SURVEY: China's action in the SE Asia -- acceptable or not?

Scott

SURVEY: China's action in the SE Asia -- acceptable or not?  

147 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There have been topics about Chinese actions and behavior in SE Asia.  The expansion of activities in the South China sea has been well covered and is most notable between the Philippines and China. Vietnam has also expressed concern about China's behavior in the area.

More recently, their was a Chines building collapse in Cambodia killing 28.    Which of the following statements best expresses your opinion on the matter.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

hat it means is Thailand cannot be sovereign in the future as it was a just few years ago....if it sticks with he US, in the future it will no longer make its own decisions with respect to government purchases, say, of 5G equipment and the like. Donald is already turning on everyone, so even if Thailand sticks with vassalage to the US, the US and will turn on Thailand's trade arrangements soon with higher tariffs....don't believe me? Wait and see. No longer able to trade freely with anyone it wants to....and will miss out on the world's largest market, China. 

If it moves its allegiance to China, it will lose preferential access to the US market at the very attractive tariffs it currently enjoys...and with worse conditions that the new ones Trump will introduce.

Thailand has one thing that America needs and that is access to the military bases that the US built during the Vietnam War and the ports.  The Us is accorded that access and as long as Thailand gives it- the US will not go after trade with Thailand.

The US Embassy in Thailand is the second largest in the World= and both countries get plenty from the relationship.

• Like 2

If it was something I could control or influence, I'd start thinking about it.

I believe it was Churchill who said the only difference between Nazism and Communism was whether it was the right boot or the left boot crushing you. There seems to be parallel concerns with the USA vs. China.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Look at what has happens in many Sub-Saharan African countries who welcomed Chinese investments with open arms. Their natural resources are being shamelessly and systematically plundered by what some economists have described as "new colonialism".

Yes, the short-term gains are luring. But the creeping domination and eventual wholesome reliance that Chinese involvement fosters in the long term, eventually only leaves one winner: China.  

Substitute the word "China" for Rome in the late Classical Period, various European countries in the Post Medieval period, or Russia and America in the 20th century and it all comes out the same:

Empire.

They come, they go, they rise, they fall.

China is back.

Enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

China's Belt and Road encroachment policy is the thin end of the wedge, and China is prepared to wait for this new initiative to reach fruition.

Its bulging wallet spreads largesse to the political elite among the poorer countries it is pulling into its net, a form of "debt colonialism"; much of the borrowed money is being spent on questionable infrastructure projects which those countries will be unable to repay long-term, and they will be firmly in China's grip.

There is no such thing as a free lunch!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, allanos said:

China's Belt and Road encroachment policy is the thin end of the wedge, and China is prepared to wait for this new initiative to reach fruition.

Its bulging wallet spreads largesse to the political elite among the poorer countries it is pulling into its net, a form of "debt colonialism"; much of the borrowed money is being spent on questionable infrastructure projects which those countries will be unable to repay long-term, and they will be firmly in China's grip.

There is no such thing as a free lunch!

The irony is, that bulging wallet is stuffed with American dollars.

3 hours ago, Enoon said:

Substitute the word "China" for Rome in the late Classical Period, various European countries in the Post Medieval period, or Russia and America in the 20th century and it all comes out the same:

Empire.

They come, they go, they rise, they fall.

China is back.

Enjoy the ride.

That will be the case later, or sooner if the Red Ponzi collapses.

The Peoples’ Republic of China should absolutely be opposed for its unilateral seizing of territory (same with Russia for the same reason). Knowing a bit of the history of China I do not find their economic and political moves at all surprising and in the same light definite caution needs to be taken by all affected. I favor all nations shipping through the international sea lanes abide by current international law and simply ignore Chinese claims and control demands. I would like to see international cooperation sailings through the area ignoring the Chinese claims. China knows well the influence of money in world affairs, she has only to look at British and US history (OK, Holland, Spain, French, etc. previously.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The irony is, that bulging wallet is stuffed with American dollars.

True words.

I won't say who lest a flame war break out, but there is somebody trying to do something about that.

Just now, seminomadic said:

True words.

I won't say who lest a flame war break out, but there is somebody trying to do something about that.

Would that be the same guy who has cut taxes on the wealthy increasing the national debt with US bonds being bought by China?

Trite survey. Who are expats to judge? Nevertheless, by 2030 China the most dominant (economically, militarily, influence wise) country worldwise closely followed by India. Sun is setting on the West, though it's been quite a run for the past 300-400 yrs.

• Like 1

I once read ,it's not the Russian's you should be worried

about ,but the yellow peril,the Chinese,they are spreading

their influence in many parts of the World,through their

wealth and economic power,Thailand been a prime example.

regards worgeordie