Any long-term Aussies willing to help newbie?

Some years ago I worked and lived and Malaysia for 2.5 years.

I know Malaysia isn't Thailand, but it has given me some first-hand experience of living as a local.

Now, I'm at that point where I want to put my Australian life into a cardboard box, store it away somewhere, and head to Thailand, for the indefinite future.

Are there any Aussies who can give this newbie some simple step-by-step guidelines?

eg.,

1/ what kind of visa?

2/ how long does it last?

3/ what's required for visa renewal?

4/ how to find an apartment?

5/ where do you live, and why?

When I moved to Malaysia I'd already been there a number of times, as I was marrieded to a Malaysian Chinese, so I managed to hit the ground running, albeit stumbling at times.

Thailand, I'm heading there for the first time, now by myself.

I'll be making a preliminary trip in a few months, but would like to start laying out my roadmap before I arrive.

Any help, tips, advice, greatfully appreciated.

Not aussie, but no difference in visa stuff between you and us europeans, americans etc.

If you are over 50 years old, you can get a non o-a visa: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

If not and if it has to be long time there's only the Thai Elite visa (1mio thb/20 years or 500k thb/5 years).

Everything else includes work permit, marriage etc.

You can get along with an METV visa for a while to check out thailand first, i would recommend you that.

Apartments are everywhere - no matter what city or island you decide on, just walk in a condo building and ask them for free rooms.

1/ what kind of visa?

2/ how long does it last?

1. Id reccomend METV (Multiple Entry) you can only get it from a Thai consulate in AUS though.

2. You can get nearly 9 months continual stay. Have to do border run every 3 months. All the steps are not hard but will take some research to get it down.

3. Each entry is 2 months. You need to go to an immigration office in Thailand before the 2 months is up, and get 1 month extension (1900baht).

fill out paperwork and attach a picture, add various photocopies from passport.

Before the expiry date is up you must do a border and come back in to start another entry.

As i said..needs extensive research or you could get caught out!

4. If in the suburbs you virtually need to take a Thai speaker with you. many listings online. minimum 3 month lease but many will want 12 months. pay 1 month up front and 2 months rent as deposit.

5. Suburban Bangkok. Cheaper for ok appartment, laid back lifestyle, away from the tourist traps.

To ADD:

1. how old are you?

2. will you be working here?

If your income is from rental property in Australia you might be paying extra "absentee land taxes" depending on which state your property is in.

Also big CG tax issues if away for a continual term of over 5 years.

Id sell my property if your seriously intending a long stay, as they will tax the hell out of you for your earnings and have another go at capital gains when you eventually go to sell out.

Likewise they will kick you off Medicare after 5 years away.

As painful as it may be, its best to keep SOME ties with Aus, have an address and return every year.

Edited by pookondee
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pookondee said:

1/ what kind of visa?

2/ how long does it last?

1. Id reccomend METV (Multiple Entry) you can only get it from a Thai consulate in AUS though.

2. You can get nearly 9 months continual stay. Have to do border run every 3 months. All the steps are not hard but will take some research to get it down.

3. Each entry is 2 months. You need to go to an immigration office in Thailand before the 2 months is up, and get 1 month extension (1900baht).

fill out paperwork and attach a picture, add various photocopies from passport.

Before the expiry date is up you must do a border and come back in to start another entry.

As i said..needs extensive research or you could get caught out!

4. If in the suburbs you virtually need to take a Thai speaker with you. many listings online. minimum 3 month lease but many will want 12 months. pay 1 month up front and 2 months rent as deposit.

5. Suburban Bangkok. Cheaper for ok appartment, laid back lifestyle, away from the tourist traps.

To ADD:

1. how old are you?

2. will you be working here?

If your income is from rental property in Australia you will be paying extra "absentee land taxes".

Also big CG tax issues if away for a continual term of over 5 years.

Id sell my property if your seriously intending a long stay.

They will tax the hell out of you for your earnings and have another go at capital gains when you eventually go to sell out.

Likewise they will kick you off Medicare after 5 years away.

As painful as it may be, its best to keep SOME ties with Aus, have an address and return every year.

