First ( and last) visit to Pattaya T21

Pilotman

14 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Are Central Marina and central festival mall most of their stores  fully overloaded with shoppers?

So therefore they had to make another new nearby mega mall with many shops so to re-direct these shoppers towards? I doubt that’s the case.

No shoppers have ever been seen in CentralMarina or CentralFestival, just people wandering about enjoying free aircon. Those malls were and are entirely superfluous since Pattaya already had Royal Garden. TVF Poster Economics dictates that Only One Is Needed.

So while you’re right to “doubt,” you’ll need delve deeper to find the real reason the present location is optimal—a reason acceptable to the peanut gallery, the elite Tea Money Chorus, and our countless Brown Envelope Bots. It must be based on sound, well-established principles.

godeeper.jpg.1536f70534b5efb2d718fc62b876dc8f.jpg

First, know the history. The great Mall Existence Paradox had bewildered ordinary TVF posters for many years as each new mall after Royal Garden violated the Only One Is Needed rule.

But much more: each also violated the core principle of Fixed Pie. Fixed Pie holds that Thailand has no economic growth, no birthrate, and no upward mobility for anyone. The beneficent Golden Egg Layers, supplying the resources for all previous growth, left in 2003 after the INSANE rise in visa fees. Those few remaining are all moving to other countries where they're welcomed just for being themselves. The Russians left, Chinese don’t spend, Indians all share 5 to a room, and domestic tourism doesn’t exist. Therefore the supply of money and consumers has been forever fixed. So what we have left is just a shell game throughout the economy. A shiny new mall couldn’t possibly cannibalize enough from others to be profitable in Jomtien or anywhere else. Simple--but utterly bewildering.

Well, our most distinguished ace TVFP Economists eventually came up with the eminently satisfying explanation: malls exist in Thailand for the purposes of (1) selling advertising to mall shops with no shoppers, (2) selling free aircon, and most importantly for (3) money laundering.

Obviously CentralMarina and CentralFestival combined didn’t provide enough space for new money laundering--Chinese money laundering no doubt. They were maxed out. Hence the wise decision to locate T21 right where it is near the concentration of businesses, banks, and government entities involved in all the laundering. It’s within easy walking distance of City Hall in fact. Perfect, no?

We all know if they had balls it would have been built at Jomtien seaside which would be much more accessible for vehicles  too.

And this was said (by at least one other ace expert) about CentralFestival as well. The cool thing about moving the malls to Jomtien is that it would leave Pattaya looking more like it did before 1995 when everything was perfect. Expats living in the weeds around Pattaya and posting sour grapes could then finally move downtown. Beach Rd, 2nd Rd, and Soi Buakhao would have far less traffic. Sois 7 and 8 would revive. The old fave beer bars could be reconstructed on Beach Road. Life in Pattaya would be good again, attracting quality tourists.

The Avenue, however, followed your admired Balls Over Profits approach to location and construction. Turns out that shoppers lack the balls to cross 2nd Rd and visit a mall with no aircon. With that lesson in mind, the shareholders of L&H, a publicly traded company, surely demanded the wimpy ol’ Profits Over Balls to protect and grow their investments. You aren’t really an investor, are you?

Still, balls were required to erect something that big in that location given the state of Pattaya’s infrastructure. So there’s that for you. CPN, following the same approach, paid the city to upgrade the electric grid before it finished erecting CentralFestival. Maybe L&H will pay for a traffic light at 2nd & Nua. ????

Pattaya doesn’t need more traffic from mall crowds.

In fairness, the TVF Urban Planning Bureau, with its finger on all of Pattaya’s “needs,” hasn’t approved the construction of anything since the planning of Royal Garden in 1992, the greatest ever mall because of its food court action. Closely adhering to the No Change rule of TVFP Economics, the Bureau has over the years dutifully condemned Hooters, the ferry, the Tunnel, the beach refill, the Promenade, burying wires, the idea of high speed rail etc. etc.  

T21 then merely joins a very long list of egregious violators. As noted, Pattaya’s traffic needs formed no part of the decision to put T21 right there, replacing that crumbling old arcade much to the relief of creditors and the tax revenue office.

