Registered at multiple locations for TM30

Searched the forums high and low but can't find an answer ????

I rent an apartment in Chiang Mai month-by-month, and they have registered me for the TM30. I went out of town for a few days, and I suppose the hotel I stayed at registered me, as they should.

I'm sure the Chiang Mai apartment didn't "de-register" me, since they didn't know I was going away, so I'm guessing that I've been registered at both places for those few days.

On my return to Chiang Mai, do I need to do anything? Do I need to get the Chiang Mai apartment owner to do something to state that I've returned to their apartment?

58 minutes ago, dexter62 said:

On my return to Chiang Mai, do I need to do anything? Do I need to get the Chiang Mai apartment owner to do something to state that I've returned to their apartment?

The system works on that basis that a TM.30 is submitted by every place you stay at when you arrive. So, currently, the hotel will be your last known address, until a new TM.30 is submitted.

The CM apartment owner should submit a new TM.30, but only if required by CM immigration.

Edited by elviajero
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Not true. The law requires a new TM.30 every time you return from staying elsewhere; some offices enforce that, some don’t. It’s inconsistency that is calling all the trouble.

If this is even a little bit true, can the moderators construct a template/Pinned Topic with all of the Immigration offices on the vertical axis, and their requirements upon a return from international and domestic overnight travel on the horizontal axis ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The law requires a new TM.30 every time you return from staying elsewhere

This is my understanding as well. The idea is that they can keep track of where us dirty stinkin' foreigners are at any given time. I'm worried because by being registered at 2 different places at the same time, it is now unclear where I actually was.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, elviajero said:

The CM apartment owner should submit a new TM.30, but only if required by CM immigration.

Thanks. Out of curiosity, why the "only if required"? I'm trying to avoid getting fined, so if they tell me it's required, it'll be too late and I'll probably get stung.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, allane said:

If this is even a little bit true, can the moderators construct a template/Pinned Topic with all of the Immigration offices on the vertical axis, and their requirements upon a return from international and domestic overnight travel on the horizontal axis ?

It is very true. 

As for template/pinned topic...,it all depends on imm office. CW never required in my last several yrs here, but requiring now.

Its probably best just to take note of how the imm office your report to is dealing with tm30. Many still not enforcing it. Think Jomtien is one example

28 minutes ago, dexter62 said:

This is my understanding as well. The idea is that they can keep track of where us dirty stinkin' foreigners are at any given time. I'm worried because by being registered at 2 different places at the same time, it is now unclear where I actually was.

You can’t be registered at two places on the national TM.30 system because every time a new report is submitted it overwrites the last and becomes your address. That is why a new report is required — under a system — meant to work and track us.

If you have an extension of stay the address given when you applied and subsequent 90 day reports is held on a different local database. That isn’t, as a rule, changed by TM30 reports.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, dexter62 said:

Thanks. Out of curiosity, why the "only if required"? I'm trying to avoid getting fined, so if they tell me it's required, it'll be too late and I'll probably get stung.

The law has been around for 40 years, but it’s only in recent years that offices have started selectively enforcing it for private property.

When the law was written most visitors stayed in hotels who have been — unbeknown to many — making these reports for decades. Following the Bangkok bombing the authorities decided they needed to keep better tabs on us, so the offices increased enforcement of the increasing numbers of visitors staying in private residences. Fortunately most offices still do not fully enforce the law, but that inconsistency cause problems.

The best advice is to explain your situation to your local office and ask them what and when reports are required,

Edited by elviajero
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You can’t be registered at two places on the national TM.30 system because every time a new report is submitted it overwrites the last and becomes your address.

OK, I think I get it. The hotels register you when you check-in, but they don't do anything when you leave, that's taken care of by the next place you go to. So all I need to do is "check-in" again in Chiang Mai, and I should be OK.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, dexter62 said:

OK, I think I get it. The hotels register you when you check-in, but they don't do anything when you leave, that's taken care of by the next place you go to. So all I need to do is "check-in" again in Chiang Mai, and I should be OK.

Thanks

Correct. Although to add to the confusion, these reports aren’t really our responsibility. Unfortunately if not done they can, in some cases, stop/delay extensions or result in fines.

Edited by elviajero
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

You should have added "...fines to us, even though these reports are not our responsibility."

