Thai travellers: the best to have around

webfact

Thai travellers: the best to have around

By THE NATION

21691c7c245a39265441241188f36092.jpeg

Expedia’s 2019 global plane and hotel etiquette study finds that Thai travellers top the charts for their goodwill.

The global report deep dives into travellers’ preferences, behaviours and pet peeves, spanning from sea level to the stratosphere. While we all have travel horror stories to tell and social media is a perfect vehicle to vent, this year’s findings call out travellers who spread kindness and goodwill on the road. A total of 601 Thai travellers who had taken an average of either 11.2 personal flights or 10.1 business flight per year were surveyed.

“As the social media has portrayed, an act of kindness is still very much valued. And Thai travellers  top the chart when it comes to providing various acts of kindness to fellow travellers,” said Lavinia Rajaram, APAC head of communications for Expedia.

When it comes to acts of kindness, 41 per cent of all respondents worldwide have helped someone lift their luggage into the overhead compartment and Thai travellers top the chart with 50 per cent. Americans (42 per cent) and Taiwanese (40 per cent) are the most willing to change their seat while Thais come in midway (22 per cent) and the Dutch (21 per cent) and Japanese (9 per cent) are the least likely.

The Taiwanese (11 per cent) Japanese (13 per cent), and Thais (15 per cent) are the most sensitive to their neighbours, as the least likely to bring strong-smelling foods on flights. On the other hand, Indians (31 per cent) and Americans (30 per cent) are less likely to care. 

The most generous when it comes to illness, offering a tissue or cough drop, are Austrians (57 per cent) and Thai (54 per cent). Japanese (19 per cent) and South Koreans (24 per cent) are much less likely to lend a helping hand to a coughing or sneezing neighbour. 

Travellers are steering clear of alcohol to avoid being annoying in the air, with 95 per cent reporting they wouldn’t get drunk. That’s lucky because this year, 43 per cent of global respondents identified the drunk passenger as the most annoying person on a plane. Only 5 per cent of global respondents reported ever getting drunk on a flight.

The top five most annoying behaviour for Thai passengers are namely drunk passenger (43 per cent), germ spreader (35 per cent), aromatic passenger (27 per cent), seat kicker/bumper/grabber (25 per cent) and inattentive parent (24 per cent).

While being confined to an plane seat can bring out the worst in some people, most people don't think of using social media to deal with rude fellow travellers. When it comes to unruly plane passengers, travellers are dealing with things directly. Thai passengers definitely prefer avoiding a confrontation.

The French (61 per cent), followed by the Swiss (57 per cent) and Germans (57 per cent) are the most likely to confront seat kickers directly, while Thai travellers (41 per cent) would ask the flight attendant to handle that conflict on their behalf. Thais (69 per cent) will go directly to flight attendants when experiencing rude behaviour towards another passenger, instead of confronting the rude traveller directly (16 per cent).

When it comes to armrest hogging, Thais (50 per cent) get straight to the point and would ask a passenger hogging the armrest to make room for them, coming close to the highest ranked, Austrians (60 per cent).

We may be kind on air, but how do Thai travellers react to bad hotel etiquette?

Globally, 70 per cent of all respondents say they would call the front desk for help if noise was an issue during their hotel stay. Thais come in higher than average at 74 per cent. Indians (30 per cent) are most likely to confront pool noise directly, with New Zealanders (44 per cent) and Australians (40 per cent) willing to take a laidback approach and ignore it. Thais (60 per cent) will raise the issue with the lifeguard or the hotel management instead of confronting the noise makers.

The top five most annoying guests for Thai travellers are inattentive parents (42 per cent), inroom revellers (36 per cent), bar boozers (31 per cent), loud lovers (27 per cent), and partygoers (25 per cent)

When it comes to good behaviour, souvenirs seems to be the universal sign of respect among Thai travellers — 18 per cent of Thai respondents said that they would appreciate either a small gift upon arrival. A quick inperson introduction to sights and restaurants in the area was a close second, with 26 per cent of all Thai travellers saying this was the most appreciated thing a host could do. These results highlight that while personal contact is still greatly appreciated when it comes to good hospitality, complimentary food is the way to travellers’ hearts.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/thailand/30371386

thenation_logo.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, webfact said:

The Taiwanese (11 per cent) Japanese (13 per cent), and Thais (15 per cent) are the most sensitive to their neighbours, as the least likely to bring strong-smelling foods on flights. On the other hand, Indians (31 per cent) and Americans (30 per cent) are less likely to care. 

Strong smelling food, a confined space and recirculated air... not a good combination. Body odor is much worst, in my opinion.

But funny, maybe the Thais are more courteous on planes than they are on buses and other public transport... 

This survey and report are cut from whole cloth, less than meaningless & along the lines of that survey other day about best airlines.

