Great Aussie wine.

So your wife probably can't speak because she can't tell you where she bought it and at which price and however you had the bottle you had to search the internet for a picture?

Nice troll

35 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

7/11 sells Jacobs Creek, she was probably trying to get you drunk for a bit of action!

This is not the everyday Jacobs Creek by the look of the label, it is the more expensive double barrel aged wine from the Barossa region. 

24 minutes ago, xylophone said:

This is not the everyday Jacobs Creek by the look of the label, it is the more expensive double barrel aged wine from the Barossa region. 

about 19 aud in Oz 

1 minute ago, Aino said:

So why you don't just tell us where she bought it and at what price? She can't talk.

Because you now have shown you have the bottle, doesn't still mean it was bought in Thailand at a CHEAP price, as your OP wants us believe.

She is an engineer at Samsung and at work right now.  She will be home in an hour or so.  I don't know she bought it  for a cheap price.  I said she is cheap.  After tasting it I'd pay anything up to 2000 baht for the wine.  Now about that wine being purchased in Thailand?  Check the photo below.  She talks a lot in 4 different languages. Have you learned your lesson yet?  

wine2.jpg

16 hours ago, xylophone said:

LOL, I didnt get past the name on the label, because that's the problem with Jacobs creek, their cheap wines were a disgrace and gave them a bad reputation.  If you turned up at a party with a bottle of Jacobs Creek, people would be thinking you had fallen on hard times, but it was great to add to pasta dishes!

I am guessing because we have such a large selection of boutique wines in Australia we tend to be a tad fussy on our preferences.

16 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

She is an engineer at Samsung and at work right now.  She will be home in an hour or so.  I don't know she bought it  for a cheap price.  I said she is cheap.  After tasting it I'd pay anything up to 2000 baht for the wine.  Now about that wine being purchased in Thailand?  Check the photo below.  She talks a lot in 4 different languages. Have you learned your lesson yet?  

wine2.jpg

Not going to lie that does look nice!

2 minutes ago, BigT73 said:

LOL, I didnt get past the name on the label, because that's the problem with Jacobs creek, their cheap wines were a disgrace and gave them a bad reputation.  If you turned up at a party with a bottle of Jacobs Creek, people would be thinking you had fallen on hard times, but it was great to add to pasta dishes!

I am guessing because we have such a large selection of boutique wines in Australia we tend to be a tad fussy on our preferences.

Those 3000 wine tasting awards over the last 30 years must be fake news.  

1 hour ago, BigT73 said:

I did post on yet another wine thread that I thought the current everyday Jacobs Creek wine was poor, at least compared to what it was many, many years ago.

And yes, you do have a lot of very good boutique wineries in Oz, with winemakers not scared to invest in trying new varieties and new methods of vinification and more power to their elbow for doing so.

I also posted that because Australia has made a reputation for itself as a producer of some very good wines, that exporting the wine and fruit juice mix from Australia to Thailand was potentially damaging the brand. Absolutely no need for it.

8 hours ago, xylophone said:

I did post on yet another wine thread that I thought the current everyday Jacobs Creek wine was poor, at least compared to what it was many, many years ago.

And yes, you do have a lot of very good boutique wineries in Oz, with winemakers not scared to invest in trying new varieties and new methods of vinification and more power to their elbow for doing so.

I also posted that because Australia has made a reputation for itself as a producer of some very good wines, that exporting the wine and fruit juice mix from Australia to Thailand was potentially damaging the brand. Absolutely no need for it.

Yes you are correct in your synopsis! Jacobs Creek did make great wines many years ago and won many awards.  It was the wine to drink and quickly became a market leader in the mid to upper range. This is where they changed direction to add a budget wine to corner the whole market.  However the problem with this is how they labeled these new cheap wines in a misleading way.  They were using the awards of "winemaker of the year" with pictures of medals won on the labels on these budget wines giving the illusion that this particular $7.99 was the actual wine that won.  The first run of these cheap wines alot of consumers thought that it may have been a one off bad year etc, because to date they were one of the best commercial wines, by taste and reputation.  But they didn't give up in this direction and brought additional cheap wines the following year with the same marketing ploy.  Even though some of their top range wines may have still been winning wine of the year awards consumers were still feeling though as they had been duped and it was quickly dropping in reputation as the wine to bring to any social occasions. It was like drinking vinegar with the hangover to match, I wouldnt even think of purchasing one of these 7/11 Jacobs well water wines.

