New laws target people in Thailand who smoke at home

webfact

41 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

That's right the NON-smokers pay threw there government/medicare taxes.

Not in Thailand and as this thread is about Thailand your post is nowhere near 'on topic'.

Nor accurate; even before smokers got hit with the massive tax hike the Australia Government was making a profit. But no need to let facts get in the way of a good rant :coffee1:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

If it's the intention of the smoking law is to save children's lives why don't the government ban children riding as a million on a motercycle. I've seen as many as 4 presumably with there parents it can't be safe. I'm a motorcyclist myself and I know the possible dangers.

Statistically being on or near a road is the most dangerous thing people can do.The Thai government has banned children riding motor bikes so it is a many have stated the enforcement of the ban that is the next step.If only Thai people realised how much richer they would be financially as well as emotionally if they accepted the strict enforcement of the road rules then I think the problem would be easier to solve.I can't begin to imagine how much money is being uselessly spent on needles health issues in this country.I agree the focus on the current state of road fatalities should take precedents over the need for the Governments need for self promotion.If the government spent half an hour each Friday evening promoting ways to increase the level of safe driving practices in this country I think it would be a much better use of the PEOPLE'S resources!

So I'm in favour of the smoking ban! 

46 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

That's right the NON-smokers pay threw there government/medicare taxes.

Not in Thailand and as this thread is about Thailand your post is nowhere near 'on topic'.

Not that far off topic.

From OP -

"The financial cost of treating people suffering from smoking related to diseases is about Bt220 billion annually, according to Mahidol University’s Faculty of Medicine.

However, tax revenue raised fromcigarettes totals just Bt68.6 billion."

2 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Statistically being on or near a road is the most dangerous thing people can do.The Thai government has banned children riding motor bikes so it is a many have stated the enforcement of the ban that is the next step.If only Thai people realised how much richer they would be financially as well as emotionally if they accepted the strict enforcement of the road rules then I think the problem would be easier to solve.I can't begin to imagine how much money is being uselessly spent on needles health issues in this country.I agree the focus on the current state of road fatalities should take precedents over the need for the Governments need for self promotion.If the government spent half an hour each Friday evening promoting ways to increase the level of safe driving practices in this country I think it would be a much better use of the PEOPLE'S resources!

So I'm in favour of the smoking ban! 

You are in favour of people being banned for smoking in their own house??

Personally I am in favour for banning alcohol in private places or putting an extra tax on people who make stupid remarks on forums.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, chang1 said:

Not that far off topic.

From OP -

"The financial cost of treating people suffering from smoking related to diseases is about Bt220 billion annually, according to Mahidol University’s Faculty of Medicine.

However, tax revenue raised fromcigarettes totals just Bt68.6 billion."

And that is only according to Madihol University's Faculty of Medicine, just a figure thrown out without any research proof and it is completely wrong.

If you lived in Thailand then you would realise why it is wrong.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

You are in favour of people being banned for smoking in their own house??

Personally I am in favour for banning alcohol in private places or putting an extra tax on people who make stupid remarks on forums.

Personally I'm in favour of banning smoking around kids,which I think is the point the Thai official is trying it would seem unsuccessfully trying to make.I don't see the sense in banning smoking within 5m of a doorway as statistically doors don't get the same health issues we humans do.When is a door not a door?When it's ajar!Personally I would be in favour of a ban on people deciding whose remarks are stupid and whose remarks are not stupid.If you didn't have stupid people like me around you would be unable to feel not so stupid,no?

7 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Laws like this are very poor indeed....apart from the nanny state aspect, laws need bright lines. What on earth does this mean:"if their habit has a negative effect on other family members due to exposure to second-hand smoke." How is this measured? Does one need a medical opinion?

I gave up smoking over 40 years ago and apart from on planes I have no problem with people smoking. Puns have been killed off by overzealous idiots demanding that people conform to their will...thou shalt not smoke.

I understand bigots trying to ban stuff they see as harmful but it is, in reality, is heavy handed policy. I look at the Prohibition and current drug policy and I just shake my head....the policies don't work. This law will not improve people's heath either because the whole second-hand smoke theory is spurious.

"apart from on planes I have no problem with people smoking."

Sorry, but how long is it since you were on a plane?:-

"Yet it was back in the 1980’s that U.S. airlines made it illegal to smoke on board and in 1988 other airlines followed suite, banning smoking on any domestic flight under six hours in duration according to CNN. Since 2000, the no smoking rule has been internationally adopted. Today it is still illegal to smoke on any flight of any duration with countless signs and warning informing this to passengers." 

Edited by sambum

11 minutes ago, fordguy61mi said:

The article uses the term second hand AND “third hand” smoking. What exactly is third hand smoking? Is it when someone that’s smoking blows smoke into another persons mouth and then he goes to another room where a non-smoker is and blows it in his face? I don’t understand the term “third hand” smoking. Can someone enlighten me please?