The methodology: how many who took survey have encountered travelers from 100+ countries and knew which came from where? I could go on and on, but like posted earlier, this is BS.

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

Thai bashing will continue now in his post but when I ask why farangs are desperate like Laos/Cambodian/Myanmar people to live in scorching heat of Thailand to inhale smog, the moderator wants to ban me for 7-day. What are they afraid of? 

Loss  of  income in  a  dwindling  pool.

This is yet another proof that some people seriously have nothing better to do then to write such articles.
I am a very-frequent domestic passengers and could tell you stories whereby the internet would cave in.

I usually met elbowing smelly, impolite, rude, arrogant and rules-bending/-breaking Thai travellers; I could not recall any "nice" gesture from them, among themselves or towards the crew.

Are you joking. Thai travelers are the worst with their cell telephones and talk loudy as hell. They don't care about anybody, naiv like a 1 year old child, shout as hell. Specially when you take a bus in Thailand. THAI TRAVELLERS ARE 100 % DISTURBING ALWAYS. I am tired of it. This is the only reason I am going to leave this country. And you can have a nice trip and sit down with Thai.

Who ever conpiled the report has obviously not done their research into the indoctrinated, dictatorial Thai culture.

Most Thai I'm sure would want to complain but are too scared to do so because of lose of face plus the lack of freedom of speech

unlike other nationals who rightly experience and utilize freedom of speech.

The report is a total waste of time.

6 hours ago, SanookTeufel said:

Interesting that Thai's avoid confrontation but have no problem confronting people about hogging the armrest!
Very informative article!

This article has given me my first good laugh of the day .. Now where is my bacon sandwich “;0) 

Have to remember that people who take planes (the respondents for this survey, even where the questions are about hotels) are unrepresentative of a nation's population. This is especially true for a country like Thailand, where only a small proportion of the population can afford to fly. That said, I have never seen any bad behaviour by Thais on planes... other nationalities, yes, but not Thais.     

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

This survey and report are cut from whole cloth, less than meaningless & along the lines of that survey other day about best airlines.

The methodology: how many who took survey have encountered travelers from 100+ countries and knew which came from where? I could go on and on, but like posted earlier, this is BS.

The information you requested is contained here: https://newsroom.expedia.com/2019-06-11-Expedias-Etiquette-Study-Shows-That-When-It-Comes-to-Good-Travel-Your-Manners-Are-the-Carry-on-That-Matter-Most

1 hour ago, Millcx said:

This article has given me my first good laugh of the day .. Now where is my bacon sandwich “;0) 

slightly off topic but true story,As we landed in Bruni one time the scottish pilot on open mike was heard to say

" I could half go a bacon sandwich now" still makes me laugh when i think about it. ???? ????

4 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Thai bashing will continue now in his post but when I ask why farangs are desperate like Laos/Cambodian/Myanmar people to live in scorching heat of Thailand to inhale smog, the moderator wants to ban me for 7-day. What are they afraid of? 

Most are feeding addictions. Some are here for work. Some are stuck after marrying bar girls and starting families with them. And others simply because life is cheap and easy here. 

It’s not really a mystery.

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Since I find most Thai people to be courteous, and pleasant to be around, I would have to agree with this survey. In addition they tend to be lighthearted, which makes them easy to be surrounded by, as they love to have fun! 

Of course they are... great drivers too, always giving way, saying 'thank you' when I let them go first. They never push in in 7/11s, never pick their nose in public or leave those darn mobiles on in the massage parlor. Lighthearted too, of course, and never cheat or lie just like their government. 

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Of course they are... great drivers too, always giving way, saying 'thank you' when I let them go first. They never push in in 7/11s, never pick their nose in public or leave those darn mobiles on in the massage parlor. Lighthearted too, of course, and never cheat or lie just like their government. 

Sorry to hear you disapprove of, and dislike your hosts. I find most Thai people to be rather delightful, especially when compared to the surly people back home in the US. I am not making a case that the Thai people are without fault. Just saying they are pleasant to be around, for the most part. If you cannot even see that, my heart goes out to you. Must be difficult living in a country, where you do not like the majority of the people!

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Sorry to hear you disapprove of, and dislike your hosts. I find most Thai people to be rather delightful, especially when compared to the surly people back home in the US. I am not making a case that the Thai people are without fault. Just saying they are pleasant to be around, for the most part. If you cannot even see that, my heart goes out to you. Must be difficult living in a country, where you do not like the majority of the people!

It's true that I don't live here because I love Thais lol. I do like some 'exceptions' but it might be fairer to say I don't like what Thais have become, but rather than just list all that (and face a problem with mods) I am confident the vast majority on here would agree. I'm hoping the young generation improve things. I stay here as it's cheap, easy to travel to other SEA locations, girls are easy and weather is much nicer. 

Archived