AETNA Health Insurance

wgdanson

I have had a policy for nine years now, first with BUPA which then changed to Aetna. I pay around Bht 55,000 per year every July.

I just got a letter telling me that they will not renew the policy this year because I am over 70 but did not start the policy before I was 60, with a quote from their T&Cs.

Obviously, it will be very difficult to find a new company to take me on now, and very expensive, and need a full medical examination.

I am on a Retirement Extension to a B Visa, so the compulsory insurance does not apply to me.

Any ideas anyone please?

Sorry to hear that wgd but I did see on thread on here that there was a company who would insure oldies for "major" health incidences and think it was an overseas outfit.......some research might find it?

Have the same as you and luckily enough got in just before aged 60, but my renewal advice came a couple of days ago and for 1 million baht cover (OP only) I will now pay 133,000 baht a year!!

Makes me wonder if self insuring is the way to go as I pay for all outpatient costs now anyway.

27 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I have had a policy for nine years now, first with BUPA which then changed to Aetna. I pay around Bht 55,000 per year every July.

I just got a letter telling me that they will not renew the policy this year because I am over 70 but did not start the policy before I was 60, with a quote from their T&Cs.

This is why I'm inclined not to bother. Insurance companies only want you when you are a minimal risk. As soon as you become more likely to claim they just want to dump you, or to increase the premiums massively.

OP, thanks for the heads up on this.

I had been company insured with BUPA Global for a number of years whilst working overseas. That stopped a couple of years back and I signed up to the local Bupa coverage, now changed to Aetna, just before I turned 65. I did think I would be OK beyond 70, so will have to check my policy T&C's. But looks like, even if insurance beyond 70 was possible, the cost appears prohibitive based on that 133k quote.

Will have a word with Aetna next week to bottom this out and, if not good news, will look for more affordable options, if any available. Have no medical exclusions and just received the 10% no claims refunds for last year. So that might help in the search.

Worth a check of the T&Cs you signed up on. I just checked my health insurance comparison and Cigna takes applications over 70yo, Morgan Price before 75yo.

Doesn't surprise me they take your money when younger when low risk and dump you when you get older or put premiums sky high

Please see this thread. There are several options (not all of them requiring a physical) but it depends on your exact age. For example, Pacific Cross and Morgan Price issue new policies only up to age 74 (coverage is for life, but you h`ave to enrol by that age). If 75 or more your options are fewer, Cigna would certainly be one.

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I am on a Retirement Extension to a B Visa, so the compulsory insurance does not apply to me.

You might try talking to one of the companies selling the 'mandatory' policies.  I don't think they'd turn anyone down just because they aren't on an O-A Visa.  Worth a try, at least.

1 hour ago, TerryLH said:

You might try talking to one of the companies selling the 'mandatory' policies.  I don't think they'd turn anyone down just because they aren't on an O-A Visa.  Worth a try, at least.

True but the coverage is lousy. Only 400K and very high premium., You can do much better for less.

On 6/1/2019 at 1:36 PM, KittenKong said:

This is why I'm inclined not to bother. Insurance companies only want you when you are a minimal risk. As soon as you become more likely to claim they just want to dump you, or to increase the premiums massively.

Not necessarily so if you shop around.

I only took out health insurance last year after two attempts with two companies over two years to cover my pre-existing condition failed and I wasn't going to feed them one baht for their policies since they wouldn't insure me with my pre-existing condition which is a decade old with no recurrence or issues.

Totally forgot I took out our house and car insurance with a broker and thought, while self insuring is ok, and I could save up to 100,000 baht a year depending on the insurer, but what if, so I spoke to the broker and the broker recommended a company that would look at pre-existing conditions over 5 years old and decide whether they would take it on for a small additional fee on top of the policy amount, which they did and it costs me an extra $60AUD.

The company "David Shield" also insures new members up to 64 years of age and will not say goodbye when you age, they keep insuring you, as for policy increases, well one would expect stiff increase with age, regardless of the insurer, as it all boils down to risk doesn't it.

