Underground “monkey cheeks” proposed to ease flooding in Bangkok

webfact

Underground “monkey cheeks” proposed to ease flooding in Bangkok

Flood1.jpg

Underground “monkey cheeks”, or flood water retention basins, could help ease flood problems in Bangkok and this innovation can be implemented immediately, according to Professor Suchatvee Suwansawat, president of the Council of Engineers, on Thursday.

He said that retention of excess water underground was introduced in Tokyo which, like Bangkok, does not have room to retain excess water in case of heavy rain.

He identified Chatuchak Park and the swamp at the former Thailand Tobacco Monopoly’s compound in Makkasan as two potential sites where flood water can be stored underground and thus help ease repeated flooding at Lad Phrao, Bang Sue and on Vibhavadi Rangsit highway and Ramkhamhaeng and Sukhumvit roads.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/underground-monkey-cheeks-proposed-to-ease-flooding-in-bangkok/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-06-14

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Professor Suchatvee Suwansawat, president of the Council of Engineers, on Thursday.

said that retention of excess water underground was introduced in Tokyo which, like Bangkok, does not have room to retain excess water in case of heavy rain.

However….unlike Bangkok, the Japanese government officials don’t artificially inflate the budget and then siphon the majority of the funding off into their personal bank accounts.

Not sure I understand the THEORY of this, let alone the likely corrupt & incompetent putting-into-practice ...

So you have a 'monkey cheek', of whatever size. Even the largest will fill within, let's say, 4 hours in & after a downpour. And then what happens?

50 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Not sure I understand the THEORY of this, let alone the likely corrupt & incompetent putting-into-practice ...

So you have a 'monkey cheek', of whatever size. Even the largest will fill within, let's say, 4 hours in & after a downpour. And then what happens?

You order a few more monkeys to go down there and fill their cheeks...

53 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

Get a budget for another one... just like all the other projects that fail.

58 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

It is highly likely that the ground proposed for these " Monkey Cheeks " is already saturated, as Bangkok is only 1 mtr above Sea level.

Me thinks the Tea Cup is already full.

Another Pattaya Beach type saga in the making.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He identified Chatuchak Park and the swamp at the former Thailand Tobacco Monopoly’s compound in Makkasan as two potential sites where flood water can be stored underground and thus help ease repeated flooding at Lad Phrao, Bang Sue and on Vibhavadi Rangsit highway and Ramkhamhaeng and Sukhumvit roads.

So the use of a swamp to store flood water is an interesting proposal. What becomes of the water already there? Remember Bangkok is built on a swamp and is sinking.

3 hours ago, mfd101 said:

It floods again...but meanwhile all the State Officials involved in the project have become considerably richer...Next !

I'd be curious as to the explanation of how the Thais came to start calling flood retention basins as "monkey cheeks," as opposed to something more colorful like, ohh.... say....  "frud basin."  :tongue:

And especially, some clarity about when they're talking about their "money cheeks," do the mean the ones on the faces of the monkeys, or the other cheeks in their nether regions???

5 hours ago, mfd101 said:

It's all here (3 pages):

https://www.nippon.com/en/views/b06302/underground-temple-safeguards-greater-tokyo-from-floods.html

image.png.c95fda1fdf108eb656eb33bb9781dac7.png

23 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Well, THAT is impressive: well-designed, well-built, everything works as planned. Of course Thailand will seek detailed advice & perhaps even design from Japan ...

Here is some information about the subject matter, for anyone interested.

During floods, huge volumes of water need to be stored in rivers, canals, reservoirs,
ponds, low land or floodplain areas. However, if natural storage is not enough,
excessive flood water will flow downstream and inundate economically important
community areas, resulting in huge economic damage (eg., 2011 in Thailand. There
are many flood mitigation measures but a method to alleviate flooding problem is to
store water in the detention area known as Kaem Ling or Monkey’s Cheek in
Thailand. It is part of the Thai government’s plans for flood mitigation and water
management in the long run. A successful project is the Mahachai-Sanamchai Canal
Monkey Cheek which stores flood water in the upper area and, at the same time,
releases water into the Gulf of Thailand in relation to the tide levels of the sea by
relying on the use of gravity and pumping stations. The project comprises
improvement and construction of regulators and pumping stations in canals in the
area of an irrigation project, which yields considerable alleviation of flooding problem
as indicated by results simulated by a mathematical model simulation. This concept
will be applied to lowland and irrigation project areas in the Yom and Nan River
Basins—tributaries of the Chao Phraya River Basin, north of Nakhon Sawan
province

https://www.icid.org/wif2_full_papers/wif2_w.2.2.22.pdf

HAD any GOVERNMENT implemented good drainage in the first place, taking into account the monsoon type rains then this would never happen. Sadly as other have commented , peoples pockets are deeper and bigger than the drains REQUIRED. 

13 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

I think this is likely to fail. Has anybody tested a monkey's ability to retain flood water? 

Pufferfish is the answer.

Once you start diverging it will end with elephants bladders.

On 6/14/2019 at 3:35 PM, mfd101 said:

All of these clowns go home after a round of slaps on the back.

On 6/14/2019 at 10:09 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd be curious as to the explanation of how the Thais came to start calling flood retention basins as "monkey cheeks," as opposed to something more colorful like, ohh.... say....  "frud basin."  :tongue:

And especially, some clarity about when they're talking about their "money cheeks," do the mean the ones on the faces of the monkeys, or the other cheeks in their nether regions???

Monkey cheeks must have originated from the baboon asses from which some of these so called "experts" speak.

Archived