Mandatory health insurance for non-immigrant O-A retirement visa holders likely to take effect in July

snoop1130

34 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

Why is everyone making a big issue of this?   They want us to have insurance doesn't matter what they say here, and what cost they make up. you have to have it.  Why not talk about the type of policies available.

Possibly because they want to know why they need insurance AND 400,000 in the bank.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Don't be silly, they can't be upsetting those cash cows, sorry, tourists. Let's blame all the ex pats in Thailand for the millions of baht that it costs to treat tourists who've got involved in accidents/fights/drunken stupidity, been taken to hospital, then failed to pay.

All this non payment business is news to me, I don't see how its possible.  In 2011 I was involved in a serious accident, I was unconscious, losing a lot of blood and apparently was minutes away from 'shuffling off this mortal coil' - I needed blood fast. When I regained consciousness I learned that my ex M.I.L had to produce her credit card at St Louis Hospital, Sathorn before they would give me a transfusion! My ex wife was then sent out with my ATM card to obtain further funds which they wanted as a deposit before admitting me. I'd even been taken to hospital in the back of a passer by's pick up truck as the ambulance that turned up wanted details of my insurance company before they'd take me - quite how an unconscious man was supposed to produce his insurance, I know not.

2016, Bankgok Hospital, Korat wanted 20,000 baht deposit and proof of my ability to pay the balance before they would admit my ex Mrs for an 'emergency' operation.

How do people fail to pay?

Don't get me started on St Louis. I have zero kind words!

9 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

I struggle to understand all the figures given in this article ??

Mainly:

Surely that is fully incorrect. I would bet tens or hundreds thousands at max, no?

WE know they cant count let alone do mental arithmetic, every time you buy something they bring out a calculator. Bringing the new system in July will give them half a years practice to get the same storyt at immigration LOL; so they will turn high season into low season; fantastic.

I think seriously us foreigners should think of making up our own insurance company here. I do have a close Thai friend who would greatly consider it. Only for the expats over 50 - 100yrs old and has basic coverage to keep the dogs off of our backs. Hire Thai and pay them Thai wages to manage all the account with bonuses at the end of the year for them to be kind.

1000 Thai x 25000 per month x 12 = 300,000,000 in salary per year. So doable if we manage the criteria for going t o hospital. Could have a clause for outpatient, but then an agreement all expats would just pay that out of pocket. 

47 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

Why is everyone making a big issue of this?   They want us to have insurance doesn't matter what they say here, and what cost they make up. you have to have it.  Why not talk about the type of policies available.

Already discussed. Seven Thai companies offering special 'for expat' policies: exorbitant cost, minimal coverage. and forced excessive outpatient care. Doubt they cover any pre-existing parts of your body.

Hopefully later there will be threads about other more reasonable alternatives that fit peoples needs. That would be a good idea. Possibly major medical only (catastrophic) then self insure the rest.

Example...

a farang crosses the road at a zebra crossing.

A drunk Thai pick up driver smashes into him resulting in 2 broken legs and a skull fracture for the farang so  he gets admitted in a hospital.

Driver admits responsibility but has not insurance..

Are these the cases that hospitals blaming on foreigners for not paying their hospital bills?

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

I think seriously us foreigners should think of making up our own insurance company here. I do have a close Thai friend who would greatly consider it. Only for the expats over 50 - 100yrs old and has basic coverage to keep the dogs off of our backs. Hire Thai and pay them Thai wages to manage all the account with bonuses at the end of the year for them to be kind.

1000 Thai x 25000 per month x 12 = 300,000,000 in salary per year. So doable if we manage the criteria for going t o hospital. Could have a clause for outpatient, but then an agreement all expats would just pay that out of pocket. 

Been waiting for someone to  suggest that. I have a few Thai friends who are accountants, agents, lawyers, etc. Even have an idle 'Thai' company waiting for something to do. Maybe someone will start a thread. Good idea. 

58 minutes ago, Mango Bob said:

Because many do not trust insurance companies as far as the can toss them . I would prefer to save my money and pay out of pocket. Chances are excellent the companies won,t pay shit when the time comes.

"Last year, foreigners incurred Bt305 million in unpaid medical bills."

I'd like to see truthful stats of what proportion of that was incurred by people on OA visa. I'm willing to bet the farm that it was mainly short stay tourists who came without travel insurance. I refuse to believe that in 2018 there were 680,000 unpaid bills amounting to 305M left owing by people in that category.

I looked up the insurance they say, what a rip off 55000b for a year and only pay out 400000b ,I got motorcycle accident insurance  pay out 1000000b for 1200b a year 

I have Tricare for Life, I mention this a few times now.  Seems like only a few retired American military here.  But I pay 25% of the bill both inpatient and outpatient up to a max of $3,000 which is around 95,000 baht.  After I met that max I pay nothing for the remainder of the year.  I had this happen around 6 times in the last 13 years.  Also, a few of the big international hospitals here will fill your claim and only charge you the 25% and Tricare pays them the amount due.  If I need insurance here it would add close to the amount of my deductible.  Before 1 July I need to know if these people at immigration will accept this.  They should extend the start to January next year and not push us to get it done in a month and a half.  