Nevertheless, it seems the mall crowds of aircon seekers disagree with your needs assessment just as L&H analysts knew they would. Obviously, most of these seekers don’t live in Pattaya. I suppose you may carry a sign and hand out educational brochures if you wish.

Edited by JSixpack
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

No shoppers have ever been seen in CentralMarina or CentralFestival, just people wandering about enjoying free aircon. Those malls were and are entirely superfluous since Pattaya already had Royal Garden. TVF Poster Economics dictates that Only One Is Needed.

So while you’re right to “doubt,” you’ll need delve deeper to find the real reason the present location is optimal—a reason acceptable to the peanut gallery, the elite Tea Money Chorus, and our countless Brown Envelope Bots. It must be based on sound, well-established principles.

First, know the history. The great Mall Existence Paradox had bewildered ordinary TVF posters for many years as each new mall after Royal Garden violated the Only One Is Needed rule.

But much more: each also violated the core principle of Fixed Pie. Fixed Pie holds that Thailand has no economic growth, no birthrate, and no upward mobility for anyone. The beneficent Golden Egg Layers, supplying the resources for all previous growth, left in 2003 after the INSANE rise in visa fees. Those few remaining are all moving to other countries where they're welcomed just for being themselves. The Russians left, Chinese don’t spend, Indians all share 5 to a room, and domestic tourism doesn’t exist. Therefore the supply of money and consumers has been forever fixed. So what we have left is just a shell game throughout the economy. A shiny new mall couldn’t possibly cannibalize enough from others to be profitable in Jomtien or anywhere else. Simple--but utterly bewildering.

Well, our most distinguished ace TVFP Economists eventually came up with the eminently satisfying explanation: malls exist in Thailand for the purposes of (1) selling advertising to mall shops with no shoppers, (2) selling free aircon, and most importantly for (3) money laundering.

Obviously CentralMarina and CentralFestival combined didn’t provide enough space for new money laundering--Chinese money laundering no doubt. They were maxed out. Hence the wise decision to locate T21 right where it is near the concentration of businesses, banks, and government entities involved in all the laundering. It’s within easy walking distance of City Hall in fact. Perfect, no?

And this was said (by at least one other ace expert) about CentralFestival as well. The cool thing about moving the malls to Jomtien is that it would leave Pattaya looking more like it did before 1995 when everything was perfect. Expats living in the weeds around Pattaya and posting sour grapes could then finally move downtown. Beach Rd, 2nd Rd, and Soi Buakhao would have far less traffic. Sois 7 and 8 would revive. The old fave beer bars could be reconstructed on Beach Road. Life in Pattaya would be good again, attracting quality tourists.

The Avenue, however, followed your admired Balls Over Profits approach to location and construction. Turns out that shoppers lack the balls to cross 2nd Rd and visit a mall with no aircon. With that lesson in mind, the shareholders of L&H, a publicly traded company, surely demanded the wimpy ol’ Profits Over Balls to protect and grow their investments. You aren’t really an investor, are you?

Still, balls were required to erect something that big in that location given the state of Pattaya’s infrastructure. So there’s that for you. CPN, following the same approach, paid the city to upgrade the electric grid before it finished erecting CentralFestival. Maybe L&H will pay for a traffic light at 2nd & Nua. ????

In fairness, the TVF Urban Planning Bureau, with its finger on all of Pattaya’s “needs,” hasn’t approved the construction of anything since the planning of Royal Garden in 1992, the greatest ever mall because of its food court action. Closely adhering to the No Change rule of TVFP Economics, the Bureau has over the years dutifully condemned Hooters, the ferry, the Tunnel, the beach refill, the Promenade, burying wires, the idea of high speed rail etc. etc.  

T21 then merely joins a very long list of egregious violators. As noted, Pattaya’s traffic needs formed no part of the decision to put T21 right there, replacing that crumbling old arcade much to the relief of creditors and the tax revenue office.

Nevertheless, it seems the mall crowds of aircon seekers disagree with your needs assessment just as L&H analysts knew they would. Obviously, most of these seekers don’t live in Pattaya. I suppose you may carry a sign and hand out educational brochures if you wish.

