On-the-run German nabbed on Interpol warrant

snoop1130

On-the-run German nabbed on Interpol warrant

By Khanathit Srihirundaj, The Nation

800_4c39fa459eae558.jpg

A 43-year-old German man wanted in his home country for fraud and document forgery has this week been arrested in the central province of Phetchabun, Immigration Bureau chief Pol Lt-General Sompong Chingduang said on Friday.

Following a request from their German counterparts, Thai police arrested Sacha Durst, 43, who had reportedly been laying low in Thailand since 2015, at a resort in Lom Kao district.

As he was on the run, a court in Germany ruled him guilty in absentia of fraud and document forgery and imposed a combined jail term of 2 years, 8 months and 2 weeks. It also issued an international arrest warrant for him via Interpol in April 2018.

Acting upon Interpol's request, Thai police investigated Durst’s whereabouts and found that he had opened a bar in the northeastern province of Chaiyaphum together with his Thai girlfriend.

They proceeded to arrest him and have initially charged him with overstaying his visa and using a forged document. They plan to deport and blacklist him.

Source: http://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372388

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-05

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Yes, it's another miscreant nabbed, but yet again it's taken over a year since Interpol issued an 'arrest warrant'.

It seems that only after 'acting on Interpol's request' did immigration find him.

What's the point of an all-singing-all-dancing-database, if it requires Interpol to directly request something, when the data is readily available to immigration?

No proactive approach on this by immigration themselves.

He's a forger, do you think he was wearing a t-shirt with his true identity plastered across the front? They nicked him in Thailand for using a forged document, unspecified, but there's your clue right there.

He wasn't using the ID off the Interpol database.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Traubert said:

He's a forger, do you think he was wearing a t-shirt with his true identity plastered across the front? They nicked him in Thailand for using a forged document, unspecified, but there's your clue right there.

He wasn't using the ID off the Interpol database.

Fair enough, that's an interesting point,

I wonder what other info Interpol issued to find him that wasn't on the 'arrest warrant'? Perhaps that could have made things happen faster, but we'll probably never know.

15 hours ago, zydeco said:

Another from the Fatherland bites the dust.

How did he die? I see nothing in the news article about Sacha Durst having died. Deportation and blacklisting are mentioned.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

It's been a bad week for the Germans with Interpol warrants. You have to say that opening a bar isn't exactly the best way to stay unnoticed when you are on the run, but then again, nor is cooking chicken in open view I suppose.

i'm sure payouts he was making to local authorities kept him "hidden". They couldn't help him when it went above their pay grade.  

21 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

They believe that this is the way to fix their public image.

Since the size of the board is limited by the height of the ceiling, I expect them to move the whole presentation outdoors in the future. Then they will also add fireworks and a brass band.

The music to start the whole thing off will be Entry Of The Gladiators.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Am I missing something here? Why must Thai Police print these huge posters displaying their prowess? And it says "Overstay".... wow is this such a crime it deserves a poster?

All Thai love the lime light, so what not ham it up to the max, take a look at all military, police, teachers, etc, they thrive on pretty uniforms covered in shit which has no more value than a boy/girl scout merit patch, any every time there's a chance for media cover they come out of the woodwork in droves.

• Like 2

There is no such thing as an International Arrest Warrant.

He was arrested and detained by the Thai police at a request from Interpol.  Interpol cannot force an arrest in any country.

If the country where the fugitive resides refused to arrest the guy, then nothing can be done about it.

1 minute ago, HHTel said:

There is no such thing as an International Arrest Warrant.

He was arrested and detained by the Thai police at a request from Interpol.  Interpol cannot force an arrest in any country.

If the country where the fugitive resides refused to arrest the guy, then nothing can be done about it.

I agree with that.

That was the reason I put it in inverted commas when I quoted it from the article.

17 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Yes, that's what you do when you want to lay low, dummy; you open a bar that frequently attracts visits from the local constabulary.

100% agree with you, but i suppose he needed to  finance his stay here.