If anyone is to be fined following the return of a foreigner to the same rented residence for which he (the foreigner) has already submitted a TM 30, it should be the owner, not the renter.

• Thanks 1

In preparation for leaving Thailand for good, I'm doing weekly trips to/from Laos with boxes. That means visiting my immigration office every Monday to report in because my landlord certainly won't, (yes my local IO requires it).

Ludicrous rule... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, simon43 said:

In preparation for leaving Thailand for good, I'm doing weekly trips to/from Laos with boxes. That means visiting my immigration office every Monday to report in because my landlord certainly won't, (yes my local IO requires it).

Ludicrous rule... 

Why are you bothering if you’re leaving!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, allane said:

All of this TM 30 trouble applies only upon a return from travel outside of Thailand.  Neither you nor your landlord need to do anything.

17 hours ago, elviajero said:

Not true. The law requires a new TM.30 every time you return from staying elsewhere; some offices enforce that, some don’t. It’s inconsistency that is causing all the trouble.

CM only wants it after returning from abroad. At least that's what they said when I asked, on two different occasions.

17 hours ago, elviajero said:

Not true. The law requires a new TM.30 every time you return from staying elsewhere; some offices enforce that, some don’t. It’s inconsistency that is causing all the trouble.

A couple of weeks ago I returned home to Chiang Rai after spending a few nights in Bangkok with some past colleagues.  The Chiang Rai IO required a new TM.30.  My wife is registering for the on-line system so we don't need to go to the office every time I spend a few nights away.

• Like 1

If the hotel did not get your passport information they did not report you.  In six years here I have only had one hotel ask for my passport, they always just take my wife's ID.

• Like 2

Thailand really is amazing! I had a chat with the guesthouse staff, and it turns out they don't report foreigners using the online system, because they couldn't get an account created. Apparently, a guy from immigration comes around every day, and other guesthouses as well, one would assume, to pick up the paperwork. The guesthouse has printouts of the online system's web page for each guest, so I'm guessing someone back at the office is manually registering the guests, printing out the registration, then sending those printouts back to each guesthouse. No wonder these guys are continually pissed at us ????

5 minutes ago, dexter62 said:

Apparently, a guy from immigration comes around every day, and other guesthouses as well, one would assume, to pick up the paperwork.

Hotels used to fax the nightly reports to Immigration.

Some Immigraiton offices allow hotels to email a spreadsheet nightly.

For the OP, I think your individual record shows the current, or most recently filed TM30 address. That needs to match the address you might be using at Immigration for any services.

FYI, I was told in Buriram yesterday that if I overnight outside the province I need to do a new TM30 when I get back. Mind you, the officer admitted that it’s only really if I stay in a hotel as they’ll register me. If I stay with a friend there’s no record!

18 hours ago, allane said:

You should have added "...fines to us, even though these reports are not our responsibility."

If anyone is to be fined following the return of a foreigner to the same rented residence for which he (the foreigner) has already submitted a TM 30, it should be the owner, not the renter.

Many people just deduct the fine from their rent.

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

CM only wants it after returning from abroad. At least that's what they said when I asked, on two different occasions.

And we were told by the 'N' section at CW, that a new TM30 only needs to be filed if you change permanent address!  Basically, different sections seem to be giving out different information.

40 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And we were told by the 'N' section at CW, that a new TM30 only needs to be filed if you change permanent address!  Basically, different sections seem to be giving out different information.

Last week with the extension of stay (Non "O") I was told at CW that returning from every location, so also in Thailand, I must do a tm30 ......

20 hours ago, dexter62 said:

Does the condo you rent in CM register you online ? if yes ask the owner for the password and you can register yourself whenever you go back to it.

51 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That's what a TM28 is for. 

As it happens would you need to do a TM30 as well as a TM28 for an address change ?

20 hours ago, allane said:

Is this the law, or your opinion? (Just asking.)

22 hours ago, allane said:

All of this TM 30 trouble applies only upon a return from travel outside of Thailand.  Neither you nor your landlord need to do anything.

wrong. I never exited the country , still my last TM 30 was at  a hotel in Koh chang at immigration's computer and was told it is invalid and my landlord needed to file one when i came back from there.