Another Thai D-Day: Motorists must pay their traffic fines before being able to renew tax

rooster59

Another Thai D-Day: Motorists must pay their traffic fines before being able to renew tax

fines.JPG

Image: Daily News

Daily News reported that the Royal Thai Police are now hooked up to the Department of Land Transport. 

This means that motorists who have not paid traffic fines will be unable to renew their road tax.

Fines will be able to be paid to the DLT who will pass on the money - and the stats - to the RTP. 

The system - that still has a few minor glitches to iron out - will be in operation from July 1st. 

Daily News said that a meeting was told that there are 5.3 million unpaid traffic fines since the start of this year alone. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-05-18

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

This means that motorists who have not paid traffic fines will be unable to renew their road tax. 

I am not sure how this threat is supposed to work given that large numbers of them don't bother to pay their road tax now. Many will view it as even more money saved by not paying any of it.

20 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Daily News said that a meeting was told that there are 5.3 million unpaid traffic fines since the start of this year alone.

I somehow suspect there will be a similar number of unpaid road tax before the end of the year then. Whatever else will they come up with? They will be insisting everyone get a driving licence next.

Just got 2 x 500 baht tickets in the mail from driving to BKK from CM. So many radar now it is almost better and cheaper just to fly and rent a car when visiting family there. Such a cash cow as everyone is getting them. Most places have a slow 90KM posted which doesn't do squat to save lives one bit. It is how they drive not exactly how fast if from 90km of 120km

So in the future many people will decide to not pay the tax anymore, and this probably also means they will not pay for compulsary insurance, which means a higher burden on government hospitals.

Especially motorbikes might decide to just take off their license plates.

31 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Just got 2 x 500 baht tickets in the mail from driving to BKK from CM. So many radar now it is almost better and cheaper just to fly and rent a car when visiting family there. Such a cash cow as everyone is getting them. Most places have a slow 90KM posted which doesn't do squat to save lives one bit. It is how they drive not exactly how fast if from 90km of 120km

And thus the popular western myth that speed cameras are just for making money and have nothing to do with road safety finally comes to Thailand.

Here's a clue; if one doesn't break the speed limit, one doesn't get a speeding ticket.

Of course we all know that farang drivers are much safer when breaking the speed limit than the locals are.

45 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Just got 2 x 500 baht tickets in the mail from driving to BKK from CM.

You should check if you can get 1 of them waived. Argument in line of "I got my ticket of the day already and thus have immunity for the rest of the day", as it is with helmet checks etc ????

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And thus the popular western myth that speed cameras are just for making money and have nothing to do with road safety finally comes to Thailand.

Here's a clue; if one doesn't break the speed limit, one doesn't get a speeding ticket.

Of course we all know that farang drivers are much safer when breaking the speed limit than the locals are.

Indeed... 

The only reason I brake the speed limit on a quiet expressway is because at times I believe it to be safe I know I'll get away with it.

120kmh limit is 74mph - when its quiet I find myself doing 140kmh+ which is 87mph, not a speed too dissimilar to that which I used to drive on the UK motorways (in keeping with the general flow of traffic). 

Its when the traffic conditions are busier and flowing at speeds ranging between 80-120kmh and a driver chooses to drive at 140kmh threading their way through that the danger really exists. 

Whether it is Thai's or Foreigners it is when a driver chooses do drive like this when the speed really becomes a danger to innocent others and the driver.

The fundamental flaw in safety over here is the lack of intelligent decision making and concept of consequence when someone decided to drive the way they do. 

------

Last year (between my Wife and I) we had 3 tickets (speeding and crossing a white line) we renewed or Tax in Feb without an issue or notification of having to pay the fines (they remain unpaid) - I'll see what happens next Feb.

This system operates in other Asian countries. In one particular country, when you apply for your tax you have to take your vehicle in for an 'emissions test.' If you dont pay your tickets, not only do you get refused the tax disc, your vehicle is impounded until you do.

Plus there's a point penalty whereby you start with 12 and if you go to zero, you serve a ban.

Incredibly though, it's not illegal to trade points.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Yes you got that right as we are taught better and have more road experience under many different circumstances and environments. 

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Yes you also got that right. As it is only a money maker for here as in reality they really don't care. I would bet the cops speed in their personal cars, get hit by radar and the ticket never gets to them or has to be paid. In California now, they don't seem to bother with above speed limit drivers on the highway (within reason) as they know moral majority speed as a whole. But in the cities themselves, nope, they are on you like a fly on crap.

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes you got that right as we are taught better and have more road experience under many different circumstances and environments. 

Yes you also got that right. As it is only a money maker for here as in reality they really don't care. I would bet the cops speed in their personal cars, get hit by radar and the ticket never gets to them or has to be paid. In California now, they don't seem to bother with above speed limit drivers on the highway (within reason) as they know moral majority speed as a whole. But in the cities themselves, nope, they are on you like a fly on crap.

I suspect the bigger attraction to speed cameras here is that it looks like law enforcement, but without any of the Police Officers having to get out and actually catch people... 

Its easy... no effort...  Beyond an actual lack of road education and training, the biggest issue with Thailand roads is that existing decent laws and regulations are simply not enforced by the police - pure apathy.

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect the bigger attraction to speed cameras here is that it looks like law enforcement, but without any of the Police Officers having to get out and actually catch people... 

Its easy... no effort...  Beyond an actual lack of road education and training, the biggest issue with Thailand roads is that existing decent laws and regulations are simply not enforced by the police - pure apathy.

They say you can't take the stupid out of stupid (Thai driving), but that is really what they need to focus on.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

In the majority of cases yes they are safer because they've had training and passed a real test and are more likely to not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Always exceptions though I will admit.

34 minutes ago, Odisan said:

Why don't they make it so that every police officer gets 25% of each fine as commission. That should sort it out by next weekend.

???? Currently, in most cases they get 100% of each fine so not sure that will go down very well!

2 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Unpaid fines should attract a surcharge of 10% a month until paid, and when it comes to renewing tax, the vehicle should be impounded until fine and surcharge paid.

Even a new Benz (german taxi)

with private plates etc??????

Question!! ? 

1 : how about some people who bought second car and traffic fines for old owner ???

2 : how about fines in 2016 ,, 2017 ,, 2018 ???

3 : from what time system calculates traffic fines ???

4 : what about many car with no number plate and red plate ???

Not fair !!!☹️☹️☹️

4 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I somehow suspect there will be a similar number of unpaid road tax before the end of the year then. Whatever else will they come up with? They will be insisting everyone get a driving licence next.

I think the next step is to give the Traffic Officer the power to impound  the car with no tax and no insurance at the owner expense  until it is paid .

At the moment it seem that the traffic police does not have much legal power to proceed.

This is the rule in most western countries.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I am not sure how this threat is supposed to work given that large numbers of them don't bother to pay their road tax now. Many will view it as even more money saved by not paying any of it.

No problem in detecting cars with no road tax .Overhead camera at traffic lights could  detect cars not displaying disc..

4 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

If following traffic laws is too onerous for you perhaps flying is the best option.

Archived