I am now commencing my second year and am insured for 1.2USD emergency and elective in a zone which covers Thailand and 4 neighbouring countries with 90 days emergency overseas travel to my homeland Australia, so am up for 67,000 baht once again, sounds expensive, but at 183 baht a day or $8AUD it gives me peace of mind knowing I am covered.

If anyone would like the brokers details, PM me and I will provide you with their details, nothing in it for me, just passing on what might be of some help to those stuck at the moment.

I only took out health insurance last year after two attempts with two companies over two years to cover my pre-existing condition failed and I wasn't going to feed them one baht for their policies since they wouldn't insure me with my pre-existing condition which is a decade old with no recurrence or issues.

Totally forgot I took out our house and car insurance with a broker and thought, while self insuring is ok, and I could save up to 100,000 baht a year depending on the insurer, but what if, so I spoke to the broker and the broker recommended a company that would look at pre-existing conditions over 5 years old and decide whether they would take it on for a small additional fee on top of the policy amount, which they did and it costs me an extra $60AUD.

The company "David Shield" also insures new members up to 64 years of age and will not say goodbye when you age, they keep insuring you, as for policy increases, well one would expect stiff increase with age, regardless of the insurer, as it all boils down to risk doesn't it.

I am now commencing my second year and am insured for 1.2USD emergency and elective in a zone which covers Thailand and 4 neighbouring countries with 90 days emergency overseas travel to my homeland Australia, so am up for 67,000 baht once again, sounds expensive, but at 183 baht a day or $8AUD it gives me peace of mind knowing I am covered.

If anyone would like the brokers details, PM me and I will provide you with their details, nothing in it for me, just passing on what might be of some help to those stuck at the moment.
Did you find any reviews of David Shield? i looked and surprisingly low numbers, like a few. I looked at Bupa and there were 1000s

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Did you find any reviews of David Shield? i looked and surprisingly low numbers, like a few. I looked at Bupa and there were 1000s

When I did my research on David Shield after the brokers recommendation, I found that they were an Israeli based company who only previously insured their own citizens when overseas for work etc etc, then they branched out into the X-pat community.

The broker swears by them, i.e. not pushing them or the mainstream ones like Bupa or Cigna, but giving me a good selection also noting the broker was with them and the part about pre-existing cover after 5 years of no recurrence would be considered which was the carrot for me, because I know Bupa & Cigna won't, that and they continue cover, read on.

I have also caught out both Bupa's at the time and Cigna's representatives/brokers call them what you like, feeding me crap.

Worst case scenario with any insurer, is that they don't pay you, but if you go in with eyes wide open, that is, they are there to make a $, not throw money away with claims, then you're halfway there, and I see no reason why an insurer wouldn't pay you when making a claim if your claim is part of your policy and you have done everything right.

I read every policy thoroughly so I know what I am up against, and I think most people don't read their policies, just leaving it down to I'm insured.

I have read many forums where people complained when they went to the hospital for an emergency and the insurer wouldn't pay them, but in most cases in the forum, as they were released by the hospital within 24 hours, it wasn't classed as an emergency as an emergency constitutes at least 24 hours in hospital, and their policies were for emergency cover only as is mine.

Now if those people complaining read their policy they could explain to the hospital staff that for them to get reimbursed they would have to spend the night, and I am sure the hospital would accommodate them as they are always looking to make a buck.

That's one example of the any reviews I have read, maybe I am naive, but the way David Shield have handled everything thus far, I am confident if I was to make a claim that was within the policy, I would be reimbursed.

I hope I never have to know, I feel confident as I also went through a broker who can go to bat for me if there is an issue, but at the end of the day, I hope I never have to make a claim.  

When I did my research on David Shield after the brokers recommendation, I found that they were an Israeli based company who only previously insured their own citizens when overseas for work etc etc, then they branched out into the X-pat community.