I would say Aussies drinking Jacobs Creek would be on par to us drinking fosters beer.

9 hours ago, xylophone said:

What is the name of the wine and fruit juice that was exported to Thailand under the Jacobs Creek brand?

9 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

I don't know where you buy it but I can get it at Dan Murphy for about $ 9 or there about 

The cal ordinaries Jacobs Creek yes that’s about right, the Double Barrel even on DM site is between 19=29 Aud 

On 6/22/2019 at 11:13 AM, marcusarelus said:

Just by the taste I'd pay 2000 baht for it any day.  Wonderful and different.  

Hey, It´s a really good wine. Also the choice you made of the wondeful pasta dish in combination makes it even better.

However, good luck! You do not have to pay 2000 bath for the bottle. They sell them online in Thailand for 949 bath, which is a real steal for this quality over here.
https://th.wine-now.asia/jacob-s-creek-double-barrel-shiraz-750-ml.html 

On 6/22/2019 at 11:22 AM, marcusarelus said:

I've never seen it before.  Glad she bought it.  I'll get another couple of bottles next week.  

You should be glad. There is not much better things than a good bottle of wine for a good dinner.

10 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

I don't know where you buy it but I can get it at Dan Murphy for about $ 9 or there about 

No, you can´t. You have probably been lookung at the regular bottle of Jacobs Creek. This is a better and more expensive wine.
https://www.danmurphys.com.au/product/DM_793361/jacob-s-creek-double-barrel-shiraz 

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Hey, It´s a really good wine. Also the choice you made of the wondeful pasta dish in combination makes it even better.

However, good luck! You do not have to pay 2000 bath for the bottle. They sell them online in Thailand for 949 bath, which is a real steal for this quality over here.
https://th.wine-now.asia/jacob-s-creek-double-barrel-shiraz-750-ml.html 

You should be glad. There is not much better things than a good bottle of wine for a good dinner.

Really a nice wine site.  

7 hours ago, Matzzon said:

If you like wines to go with pasta, and the more full-bodied wine at that, then I have found one here which is absolutely superb (although it's not Australian I'm afraid) and it is an Italian wine from Veneto called Gran Verosso and retails for about 820 baht a bottle.

It has the same full-bodied and fruit driven flavours, not because it is aged in whiskey barrels, but because the grape bearing part of the vines are cut when the grapes are ripe and left on the trellises to dry a little in the sun (much like the appasimento) method and this gives the wine more depth and flavour along with a sort of raisiny/fruit nuance in amongst it all, which I quite like.

Not an Australian wine, but cheaper than the double barrel aged Jacob's Creek and I would suggest just as good if not better.

30 minutes ago, xylophone said:

If you like wines to go with pasta, and the more full-bodied wine at that, then I have found one here which is absolutely superb (although it's not Australian I'm afraid) and it is an Italian wine from Veneto called Gran Verosso and retails for about 820 baht a bottle.

It has the same full-bodied and fruit driven flavours, not because it is aged in whiskey barrels, but because the grape bearing part of the vines are cut when the grapes are ripe and left on the trellises to dry a little in the sun (much like the appasimento) method and this gives the wine more depth and flavour along with a sort of raisiny/fruit nuance in amongst it all, which I quite like.

Not an Australian wine, but cheaper than the double barrel aged Jacob's Creek and I would suggest just as good if not better.

Thanks! I will definately try it. Regarding pasta, I was just referring to the OP´s choice. Me, myself and I like wine for a lot of food and occasions. Actually I have a sweet tooth for good beers as well and a better class of whiskey, cognac and brandy. 

Also, I will almost take for granted that the wine you recommend will work same good with a chicken dish or filé mignon.

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Also, I will almost take for granted that the wine you recommend will work same good with a chicken dish or filé mignon.

Absolutely spot on as it is a full bodied, yet elegant and well made wine...........so good it will go with anything!!!!! 

Archived