Falling baht a sign of things to come

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The baht has weakened against the US dollar, opening at Bt30.70 on Tuesday after closing at 30.67 the day before.

You gotta be kidding me.  One day of data fluctuation and "the sky is falling" for the THB.  

• Like 1

FALLING BAHT?!? What?!? Falling USD and most every other currency against the Almighty THB.

And 23 hours later...

30.54 (approx 6 yr low)

1 Year Chart 

image.png.28733426fc26433f348f72421e4bd98f.png

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Every major currency just keeps dropping ....

AUD 21.38  XE this morning ... next step 20.90 .....  and the US will be 29.00 soon ... with the GBP 36.90 

When will they stop dropping.

Dropping against what? Each other?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

If that's your criteria for currency manipulation, then the US administration is doing all it can to make the dollar cheaper and all the "western" counties encouraging zero or negative rates are mega manipulator so despite their denials. 

Just pointing out the hypocrisy, many countries manipulate their currency, Thailand denies this completely.

51 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Just pointing out the hypocrisy, many countries manipulate their currency, Thailand denies this completely.

since when does Thailand agrees on anything, they always deny anything and everything, Thainess slogan "it's not me it's them"

• Like 1

Times, they are a changing.  Many of us remember what the baht vs dollar was like many years ago.  I think it was 42 baht to the dollar when I first came to Thailand. 

Edited by khaowong1

26 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

Times, they are a changing.  Many of us remember what the baht vs dollar was like many years ago.  I think it was 42 baht to the dollar when I first came to Thailand. 

When I first went, it was about 20.4 Baht to the dollar.  1977.  In 1998, it went to 46.8. 

https://fxtop.com/en/historical-currency-converter.php?A=1&C1=USD&C2=THB&DD=01&MM=01&YYYY=1977&B=1&P=&I=1&btnOK=Go!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, adammike said:

It was tied to the dollar untill 1997 you got 25baht for a dollar.

Yes and No. It was "pegged" to the USD from 1956-1973 @ ฿20.8 : $1...from 1974-1978 @ ฿20 : $1...not sure what happened between then and 1984 when it was pegged @ ฿25 : $1, as there was alot of fluctuation between ฿20 and ฿25 in those years. 

So it was actually at ฿20 : $1 in 1977, as Damrongsak stated above. It was not pegged at ฿25 until mid-1984 or thereabouts and remained so pegged until 1997 when the Baht collapsed (The "Tom Yum Goong" Crisis) which triggered a chain reaction throughout the region...known as the Asian Financial Crisis or "Asian Contagion".

That was the best of times!!! :vampire:  ???? :burp: ???? :partytime2:

19 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Yes and No. It was "pegged" to the USD from 1956-1973 @ ฿20.8 : $1...from 1974-1978 @ ฿20 : $1...not sure what happened between then and 1984 when it was pegged @ ฿25 : $1, as there was alot of fluctuation between ฿20 and ฿25 in those years. 

So it was actually at ฿20 : $1 in 1977, as Damrongsak stated above. It was not pegged at ฿25 until mid-1984 or thereabouts and remained so pegged until 1997 when the Baht collapsed (The "Tom Yum Goong" Crisis) which triggered a chain reaction throughout the region...known as the Asian Financial Crisis or "Asian Contagion".

That was the best of times!!! :vampire:  ???? :burp: ???? :partytime2:

My bro-in-law sent a fair amount of money back to Thailand from the US just prior to the collapse.  He got about 25 Baht and it soon went over 40. He screwed himself.

Edited by Damrongsak
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

My bro-in-law sent a fair amount of money back to Thailand from the US just prior to the collapse.  He was got about 25 Baht and it soon went over 40. He screwed himself.

And now we're all SCREWED! ???? 

On 7/2/2019 at 10:38 PM, OJAS said:

Whereas the USD has only "rebounded" against the THB by 0.1% by my reckoning.

Fake news, I think.

Not fake, but also not news.

Twice wrong OJAS. ????

• Confused 1

On 7/3/2019 at 9:08 PM, Damrongsak said:

When I first went, it was about 20.4 Baht to the dollar.  1977.  In 1998, it went to 46.8.

in january 1998 i received 55.25 Baht for 1 US-Dollar.

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

I looked up Jan 1998 in that link I posted.  Jan 12th - 56.1. 

But that was during the Asian financial crisis,a year earlier you would have got 25 because the Baht was tied to the US dollar.At one moment it was 90 for a pound great if you changed a lot of pounds but not a good basis for long term budgeting.

5 minutes ago, adammike said:

But that was during the Asian financial crisis,a year earlier you would have got 25 because the Baht was tied to the US dollar.At one moment it was 90 for a pound great if you changed a lot of pounds but not a good basis for long term budgeting.

I went through my own Asian financial crisis in Thailand, 1977-79. I was in the Peace Corps making about 3,000 Baht per month.  But beer and girls were reasonably priced back then.  555

• Haha 1

Mikisteel. Hoping you are right and the Baht much too strong and it depends on the currency manipulators here and around the World
It also depends on this damn Brexit and over 2 years now??

Edited by john west