Is it "taboo" to talk about money with your Thai girlfriend?

andux

23 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Then i built a large house with a pool,when she moved in i told her as i would be paying all the bills and food costs i would reduce her monthly allowance from 30,000 to 20,000,she went nuts,screaming and wailing,then running to the toilet to pretend she was vomiting,

While I'm hardly an icon of what to do with a Thai wife, IMO where it all went wrong for you was in agreeing to give her that much in the first place. She then thought she'd be getting that much for ever.

I expected my wife to go out to work for her own money like most Thai wives. Not that it made any difference in the end, but I believe that we broke up because of her family wanting my money, not because of anything I did to her.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:03 PM, NCC1701A said:

I have had two "official" girlfriends in Thailand and I always get the notebook computer out and show them a spread sheet of monthly expenses. 

They know the bottom line of how much disposable income there is. Of course they would never see the real income, married or not.   

Also I choose my rental house because it is old and looks like shit. When I bring bargirls home their faces really drop. Exactly the reaction I want.    

I always told myself that if I ever won lotto I'd have an old banger of a car, so when I took a woman out I'd know if she was just after my money, or if she liked me for myself.

A gold digger would never be seen in an old banger by her friends as the humiliation would have been too much.

In Thailand, when bargirls asked me what I did for a living I knew they wanted to know if I was rich, so I usually invented some high powered job to impress them for a better time. I also refused to tell them which hotel I was staying at, so it was too late when they actually saw where I was staying at.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While I'm hardly an icon of what to do with a Thai wife, IMO where it all went wrong for you was in agreeing to give her that much in the first place. She then thought she'd be getting that much for ever.

I expected my wife to go out to work for her own money like most Thai wives. Not that it made any difference in the end, but I believe that we broke up because of her family wanting my money, not because of anything I did to her.

Yes it was too much to start with,agreed.

• Like 1

I thought it was mainly much older men who were expected to pay for everything. I thought that when the ages were similar, it would be understood that it will be more of a partnership. Perhaps it is a foreigner thing.

Are Thai men always expected to pay for their Thai girlfriends on dates etc? 

3 hours ago, suz123 said:

I thought it was mainly much older men who were expected to pay for everything. I thought that when the ages were similar, it would be understood that it will be more of a partnership. Perhaps it is a foreigner thing.

Are Thai men always expected to pay for their Thai girlfriends on dates etc? 

I don't know. I think she and her friends are simply wired this way. As you see, I can't even discuss her paying her fair share of stuff. In the past we also discussed moving in together and she was very firm in the idea that she wouldn't pay any rent: she said she'd only pay for utilities, and just because she had lots of namjai, not because she had to. My attempts to come up with an adult discussion about it were responded with a tantrum and her leaving for a couple of weeks.

What can I say, I'm pretty sure most Thai girls aren't like this? I want to believe that at least.

1 hour ago, andux said:

What can I say, I'm pretty sure most Thai girls aren't like this? I want to believe that at least

Many girls I have met are and some are not. I guess it is how they were brought up. 

My wife asked me a few days ago to bank some money she just made when finishing a contract. She said she wants to pay our way for our next trip to Australia. 

Keep looking till you find someone decent. Don't accept anything less then what you think is fair. If they don't play ball with you, move to the next. Plenty of fish in the sea here...  In fact,  over supply.

• Thanks 1

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 6:46 PM, totally thaied up said:

Many girls I have met are and some are not. I guess it is how they were brought up. 

My wife asked me a few days ago to bank some money she just made when finishing a contract. She said she wants to pay our way for our next trip to Australia. 

Keep looking till you find someone decent. Don't accept anything less then what you think is fair. If they don't play ball with you, move to the next. Plenty of fish in the sea here...  In fact,  over supply.

My wife was the perfect girlfriend. Her bad behaviour started over a year after we started living together.

There is no guarantee that the perfect wife of the start will remain that way.

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My wife was the perfect girlfriend. Her bad behaviour started over a year after we started living together.

There is no guarantee that the perfect wife of the start will remain that way.

Coming up three years in November now we have been married. She has not put a foot out of place. In fact, it only got better. You were just unlucky in getting a shitful family that demanded money and a wife that followed them. If my wife were like that, I would have walked away a long time ago. I don't need grubs hanging off me.

• Like 1

"However, when we go out or travel I usually cover the costs, due to her conservative beliefs. She believes men should always pay on dates and trips."

It reminded me of my recent visit to my TGF village. This was my first ever visit to Isaan. During 3 day stay I paid for everything and everybody. When I say everybody - I mean 20+ ppl all of whom were relatives of my GF. I paid for the drinks, food, cigarettes etc. And it felt wrong from the start. Now I understand that this was a part of their conservative beliefs and tradition. I misinterpreted their action as rude and not hospitable and now I feel sorry for themselves.

Edited by Zikomat
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

"However, when we go out or travel I usually cover the costs, due to her conservative beliefs. She believes men should always pay on dates and trips."

It reminded me of my recent visit to my TGF village. This was my first ever visit to Isaan. During 3 day stay I paid for everything and everybody. When I say everybody - I mean 20+ ppl all of whom were relatives of my GF. I paid for the drinks, food, cigarettes etc. And it felt wrong from the start. Now I understand that this was a part of their conservative beliefs and tradition. I misinterpreted their action as rude and not hospitable and now I feel sorry for themselves.

Please tell me you’re trolling. 

14 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Please tell me you’re trolling. 

Why? Sounds normal to me.

After my MIL died I "loaned" the family 60,000 baht for the funeral and was assured I'd get it back. Of course my wife was lying, as usual.

So, I got to treat the entire village to food and drink for 3 days.

That was a year before things got so bad that I wanted a divorce, Before that, it wasn't so bad that I couldn't tolerate it.

15 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Coming up three years in November now we have been married. She has not put a foot out of place. In fact, it only got better. You were just unlucky in getting a shitful family that demanded money and a wife that followed them. If my wife were like that, I would have walked away a long time ago. I don't need grubs hanging off me.

As things got slowly worse I was only staying with her for 26 weeks of the year. I was hoping things would improve once I moved there full time, but by the time I did it was too late.