on the basis of retirement. //

Of course no! You just need a Non-O (not O-A) to get Extensions for reason of Retirement.

3 minutes ago, Estrada said:

Non-O Retirement is the only visa issued in Country. 

Not really issued. It's a "transfer" from your current tourist visa or its exemption.

15 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Can you find any Embassy that still offers a Non-O visa for retirement? I've tried and can only find Non-OA for retirement. Non-O is reserved for marriage/family.  Long ago, Non-O was also used for retirement.

It looks like Foreign Affairs is pushing the idea that Non-OA is now synonymous with retirement.

I have Tricare for Life, I mention this a few times now.  Seems like only a few retired American military here.  But I pay 25% of the bill both inpatient and outpatient up to a max of $3,000 which is around 95,000 baht.  After I met that max I pay nothing for the remainder of the year.  I had this happen around 6 times in the last 13 years.  Also, a few of the big international hospitals here will fill your claim and only charge you the 25% and Tricare pays them the amount due.  If I need insurance here it would add close to the amount of my deductible.  Before 1 July I need to know if these people at immigration will accept this.  They should extend the start to January next year and not push us to get it done in a month and a half.  

I am also on Tricare. Which international hospitals are you referring too? Thanks, Joe.

8 minutes ago, johnny49r said:

Hospitals and clinics don't require identification or proof of insurance to be admitted. Upon being discharged, hospitals rely on the patients honesty for payment. Changing visa requirements won't change the fact that the medical industry doesn't enforce payment and payment abuses will likely continue because the officials aren't addressing the root problem.

Why not do as Tulane hospital New Orleans did when I got knocked down by a bus in 1992..

My girlfriend had to go back to our hotel to get my insurance certificate before they would attend to me..Broken collar bone,facial bruising and lost my sense of smell..If no insurance see proof of funds.

As an aside When I got back to London [2 weeks later] I was taken straight back into hospital [same day] and my collar bone re-broken and reset again as Tulane had done such a crap job.

total BS figures obviously, article meant to justify the graft and 'save face'...

one of the reasons I chose tland to retire (and definitely decided to not stay in the ussa) was the lower cost of health care and lack of govt interference in it. i felt it not a bad idea to insure against 'major XXX' which would wipe my bank account so i have insurance. the outpatient care option isn't for 'major' and deductible amounts must be used first anyways before ins kicks in.

luckily i have never had the first hand experience of hospital admittance but from all i've read over the years it's a close corollary to no money no honey. a bit harsh but i get it.

now it appears da-gooberment says i'm going to have to pay an additional 50,000b annually (above my current ins premium) for lesser total coverage and op/accident coverage which i don't want.

so what is the 800,000b in the bank admittance ticket for? obviously it's not to insure against an  unexpected health issue, and if govt ever said 'sorry you go home now' it's far more than an airline ticky costs.

my frugal (but higher than the avg middle class thai) monthly expenses are all a net positive to the economy and i pay VAT same as all thais do. i like living here as a retiree and i hope the final 'rule' will allow for my current and better level health insurance to be accepted rather than having to downgrade coverage for a far higher price. hopefully my half million or so baht annual input to the economy plus the 800k+ stuck in the bank is valued by da gooberment. i would rather stay than find elsewhere to live, but this insurance graft is looking to be a make or break issue.

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Been waiting for someone to  suggest that. I have a few Thai friends who are accountants, agents, lawyers, etc. Even have an idle 'Thai' company waiting for something to do. Maybe someone will start a thread. Good idea. 

If they are going to repeatedly stick it to the good guys and call us bad guys, then we really need to stand up and stick it back up their little rear ends. Many hurdles and the could try to block it being set up in Thailand, but there are ways around that as well.

Archived