Celebrity beautician files libel cases against two police officers

snoop1130

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

One thing about this case that always seemed odd was, I never quite followed what Thai Immigration had to do with a fraud case against a Thai beauty shop operator.... I thought that strange and unusual at the time the case/arrest was first reported.

BJ was involved as a policeman or adviser in far more affairs than just immigration. The same was true when he was deputy at the tourist police. This case had nothing to do with immigration and was more a high profile case perhaps connected to BJ's role in the TACTICS force. 

Rooster

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Well, in America Chiropractors and Optometrists call themselves doctors. They are certainly not MD's. I claim to have a PHD in the Cuningulist arts, (and many females would agree) but I also know I am full of myself. :tongue: 

Your TV name is missing the letter 'k', or was that a deliberate attempt to disguise your identity?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, graeme64 said:

It is not illegal (in the west) to call yourself Doctor. 

that's a simple fact. you can not practice medicine and there are other titles you can not give yourself - you can not put Phd after your name [for memory] etc etc but you can call yourself Dr,

It’s not. At least in Germany it’s illegal to call yourself "Dr." without a postdoc.

Edited by kandi

1 hour ago, Ulic said:

I have never really understood this case. All makeup and beauty companies exaggerate the ability of their products to "turn back the clock" so to speak, and all those who wear makeup seek to pull the wool over other people's eyes and "defraud" them into believing the person wearing the makeup is more beautiful than they actually are. Indeed, viewing some of the transformations on YouTube the transformations of some are truly astounding. I am not really sure why she, and celeberadies in Thailand who have endorsed beauty products have been charged. Thais must be exceptionally gullible to believe the veracity of claims made to actually believe the claims fully. Akin to alchemists of an age past actually being able to turn lead into gold.

Another poster mentioned she claimed she's a doctor and isn't.

Edited by scorecard

16 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Poor old Big Joke. He went from hero to zero overnight. Maybe being sued for defamation is all part of his big come back. Or as some of the deluded members on here think, it's the beginning of his political career. ????????

Oh heaven forbid

Interesting balancing act here.  The 'public servants' have a job that includes protecting the public from exaggerated product and services claims.  But that's in a country where defamation litigation is used like a sledge-hammer.  
It will be interesting to see how the court rules on this one.

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Beauty expert Xeping Chaiyasan

Hmmm, could she be so "hi so" that she does the makeup for the top brass and Big Joke having upset the little Princes travelled all the way to the top while Mr PM was getting BJ and having his nails manicured, therefore removing him from his post as Immigration Chief ?

7 minutes ago, buanmeerugsaa said:

Libel is offensive written criticism. 

Slander is offensive spoken criticism. 

Good to get get this right. 

However, in say, more enlightened countries, another key consideration is that of opinion.  That's why if I log onto my favorite Travel website and rate my stay at a hotel - and I rate it really, really poorly because in my opinion the product and services were inferior to my expectations of the claims of the hotel's advertising - no court in my countries is going to rule in favor of the hotel is I tried to sue me for libel in court, especially if I can counter there claims with hard fact.  Which is another consideration - fact.  Factual evidence can be neither libelous of defamatory. 

Here in Thailand though.....  :whistling:  Sledge-hammer!  Aversion to criticism is baked into the fabric of the culture and is reflected in their legal structure.  

Again - it will be interesting to see how the court rules on this one and if the officers file their own counter-suits.

Criticize at your own peril - even in an official capacity.
image9.jpg.3b38c8ca78e108d4343600e57fc2662a.jpg

• Like 1

Wonder if she'll go after the newspapers who carried Big Joke's allegedly libellous (or more accurately, slanderous) statements?

The greater the truth, as someone once said, the greater the libel.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agree, to keep some balance in this report why didn't the media involved give some details of why she was charged?

It did, "Xeping was accused of making exaggerated claims in her beauty business", perhaps she was making exaggerated claims about her business?

5 hours ago, MrMo said:

Well, that should fail at the first day in court.   Libel is for the written word; spoken defamation would be slanderous.   Unless, of course, it's the translators mistake.

It's safe to assume that the accusations that were made about her and charges that were made against her had been made in writing.

Edited by Just Weird

4 hours ago, HHTel said:

Why does it have to be?  I know quite a few Thais that have 'non-Thai' names.  One called George for example.  And yes that's what's on his ID card.

I'm English with a French name.  .............

I suspect instead of the ever popular Mohammed in the West, Thais will soon favor "Xi" as the replacement for Somchai.

In a country obsessed with face it is still amazing that you are likely to win more damages as a result of libel and slander, not to forget possible jail time for the offenders, than you are following serious injury due to criminal negligence.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Briggsy said:

What's with the 'X' in 'Xeping'. That is not a Thai name.

its like japanese nicknames some thai gals use. seems they feel higher status by using a japanese or in this case a chinese name