Minnesota ex-officer gets 12-1/2 years in prison for Australian woman's shooting death

rooster59

27 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I am a US tax payer.

Suspect the Minneapolis municipal budget/insurance carrier takes the hit. Don't think there's a city income tax, so revenue comes from the local, and State, base (property, sales, lottery, booze, etc.)

Further suspect MN is a net negative state (Fed taxes), they give more to Washington than they take?

The financial liability is really the only constraint, as Lucious verus correctly points out. Without that, Shade-Tree Justice would be the norm, faulty body-cams be damned.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Suspect the Minneapolis municipal budget/insurance carrier takes the hit. Don't think there's a city income tax, so revenue comes from the local, and State, base (property, sales, lottery, booze, etc.)

Further suspect MN is a net negative state (Fed taxes), they give more to Washington than they take?

The financial liability is really the only constraint, as Lucious verus correctly points out.

It was a response to.a deflection that is now way out of context.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

You wouldnt want to be a US taxpayer would you.? Week after week there are massive multi million dollar law suits always settled out of court.The police budget is taxpayers money. Is that the source of the compo?

All cops should be personally insured .If one of them murders a citizen then the insurance company pays out.

High premiums should slow down the trigger happy boneheads and Rambo's in US police departments.

I held a professional license and I carried both license and liability insurance as a matter of course. It's what everyone should do if they are involved in a profession that could lead to catastrophic outcomes.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tug said:

They need to get better at rejecting incompetent trainees and getting rid of bad cops he screwed up so now he pays the price that being said the same should go for a white cop that does the same thing to a black woman

it was part of a "diversity" program to hire him

• Like 1

IMHO race had very little do do with the guilty finding, and I would have found this man guilty for numerous reasons. He fired from the passenger's seat through the driver's window while in a dimly lit alleyway, with very restricted vision of who or what he was shooting at. He claims he was startled by a noise, possible the woman slapping the car to announce her presence.

In doing so, he broke all 3 rules of firearm use:

He failed to identify an imminent threat

He failed to identify what he was shooting at

He failed to consider collateral damage

the 3rd point is clear in that he fired across his partner, with the muzzle of his weapon in close proximity to the partner's face, which alone could have caused serious injury, or death if his partner had moved.

• Thanks 2

I hope that sends a chill through the US police forces.  The "shoot first and ask questions later" mentality that has developed in the last two generation of cops need to be addressed.  

We didn't have that type of cop when I was a young man.  Most had restraint.  Most served their communities.  

Now it's "Us" against "Them" and shoot if anything worries you, the hell with restraint.  That needs to change.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, connda said:

I hope that sends a chill through the US police forces.  The "shoot first and ask questions later" mentality that has developed in the last two generation of cops need to be addressed.  

We didn't have that type of cop when I was a young man.  Most had restraint.  Most served their communities.  

Now it's "Us" against "Them" and shoot if anything worries you, the hell with restraint.  That needs to change.

Really you believe that there were less unjustified police shootings back then? Or just that less attention was paid to it, particularly when Black Americans were involved?

• Like 1

will he see 12 1/2 years once other prisoners identify him,  will the family be financially secure for the rest of their lives with the $20 million payout, and will they be influenced by the wealthy environment that is about to become of them therefore forgetting the past.  ??

9 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Really you believe that there were less unjustified police shootings back then? Or just that less attention was paid to it, particularly when Black Americans were involved?

Yes I do.  I knew cops when I was a kid, when I was a young man, and then in middle age.  As in friends with some, close friends with others, acquaintances with most.  I saw a sea-change shift in attitude over the years.
I'll go back to that word - restraint.  Now, caveat: I'm not talking about big city cops.  I'm talking about the cops you find in fly-over American where I spent a lot of my life, although I did spend time in big cities and did meet some stand-up cops.  And I have often found Sheriffs to still be more restrained than their brethren in other forces.

Now interesting - in Thailand, I've seen cops exhibit the restraint that I've seen in older cops from yesteryear.  I've seen Thai cops again and again disarm armed men, even in hostage situation.  One memory being a cop who talked a man out of his weapon, put and arm around him, sat down with him, and talked.  You simply do not see that in the West anymore.  All you see is the word "WEAPON" and a volley of shots.  Than after the fact, we hear, "We though the man/woman had a weapon and feared from our lives."  Turns out to be a cell phone or wallet.  
And don't get me wrong.  I've also see men/woman not obey a cops orders and then do something stupid like go for their gun.  There are 'good' shootings.  But I also think there are a lot of bad shooting that happen for no other reason than the Justice department had given cops a license to kill.  Most know they can shoot and never, ever be charged by a Grand Jury.  That - my friend - needs to change.  You don't have to agree with me.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ozman52 said:

He failed to identify an imminent threat

He failed to identify what he was shooting at

He failed to consider collateral damage

Excellent observation.  I agree.  We're back to basic firearms training.  

5 minutes ago, connda said:

Yes I do.  I knew cops when I was a kid, when I was a young man, and then in middle age.  As in friends with some, close friends with others, acquaintances with most.  I saw a sea-change shift in attitude over the years.
I'll go back to that word - restraint.  Now, caveat: I'm not talking about big city cops.  I'm talking about the cops you find in fly-over American where I spent a lot of my life, although I did spend time in big cities and did meet some stand-up cops.  And I have often found Sheriffs to still be more restrained than their brethren in other forces.