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“We will ask the Immigration Bureau, the Foreign Ministry and the Insurance Department for additional details and implementation guidelines next week,”

Should be an interesting meeting,

immigration can finally explain to the ministry of Health that they do not issue, renew or extend visa's, embassies issue them and nobody extends or renews visa's. Immigration can also explain that they issue "permission to stay" and "extension of stay" stamps. And that extension of stay stamps are not extensions or renewals of Visa's.

I imagine immigration may have to say it several times and very slowly.

Why not put an immigration hold on foreigners who have unpaid hospital bills? Easy enough.  Just nick them at the airport while going through immigration. Put them in detention until they pay up. Oh, I forgot! Thai insurance companies can't get rich with this method of enforcement.

10 hours ago, Denim said:

I assume these statistics are from government hospitals.

With private ones unless you show the ability to pay you are not likely to pass go.

Certainly, when I was admitted for 4 days the waiting room was chocker with sickly looking falangs and half a dozen receptionists trying to phone overseas insurance companies to confirm the policies  were up to date and correct. Very undignified if you are on deaths door.

My first memory of getting royally upset with medical care was when we took my Uncle Bill to the hospital (treatment diagnosis = heart attack) and before he could be seen, he had to fill out the insurance claim and medical liability releases. That was in a country without a national healthcare scheme ... USA in 1970s. 

Why oh why can't they offer a sensible alternative to those of us who have self-funded in the past and would prefer to do so, by enforcing another bank account holding with 500,000 ThB per person - more than the stupid compulsory insurance level - that can only be used for medical treatment.  Since 400K insurance wouldn't cover much in the event of a really serious problem and we'd have to pay the rest ourselves anyway, this would make a lot of sense. 

6 hours ago, the guest said:

It's very simple ... all tourists if they apply for VOA, include a mandatory fee for insurance to be paid on arrival. For long stayers, they must provide proof of insurance before visa is approved. Solution is easy !

"For long stayers, they must provide proof of insurance before visa is approved. Solution is easy !"

Why? I think most have the means to self insure anyway. Why force people to throw good money at insurance companies when they can afford to pay for medical treatment if and when it's needed? If they add a small fee to be paid by tourists on arrival, then the problem's solved. No, this is just a scam to top up their other scams.

As I wrote in a similar thread yesterday, this was a nasty surprise. When I first read the story I took a deep breath and said "Phewwwww" because I thought I had dodged a bullet.  I have had coverage with BOOOOPA (Aetna) for ten years (never used the damn thing)  and was prepared to put the issue out of my mind. Then I read the provision where you need B40K in outpatient (OPD) coverage.  I have never had OPD. It is not a good value and something I am unlikely to need or use.  Currently I pay B72K in annual premium for inpatient cover. We just checked with BOOOPA and to "upgrade" my policy to include  B75K OPD (the smallest amount available, apparently) the new premium would be B120K, B48K additional!  Aside from being forced to buy something that I don't want, that is not a good value for money, and additional B48K stresses my finances to the max. Fortunately, I am "grandfathered in" with BOOOPA, at age 69 it will be difficult or impossible get coverage elsewhere even there is a better deal available.

4 minutes ago, pollyog said:

Why oh why can't they offer a sensible alternative to those of us who have self-funded in the past and would prefer to do so, by enforcing another bank account holding with 500,000 ThB per person - more than the stupid compulsory insurance level - that can only be used for medical treatment.  Since 400K insurance wouldn't cover much in the event of a really serious problem and we'd have to pay the rest ourselves anyway, this would make a lot of sense. 

The original announcement does mention implementing a cash deposit scheme for those who cant get (or dont want) insurance.

35 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Example...

A drunk Thai pick up driver smashes into him resulting in 2 broken legs and a skull fracture for the farang so  he gets admitted in a hospital.

Are these the cases that hospitals blaming on foreigners for not paying their hospital bills?

Certainly a valid question. Devil in the details.

3 hours ago, AYJAYDEE said:

what they put in pays for the services they receive. health care is an extra that has to be paid for.

Yes ok, I would differ on that, but what're your thoughts on the statistics in the OP? Maybe your rosie spectacles filter that out.

No requirement for money in a Thai bank account ?

Yup, with the OA the 800/65k requirements can be in your home country bank.
Plus, you can get 2 years from an OA !

That’s 2 years avoiding the Thai financial requirements !!, then go back home and get another !!
The OA was looking as a great option until the Thais noticed !! [emoji51]

46 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Example...

All vehicles have compulsory 3rd party person insurance, PorLor Bor insurance paid when you get the annual sticker. This insurance pays out no matter what even if driver has no license, drunk etc. Your home country would have a similar compulsory coverage, in Australia for example its called CTP insurance.

I get your point though, a big accident above what the insurance pays probably does account for some of the unpaid.

•  
  13 minutes ago, pollyog said:

The original announcement does mention implementing a cash deposit scheme for those who cant get (or dont want) insurance.

Archived