Good post. Medicare can be set up again pretty quick with proof of a rental lease , bank account , licence etc

1 minute ago, madmen said:

Good post. Medicare can be set up again pretty quick with proof of a rental lease , bank account , licence etc

Thanks.

Yes to Medicare, but thats not much good if you only go back to stay short term with family.

If you cant show a lease or utility bills in your name, then your stuffed!

2 minutes ago, pookondee said:

Thanks.

Yes to Medicare, but thats not much good if you only go back to stay short term with family.

If you cant show a lease or utility bills in your name, then your stuffed!

When I went back for a few months the lady at center link said I needed a full time address and I said I don't have one. Then she said how about a family member so I gave her my sons address and she gave me  a paper replacement card on the spot. Like immigration here it depends on the day and the mood of the officer.

1 hour ago, madmen said:

When I went back for a few months the lady at center link said I needed a full time address and I said I don't have one. Then she said how about a family member so I gave her my sons address and she gave me  a paper replacement card on the spot. Like immigration here it depends on the day and the mood of the officer.

You got a good one!

Im waiting quietly in a booth and see this big mammoth beast waddle over.

So at that the stage i pretty much knew it was not going to work out good.

Told her im staying with family.

"Nup"

Then she hands me a stat dec (she already had it in her hands i guess after looking at my file)

So, since of last year, and according to this one, 

you have to have the proof..

no exceptions...

AND sign a stat dec saying i intend to remain in Australia for the long term.

Then on the way out she reminded me if my future actions go against the stat dec i can be prosecuted and jailed!

yep thats the lucky country Australia!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

You say you are coming to Thailand for the first time but have already concluded that you will be relocating here long term.  May I ask how you formed your impressions of Thailand and how you came to the conclusion that this is where you wish to live?  My advice would be to plan for a six month initial visit (where would depend on what you are looking for, i.e. beach vs. city, urban vs. rural) and see how you feel when that's over.  Many find that Thailand up close is not what they expected after looking from a distance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to those who have taken the time to reply.

With a border-run, can it be anywhere outside of Thailand?

ie., can I skip over to Malaysia, or Vietnam etc., or does it have to be back to Australia, for purposes of CentreLink?

(once, in Malaysia, I flew to Singapore and came back over the causeway ... crowded as hell, so I’m sure I’ll pass unnoticed: one-week visa with instructions to report to Immigration).

Multiple-entry would seem to be the way to go, to learn the ropes.

Now another question please:

In Malaysia I was happy to live and eat where locals did; in fact it made the whole experience just that, an experience.

I know this is Avery generic question, depending on where, and standard, etc., but for those of you staying in different places as “Cheapskate Charlie’s”, what would be your typical monthly expense, in Baht, including modest accomodation, food, just getting around etc., with still some spending money left over?

Do CentreLink need to know you’re overseas for an extended period?

Thanks again

Maybe I missed this suggestion above... Personally, I would obtain a non O-A (if currently in au)

It is multi entry and you will enable you to remain in los for almost 2 yrs. Need to obtain reentry permit for second yr (easy done at airport).

Suggest you live in bkk since you haven't spent time in los. That way you have access to airports and its central to most places. 

Travel to Vietnam etc is very easy if living bkk. 

As for cost depends on your situation with women and booze. 

Unlike a lot of fellas on TVF I came to los first time late. Never having traveled much. You can easily fall in love with Thailand and maybe someone in Thailand. Then its very hard to consider other countries. My advice would to be little bit more flexible with thinking. Yes use Los as a base but certainly give other places a chance. Vietnam being one, but I'm bias about that. 

Good luck.

25 minutes ago, JackNymble said:

From

Visa Exemption

it appears that as an Australian I can Enter Thailand without a prior issued visa, valid for 30 days.

If a border run is done, Malaysia/Australia/Cambodia/Vietnam, is there a minimum time away to avoid any complications getting back in?

That will work up to a certain period of time. Many threads regarding this. Best advice is do it the right way. Get a visa that suits. A setv for your first visit could be an option. You could easily stay in los perhaps using visa exempt, setv, extensions etc. 

As I stated previous I would get an O-A or non imm O based in retirement.

Edited by DrJack54