Now interesting - in Thailand, I've seen cops exhibit the restraint that I've seen in older cops from yesteryear.  I've seen Thai cops again and again disarm armed men, even in hostage situation.  One memory being a cop who talked a man out of his weapon, put and arm around him, sat down with him, and talked.  You simply do not see that in the West anymore.  All you see is the word "WEAPON" and a volley of shots.  Than after the fact, we hear, "We though the man/woman had a weapon and feared from our lives."  Turns out to be a cell phone or wallet.  
And don't get me wrong.  I've also see men/woman not obey a cops orders and then do something stupid like go for their gun.  There are 'good' shootings.  But I also think there are a lot of bad shooting that happen for no other reason than the Justice department had given cops a license to kill.  Most know they can shoot and never, ever be charged by a Grand Jury.  That - my friend - needs to change.  You don't have to agree with me.

Thailand is a horrible example - as the police are beyond incompetent.

In USA it goes a lot further with the militarization of many police forces.

Privatization of prison systems run for profit.

militarized_police.jpg

• Confused 1

Outstanding. That was a cold blooded murder. She never represented a threat to this blood thirsty monster. 

He will do quite well in prison. He will make alot of new friends and no doubt, he will leave prison a changed man. 

52 minutes ago, JimmyTheMook said:

Thailand is a horrible example - as the police are beyond incompetent.

In USA it goes a lot further with the militarization of many police forces.

Privatization of prison systems run for profit.

militarized_police.jpg

The Thai police may be largely incompetent, but they do not appear to be as blood thirsty and vicious as alot of American cops. Also, they are not as nasty. In the US, alot of cops genuinely despise the communities they work in. LAPD is a great example. 

Personally, I have little use for law authority in general. 

• Confused 1

It is suspicious that a black/coloured police officer shooting a white person gets convicted when if it were the other way round they would have been acquitted.

As a Brit I am proud of our police force, very few police are armed, to carry firearms first a police officer has to volunteer, then is subject assessments of the mental suitability and ability to handle firearms with ongoing training and assessment.

I just wonder if the same selection process were applied to the American police how many would be armed?

Does that mean they are more at risk? I doubt it, we have lost about 30 police officers in the line of duty since the year 2000, actually only 3 in the last 5 years, compare that in percentage terms with the US...

Of the 30, 6 were shoot and 4 stabbed of the rest most were run over or had there patrol car rammed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

Yet in the US 144 police officers died in the line of duty in 2018,52 0f them were firearms related and in the UK I can find no reference to a Police officer killed in the line of duty last year.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/12/27/police-deaths-144-killed-line-duty-2018/2423797002/

The US has roughly 800,000 Police officers compared to the UK's 250,000. and the population of the us is roughly 5 times grater than the UK.

Edited by Basil B

6 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

There were community protests I am from there and we can agree to disagree. It isn't like he got an OJ deal or Smolleted out of it but it is relatively light.

Assuming he had no previous convictions (he was a police officer so I'm supposing he didn't) the mandatory sentencing guidelines for Minnesota say that he should have got between 10 1/2 and 15 years. So I would say it's neither relatively light nor relatively severe - it's right in the middle.

Minnesota sentencing guidelines

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2tall said:

Deport him, Ohmar and all the rest of em! They don't belong.

MPLS used to be a great location, now its inundated with race baiting somalian's!

Inundated. Really

• The Somali population accounts for nearly 1 percent of Minnesota's population. 

There are between about 42,400 and 55,200 people of Somali heritage living in Minnesota. They live in between about 13,000 and 16,500 households.

The twin cities have over half of Minnesota's population. So the Somali population is somewhere short of 2 percent of the twin cities.

9 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

There were community protests I am from there and we can agree to disagree. It isn't like he got an OJ deal or Smolleted out of it but it is relatively light.

Media reported sentencing met with norms for the charges.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 6:31 AM, mtls2005 said:

White policemen (and policewomen) of course do not have to play their card; or if they do they have 52 at birth.

This sort of "opinion" reinforces the tragedy of not dealing with historical inequities.

Race, religion, sexual orientation or gender should not be a factor.

The fact he and his family and supporters choose otherwise suggests they know that he actually has no real defense.

On 6/8/2019 at 2:24 PM, Basil B said:

It is suspicious that a black/coloured police officer shooting a white person gets convicted when if it were the other way round they would have been acquitted.

As a Brit I am proud of our police force, very few police are armed, to carry firearms first a police officer has to volunteer, then is subject assessments of the mental suitability and ability to handle firearms with ongoing training and assessment.

I just wonder if the same selection process were applied to the American police how many would be armed?

Does that mean they are more at risk? I doubt it, we have lost about 30 police officers in the line of duty since the year 2000, actually only 3 in the last 5 years, compare that in percentage terms with the US...

Of the 30, 6 were shoot and 4 stabbed of the rest most were run over or had there patrol car rammed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

Yet in the US 144 police officers died in the line of duty in 2018,52 0f them were firearms related and in the UK I can find no reference to a Police officer killed in the line of duty last year.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/12/27/police-deaths-144-killed-line-duty-2018/2423797002/

The US has roughly 800,000 Police officers compared to the UK's 250,000. and the population of the us is roughly 5 times grater than the UK.

You cannot compare Britain and the USA so simplistically. Completely different cultures, laws, approaches to enforcement and justice systems.

My eldest has a Bachelor and Master degrees in Criminology, Forensic Science and International Justice Systems from a UK university. She went on a "swap" with students of a US university in North Texas. This included several days at a Sheriffs department, training with them, going out on patrol, understanding their procedures etc. She was very impressed and said it was nothing like the Hollywood and TV garbage we're fed. 

She might have a different perspective if she'd gone to areas of Chicago, Philidephia etc etc.

Just as police in say, Canterbury would have a different perspective to Liverpool, Glasgow or the Met.