Dunno...

13 minutes ago, fordguy61mi said:

The article uses the term second hand AND “third hand” smoking. What exactly is third hand smoking? Is it when someone that’s smoking blows smoke into another persons mouth and then he goes to another room where a non-smoker is and blows it in his face? I don’t understand the term “third hand” smoking. Can someone enlighten me please?

Maybe its like the fluid gender thing.

Smoke that was previously pigeonholed as first hand or second hand can now legally call itself third hand.

Maybe second hand smoke felt oppressed for being called what it is and insisted on being called something that it isn't.

• Haha 1

In the mean time you are exposed to radiation. All those cellphones and transmitters gives you a good portion of radiation.

Electric magnetic waves also gives you health problems in the long run. You are in a big microwave oven.

There were tv (the old tv's) repair guys dying of cancer.

Also people living in close proximity of high power cables, getting real sick with cancers. 

But of course they are denying it. Can you imagine what that would cost in INCOME?

Though tabak is also a very good income for governments. 

And what about the insecticides in Thailand? They still use the ones forbidden in western countries, to dangerous.

Even Thai dont trust there food, but you need to eat.

ANd what about those diesels with no catalysator in exhaust, there are many of them in Thailand, blowing heavy black smoke out.

Not to forget the yearly burnings which prevents you to inhale. 

• Confused 1

As long as it's perfectly okay to drive around on at motorcycle, with a child lacking a helmet sandwiched between their parents, banning smoking at home to protect children has a funny taste to it. Thailand, the hub of ridiculously selective laws and enforcement thereof. How have I missed you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, balo said:

I welcome the new law. Anyone smoking today are living in the stone age. And I don't want to die of cancer related to smoking. 

You are preaching to to the wrong Audience.

Try standing on a soap Box at Victory Monument and see what response you get.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

What about the negative effects on families of drinking at home? Not just violence. The expense. The lost income. Broken familes. The example set. I think all these vices are caused by modern music. The government should have listening devices installed in every home. And block watchers to report any suspicious behavior. (I'm sure some reader out there is taking all this seriously.)

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Cereal said:

This is a stupid and egregious law. The government has no right to control what goes on inside a person's house as long as it is legal. And, smoking is legal.

What's next? Making smoking in your house totally illegal even if you live alone because a mai ban, neighbour or friend may drop by? 

FYI: I am nearly 60 and have never smoked. Never even tried it. I remember when teachers could smoke in the classroom! Students in university certainly did.

In some towns in USA smoking in your own home is illegal if you have common walls, such as townhouse, apartment, or live in a  condo. 

1 hour ago, transam said:

Dunno...

Smoke that stays on the ceiling or on the drapes. I guess fourth-hand would be anything left in the washing machine that lurks there until some innocent opens the lid and is swarmed by the fumes, causing death within minutes.

22 hours ago, chama said:

Because the real goal here is to give authorities the right to enter your home on trumped up charges. The well being and health of the people is just a smoke screen.

That's step one. Step two is to enrich somebody running all these reeducation centers. I didn't read anywhere about being allowed to appeal being sent there by doctors who are under threat if they misdiagnose a case. And how do you disprove such a finding?

16 hours ago, smedly said:

I agree that no one should smoke in enclosed spaces especially in the presence of children but this law is unenforceable, especially since general air quality in Thailand is as bad as it is, cigarette smoke is way down the list when it comes to air pollution in Thailand

"unenforceable"  and ability to raise revenue is the issue. I expect plenty of 'payoffs' as this law is enforced; about average for a law in Thailand.

On 6/24/2019 at 6:57 AM, smedly said:

I agree that no one should smoke in enclosed spaces especially in the presence of children but this law is unenforceable, especially since general air quality in Thailand is as bad as it is, cigarette smoke is way down the list when it comes to air pollution in Thailand

Many years ago I spent two years on a Government Task Force in Sydney to examine ways to prevent smoking in hospitality establishments.

Legislation was finally enacted before the Sydney Olympics.

I was amazed to learn what cigarettes actually contained including certain constituents that were poisonous.

The evidence presented by the experts including those from overseas was that inhaling side-stream cigarettes smoke was more harmful that car exhaust gases and other general pollution.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:05 PM, sharpjwe said:

Y

This to protect the children 

how can parents poison their own offspring 

good law for sure 

How many children get killed or die who are pillion passengers on a  motorcycle when involved in an accident. I've seen as many as 4 sometime the woman passenger having a child in her lap and you say "protecting  the children"

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 7:53 PM, chama said:

Because the real goal here is to give authorities the right to enter your home on trumped up charges. The well being and health of the people is just a smoke screen.

How are they going to check . Don't let them into you home.