The broker swears by them, i.e. not pushing them or the mainstream ones like Bupa or Cigna, but giving me a good selection also noting the broker was with them and the part about pre-existing cover after 5 years of no recurrence would be considered which was the carrot for me, because I know Bupa & Cigna won't, that and they continue cover, read on.

I have also caught out both Bupa's at the time and Cigna's representatives/brokers call them what you like, feeding me crap.

Worst case scenario with any insurer, is that they don't pay you, but if you go in with eyes wide open, that is, they are there to make a $, not throw money away with claims, then you're halfway there, and I see no reason why an insurer wouldn't pay you when making a claim if your claim is part of your policy and you have done everything right.

I read every policy thoroughly so I know what I am up against, and I think most people don't read their policies, just leaving it down to I'm insured.

I have read many forums where people complained when they went to the hospital for an emergency and the insurer wouldn't pay them, but in most cases in the forum, as they were released by the hospital within 24 hours, it wasn't classed as an emergency as an emergency constitutes at least 24 hours in hospital, and their policies were for emergency cover only as is mine.

Now if those people complaining read their policy they could explain to the hospital staff that for them to get reimbursed they would have to spend the night, and I am sure the hospital would accommodate them as they are always looking to make a buck.

That's one example of the any reviews I have read, maybe I am naive, but the way David Shield have handled everything thus far, I am confident if I was to make a claim that was within the policy, I would be reimbursed.

I hope I never have to know, I feel confident as I also went through a broker who can go to bat for me if there is an issue, but at the end of the day, I hope I never have to make a claim.  
but strange it's hard to find reviews online on them. You'd expect to find good and bad, mostly good but virtually nothing. i even tried to find their office in Israel on street view and didn't feel me with confidence

50 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

but strange it's hard to find reviews online on them. You'd expect to find good and bad, mostly good but virtually nothing. i even tried to find their office in Israel on street view and didn't feel me with confidence

This may shed a little light on them: http://www.davidshield-intl.com/template/default.aspx?siteId=1&PageId=30

The wording at the very bottom of the page in the link is quite convincing from my point of view.

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Do you have a link?

This may shed a little light on them: http://www.davidshield-intl.com/template/default.aspx?siteId=1&PageId=30

The wording at the very bottom of the page in the link is quite convincing from my point of view.
Yes that's about Allianz, but still customers reviews on David Shield are hard to find,strange. If you find reviews on them such as Bupa which has thousands let us know

but still customers reviews on David Shield are hard to find,strange

BUPA has been providing service to expats for decades.  David Shield only recently expanded their local service to include expats.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
9 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes that's about Allianz, but still customers reviews on David Shield are hard to find,strange. If you find reviews on them such as Bupa which has thousands let us know

I did find a review from some people covered in the USA, very negative review as it's about pre-existing conditions, which apparently in the USA in several states, health insurers have to cover pre-existing conditions, apparently, anyway read the reviews below and then move onto the other link further below after you continue reading my reply.

https://davidshield-group.pissedconsumer.com/review.html

I found the other link very interesting when you read into it, as it suggests that most providers won't cover the mandatory pre-existing cover under law, or pay part thereof which they think is reasonable.

In my case, as I mentioned, I pay an additional monthly amount for my coverage on top of the normal policy fee, i.e. I applied for pre-existing cover and was approved after providing them with copies of letters from my Cardiologist from my event to date and all is in writing from David Shield that my pre-existing cover was approved if I wanted to pay the extra amount.

I don't know about the laws in the USA regarding mandatory pre-existing coverage in some states, but I would imagine a lot of insurers would try to get out of it, especially if they were not advised up front as are the cases from what I have read in the reviews, that and it's the only country in the world that has such a law, if it is actually such a law which I find crazy as one would think insurers would want to stear clear of. Maybe some USA readers could elaborate on this.

https://www.quora.com/Do-Americans-realize-that-they-are-the-only-country-where-pre-existing-conditions-are-considered-a-bad-thing

Archived