And do not forget following in the footstep's of " Save the Whales" the proper protection of an animal species was pardoned. They decided to Save the Dolphins at the roundabout.

Or, 3/4 about or whatever it can be described as.

Thank goodness..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JSixpack said:

Why They build a megamall in order to attract people only going to the food court?

Just build the food court instead.

• Like 1

Shoes are Mrs P's weakness, but she will not buy anything over 500 Bhat and then wonders why they fall to bits in two weeks.  Still, she is cheapish to run. 
If the shoes last 2 weeks, that's 25 pairs a year.

500x25 = 12,500 a year in shoes.

Better off buying a really good pair for 6k that lasts two years.
  • Like 1

didn't try to cover it all, too bored with the whole thing. 
I think the fact that before you went you were already having the conclusion and negative sentiment meant anything short of OMG!!!! Would have yielded a negative experience.

It's not the mall that's bad, you just don't care for malls [emoji14]
  • Like 2

On 6/4/2019 at 2:26 PM, Destiny1990 said:

Why They build a megamall in order to attract people only going to the food court?

Just build the food court instead.

You’re confusing the eaters with the aircon seekers. TVFPE (TVF Poster Economics) really isn’t clear on why a mall should go to such lengths to attract the latter. My proposal is always rejected that we consider it just one o' them "mysteries of the Orient" and move on.

But, to extrapolate, first recall that the malls are selling advertising to the shops, notably in the form of brand name recognition. So the brand names get a lot of views from aircon seekers even though the branded shops may not even exist outside of malls—which, after all, have no shoppers, only aircon seekers who are only Looking Not Buying. (TVFPE doesn’t recognize the concept of Looking Before Buying. For a shop to be deemed successful, customers must be seen lined up at the cashier at any random interval. If not, then it never has any customers at any time and is “struggling.”)

Now, me, I’d say this really makes no sense, but I’m telling you the theory. I’d cite posts from the past for you to argue with, but my doing so upsets the authors for some reason and I’d be reported for being “inflammatory” and chastised for violating a non-existent rule about “old posts.”

Second, consider the main reason for a mall’s existence in Thailand according to TVFPE—money laundering. Food courts, now, are not money launderers, because our posters always see customers buying food and eating food in them. Very simply, then, the laundering requires a variety of shops and people walking around looking like shoppers, even though our ace economists know that they aren’t really shoppers, based on authoritative shopping bag count econometrics.

So, as our members never tire of pointing out happening so often in all areas of Thai life, the appearance disguises the corrupt reality. A most satisfying explanation, no?

• Haha 2

I go to T21 several times a week, i like the food court now, I didn't originally, it's trial and error finding the food you like, it can even vary in the same booth but different chef. It's best avoided when very busy such as weekends and yet another holiday.

The shops are a mystery, aimed at tourists and are mostly empty, the only thing that's doing really well is the food court

• Like 2

I've eaten in the food court a few times...good portions, good taste and cheap..the only problem its always very crowded.....my wife insists on going on weekends and long holidays !!
[emoji30]

4 hours ago, JSixpack said:

You’re confusing the eaters with the aircon seekers. TVFPE (TVF Poster Economics) really isn’t clear on why a mall should go to such lengths to attract the latter. My proposal is always rejected that we consider it just one o' them "mysteries of the Orient" and move on.

But, to extrapolate, first recall that the malls are selling advertising to the shops, notably in the form of brand name recognition. So the brand names get a lot of views from aircon seekers even though the branded shops may not even exist outside of malls—which, after all, have no shoppers, only aircon seekers who are only Looking Not Buying. (TVFPE doesn’t recognize the concept of Looking Before Buying. For a shop to be deemed successful, customers must be seen lined up at the cashier at any random interval. If not, then it never has any customers at any time and is “struggling.”)

Now, me, I’d say this really makes no sense, but I’m telling you the theory. I’d cite posts from the past for you to argue with, but my doing so upsets the authors for some reason and I’d be reported for being “inflammatory” and chastised for violating a non-existent rule about “old posts.”

