Thai agents: Half-year travel dips

snoop1130

1 minute ago, Spellforce said:

The only conclusion is that we will see more and more chineses coming alone, not in groups.

Here at TV conclusions precede information provided and/or bear no relation to  it. 

40 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Thailand relies heavily on European Chinese major engineering firms for roads, bridges, submarines etc.

The powers that be love an exchange rate around 31 to the USD.

They can buy more, cheaper. 

Leaving more for the brown paper envelopes.  Seriously. 

Tourists don't really count for sqat in terms of the economics of Thailand. 

Most tourist spend is unreported and cash in hand.

Does not figure in the equation. 

If tourists want to come they have to accept the low exchange rates. 

Sadly for the people who choose to live here, it a different ball game. 

Keep on going, or defongerate. 

Are you serious?

"Tourism is a major economic contributor to the Kingdom of Thailand. Estimates oftourism revenue directly contributing to the Thai GDP of 12 trillion baht range from one trillion baht (2013) 2.53 trillion baht (2016), the equivalent of 9 per cent to 17.7 per cent of GDP."

Wikipedia

And that takes no account of the hundreds of thousands of jobs, formal and informal, that rely on tourism.

I'll have some of what you're smoking.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lenny Jones said:

The Chinese are internationally known as "Zero Dollar Tourists"  They are worthless if a country is looking for tourist money - -

This is just flat out wrong. My wife owns stem cell and anti-aging clinics in both Phuket and Bangkok. Her main customers are Chinese. They spend $50k usd to $1 million USD per treatment. Stem cell alone is $75k usd / treatment ( cost to my wife is $500 ). Chinese spend mega bucks in Thailand. My wife doesn’t even bother targeting Europeans or Americans because they’re too poor. If you’re at all familiar with stem cell, alternative medicine, and anti-aging you would know that the only tourists we go after are the Chinese and the Saudis. The math is just stupid when you consider the markup. My wife’s clinic in Bangkok alone sees 100 patients for stem cell per month. The Chinese women are particularly fond of stem cell for vaginal rejuvenation and achieving multiple-orgasms. The Chinese men love stem cell for penis enlargement. Yes, injecting stem cell into your penis will make it bigger.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Lenny Jones said:

The Chinese are internationally known as "Zero Dollar Tourists"  They are worthless if a country is looking for tourist money - -

If I remember correctly good for about $6 billion in the States. The biggest spenders.

17 hours ago, dcnx said:

People are tired of Thailand’s crap. It’s endless nonsense here. It takes a lot but you can actually kill the Goose that lays the golden egg. I don’t think that’s the case yet but it’s not far away. Especially when Thailand’s neighbors are more welcoming and easier than ever to get around in.

Thailand had an advantage for decades because of the infrastructure and ease of getting around inside the country. Thailand was cheap and easy. Well, it’s not that cheap anymore and all the other dirt holes in the area have come up and are now easy. 

The Thais will have to learn the hard way that they are not now and never were special. They just had a jump on the competition. And honestly, what’s left to see here that hasn’t been ruined by mass tourism? If you’ve been here twice, you’ve seen enough unless you’re a sex tourist.

You describe Thailand as a "dirt hole"? Do you live here?

16 minutes ago, elgenon said:

You describe Thailand as a "dirt hole"? Do you live here?

16 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Well, it’s not that cheap anymore and all the other dirt holes in the area have come up and are now easy.

I think he was referring to Vietnam,Cambodia and Laos.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

18 hours ago, SteveK said:

Don't forget that the insanely strong Thai baht is very good news for the powerful people in Thailand who buy foreign investments.

It's good if you're paying for submarines and tanks too!

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Brigand said:

Well, you could say they have weaponized the baht. A high baht does two obvious things that they want atm, firstly it gets rid of many westerners that are living full time here that they seem uninterested in now, and secondly they can strip the tourists that do come for their foreign currency and there are still plenty even if numbers are down. There are still loads of Chinese and Indians coming so it's good for them to have a strong currency. The Euro, and especially the pound, are doing badly because of uncertainty and not because their economies are bad ... markets hate uncertainty. Once the direction of the UK is decided (in or out deal/WTO) and the EU's path can be seen for the next 5 years then these two currencies will bounce back. I'm unsure why the Thai government is happy to let their exporters/farmers feel the pain with falling exports, but I guess the elite is ambivalent on this and has plans that are more important, like procurement power of certain foreign goods for import or investment for a select few overseas.      

You got it one !!!!

18 hours ago, Brigand said:

The Euro, and especially the pound, are doing badly because of uncertainty and not because their economies are bad ... markets hate uncertainty.

If a Coup and No ruling government doesn't constitute uncertainty well the Australia dollar should be batting a 100 then.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Association of Thai Travel Agents bases its data on fees paid to the Airports of Thailand for clients offered meet-and-greet services by member companies.

