Report of Annual Retirement Extension in Chiang Rai - No Surprises

Good report.

The 800K seems to be the way all the offices want it, easy for the io's and probably the only way dodgy agents can get the extensions of stay.

Hardly seeing any reports of 65K + monthly "income" without letters from embassy and particularly with "leniency"  or combination of monthly income plus lump sum.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I have always found Chiang Rai Immigration easy to deal with.

I get conflicting feedback about Chiangrai. Previously nice to deal with but more recently less so. They also have their own 'requirements'. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I get conflicting feedback about Chiangrai. Previously nice to deal with but more recently less so. They also have their own 'requirements'. 

I think it depends on the mood of the I/O's. I have been going there just over a year now. I did my first retirement extension with my Embassy letter in April. The office was busy with hordes of Chinese and Koreans. I got the extension, but the I/O made me jump through hoops i.e. making me fill out another TM7 local form which was no different than the one I had already filled, except for the font sizes. My last visit a week ago for my 90 day, the office was empty and that same I/O was very pleasant with me and we had a nice chat while another I/O was doing the report.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jacko45k said:
34 minutes ago, villagefarang said:

I have always found Chiang Rai Immigration easy to deal with.

Yes, there are those who have problems and hold up the line for everyone else but often they are problems of their own making.  Sitting there watching what the immigration staff have to deal with on occasion, I am impressed with how well they treat the rest of us.  I certainly couldn't sit there and deal with that kind of blame and abuse day in and day out.

Overall I am quite happy with Chiang Rai Immigration and the crowds have thinned out considerably.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thailand said:

Good report.

The 800K seems to be the way all the offices want it, easy for the io's and probably the only way dodgy agents can get the extensions of stay.

Hardly seeing any reports of 65K + monthly "income" without letters from embassy and particularly with "leniency"  or combination of monthly income plus lump sum.

I'm planning on using the monthly income method as well. Are you saying that a letter from one's embassy is required to accompany the bank printouts showing the monthly deposits ?

10 minutes ago, bobonzo said:

I'm planning on using the monthly income method as well. Are you saying that a letter from one's embassy is required to accompany the bank printouts showing the monthly deposits ?

No he was not saying that.

He was just saying he had not seen many reports from those using proof of the income going into a Thai bank.

The said he had seen more reports about people using proof of income from their embassy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No he was not saying that.

He was just saying he had not seen many reports from those using proof of the income going into a Thai bank.

The said he had seen more reports about people using proof of income from their embassy.

thanks Joe

17 hours ago, Thailand said:

Good report.

Agreed that it is the simplest and easiest thing to do, provided one is able or wants to put 800k on deposit.  I definitely do not want to.  $25,000 USD is money I would prefer to keep invested in the USA.  I have plenty of income, but the income method at the moment anyway, is shaping up to be a real pain in the keester

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The crunch will come after July 1. That is when we will find out whether health insurance requirements apply to retirement extensions, or not. Everyone hold their breath.

It is unlikely they will spring it upon us like that. They got 2 weeks left and have yet to post it on the London Thai Embassy website wrt Non-Imm OAs. 

Edited by jacko45k

8 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Where is the Chiang Rai office ?

It is easily Googled but simply it is located on the bypass which leads to the airport.  Heading south from the airport on the bypass, it is located at the first intersection on the left.

There is also the Mae Sai office for those who live a little further north.

3 hours ago, villagefarang said:

It is easily Googled but simply it is located on the bypass which leads to the airport.  Heading south from the airport on the bypass, it is located at the first intersection on the left.

There is also the Mae Sai office for those who live a little further north.

Thanks - I've passed the Mae Sai office dozens of times so I know that one.

Never seen one on the airport bypass road, I'll keep an eye out for it next time.