Second, consider the main reason for a mall’s existence in Thailand according to TVFPE—money laundering. Food courts, now, are not money launderers, because our posters always see customers buying food and eating food in them. Very simply, then, the laundering requires a variety of shops and people walking around looking like shoppers, even though our ace economists know that they aren’t really shoppers, based on authoritative shopping bag count econometrics.

So, as our members never tire of pointing out happening so often in all areas of Thai life, the appearance disguises the corrupt reality. A most satisfying explanation, no?

I slightly disagree with you..Listen to my theory :

In order to get a lot of customers to their food-court they decided to build a mostly useless mall around it which most of us do not really need especially not on that location but heck it brings in customers to their food court...

Finally I figured it out.????

Edited by Destiny1990

On 6/4/2019 at 5:16 AM, lamyai3 said:

This cost 40 baht. Portions and selection no different to T21 Bkk.

That looks like the rice and three toppings place that I often go to in T21, and very nice it is too. There are several other stalls in the food court that are very good also. Overall I find it to be much better than the other food courts in town and a fair bit cheaper. And you get a nice view for free.

Cant say I care much about the other shops and restaurants in the building though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You ever think the people who built the mall know a little more then you?

You are constantly pointing at and seem rather jealous about the location which many believe is fantastic.

Very easy access from anywhere in Pattaya on the baht bus, I can walk there in 15 minutes I love it.

So, it is a bad location for you, Mr. Destiny only I assume because you live far away. Probably Jomtien?  If it was a few blocks from you, you would think it was the greatest location ever.

And, if you walk through any mall in the world people are not lined up outside the doors to every shop.

I see many people in the shops there and eating at other places then the food court.

But, you obviously hate the place so your mind will how what ever it wants.

Why would i hate a mall?

It is just wrongly located.

Imho its Jomtien that needs a seaside mall and not Pattaya that has already  an oversupply of malls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Why would i hate a mall?

It is just wrongly located.

Imho its Jomtien that needs a seaside mall and not Pattaya that has already  an oversupply of malls.

Yes please somewhere along Jomtiem Second Road past the turn. A Big C as we already have the Tesco at the end of Thepprasit. 

On 6/4/2019 at 6:03 AM, JSixpack said:

An interesting theory - I've always thought the elite families are so super rich that malls are just like baubles they want to show power to a rival family as much as they want to make a profit. 

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Yes please somewhere along Jomtiem Second Road past the turn. A Big C as we already have the Tesco at the end of Thepprasit. 

Ehh at the end of Theprasit there is also a big C last time i checked therefore better some shop center between beach rd and second rd.

Edited by Destiny1990

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Ehh at the end of Theprasit there is also a big C last time i checked therefore better some shop center between beach rd and second rd.

I'll take an Aldi or a Lidl but they would never be allowed in Thailand as they would wipe up with their uber low prices. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:
7 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Not enough customers in Jomtien and people won't travel from Bangkok and other further away places to Jomtien which they do to T21 and Central Festival

Good news: Let these masses from Bangkok infest Pattaya and leave Jomtien alone. In any event would rather travel to Pattaya to shop than take the chance that they could travel to Jomtien and rain down the congestion they have in Pattaya.

Edited by morrobay

8 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

There is that massive piece of empty land opposite the Grand Caribbean on 2nd Road. I am surprised no one has built a big Mall or Condo there. Would be a good location near the bus station to Bangkok. On the beach as well, better than T21.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 10:48 PM, johng said:

There is no way to see the whole place in 30 minutes..its huge !!

I agree it could have been built in a better location...but too late now.

Like Jomptien. I don't understand the desire to build many malls in Pattaya, and none in Jomptien.

The inevitable result is that the numbers that were sufficient when Central was the only big mall are insufficient for half a dozen big malls.

It's like the bar beers. Back in the 90s there were few enough bars for all to make a profit, then they went mad and built bars all over the place. Result, hardly any customers unless a special bar beer, and loads closed. Remember the big complex behind the Made in Thailand market? It never succeeded, and gone now.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
10 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Not enough customers in Jomtien and people won't travel from Bangkok and other further away places to Jomtien which they do to T21 and Central Festival

That is probably the most accurate statement.  Pattaya is a destination.

Edited by bkk6060