It's trend for a specialized "meet-and-greet services" section, not tourism, or incoming gusts, in general. However tourism might be slightly down due to the more expensive exchange rate baht.

19 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

wish I had 10 baht for every 'the sky is falling in Thailand' story I've read in the last 17 yrs...

A lot has happened since 1993 when I first landed. I don't think the sky is falling, but then again I remember the SE Asian economic collapse of 1997. To deny that things don't repeat themselves is much like believing the uniform has never meddled in civilian affairs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spellforce said:

Most comments are off topic (westerners, strong Bahts etc...).

That article only tells that there is a decline of CHINESE tourists coming in Thailand with TOUR OPERATORS.

Advise you to actually look at chart half way down the full article.

Some highlights, Korea -15%, Japan -8%, UK - 24%, Germany -6%, France -10%, Hong Kong -22%.

Those are all mature markets so no real reason for sudden abandonment of Travel agent services. Only mature markets with increased numbers were USA and Taiwan

19 hours ago, dcnx said:

People are tired of Thailand’s crap. It’s endless nonsense here. It takes a lot but you can actually kill the Goose that lays the golden egg. I don’t think that’s the case yet but it’s not far away. Especially when Thailand’s neighbors are more welcoming and easier than ever to get around in.

Thailand had an advantage for decades because of the infrastructure and ease of getting around inside the country. Thailand was cheap and easy. Well, it’s not that cheap anymore and all the other dirt holes in the area have come up and are now easy. 

The Thais will have to learn the hard way that they are not now and never were special. They just had a jump on the competition. And honestly, what’s left to see here that hasn’t been ruined by mass tourism? If you’ve been here twice, you’ve seen enough unless you’re a sex tourist.

Also PERHAPS tourists have seen/heard the way that Immigration is treating prospective "guests" - (both short term and long stay) in their country, and are saying "no thank you" with their feet?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, alfalfa19 said:

I'm no economist, but I would not let a 2,3, or 5 % raise in the baht-to-dollar ratio deter me if I was planning to visit thailand.    However, I am deterred by several other factors, such as:  the absolute contempt shown for foreign tourists in many of the major tourist destinations,  the taxi mafias,  the double pricing, the Russians, the  traffic, etc, etc.  

Why do "the Russians" deter you from visiting Thailand?

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

It is easy to blame the strong baht. And it is definitely a factor. But, there are so many other factors. The army, Prayuth, and the biggest joke spent five years sabotaging Western tourism. Now, the damage can be felt, and people are worried. Millions of jobs are at stake.

Same applies to ex-pats. Many are leaving, or have left. Not feeling welcome?

Hopefully, we will eventually see a correction in the Thai baht. Although I feel for those in the hotel industry, lower rates over the long haul sure works for me! It may be the one area where we do not see inflation rearing it's ugly head!

Maybe 2 or 3% of expats have left.  Thai economy is still going up but at a slower rate - no jobs are at stake and unemployment is still among the lowest in the world and using millions of Burmese, Khmer and Laotians to do the menial labor part.  There is no correction of the Thai baht in the foreseeable future.  If Brexit fails or Trump gets the boot and an administration with a clue takes over the dollar and pound may rise relative to the baht but it's not a correction of the baht rather a correction up of the dollar and pound.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Duck J Butters said:

This is just flat out wrong. My wife owns stem cell and anti-aging clinics in both Phuket and Bangkok. Her main customers are Chinese. They spend $50k usd to $1 million USD per treatment. Stem cell alone is $75k usd / treatment ( cost to my wife is $500 ). Chinese spend mega bucks in Thailand. My wife doesn’t even bother targeting Europeans or Americans because they’re too poor. If you’re at all familiar with stem cell, alternative medicine, and anti-aging you would know that the only tourists we go after are the Chinese and the Saudis. The math is just stupid when you consider the markup. My wife’s clinic in Bangkok alone sees 100 patients for stem cell per month. The Chinese women are particularly fond of stem cell for vaginal rejuvenation and achieving multiple-orgasms. The Chinese men love stem cell for penis enlargement. Yes, injecting stem cell into your penis will make it bigger.

You must not know very much about Chinese to quote such utter nonsense. Chinese women literally think one orgasm is more than enough and any man who can sex her long enough to make her cum more than that, is a barbarian who will make her worn out and unable to work. Also, their men don't really care to make an effort to give a woman an orgasm. Then there is your other line about penis enlargement haha.. Just the hint that a Chinese man has a small pecker and is needing it enlarged would put more shame and loss of face than if he was caught lying. Also because most Chinese women are fairly frigid and don't have casual sex, they are scared a big pecker would hurt them. 

All of which my comments have been said by many many Chinese single and married within the past few years. 

• Haha 2