Zebra Crossings to be made safe in Thailand, says Royal Thai Police

webfact

55 minutes ago, intherealworld said:

Yes sure.

I remember the truck driver killing the two tourists in Bangkok. a few years back.

When they had the silly red flags you were supposed to wave at on coming traffic, signaling to the drivers to stop and let people cross the road.

This will be the same.

No one will care, because deep down Thailand does not care. 

All just more Hot Air.  

A horrendous day

remember it well my friend was the ops manager for the tour company they were traveling  with

I was his opposite number in the rival company.

• Like 1

Well this is interesting for the police to say. 

The zebra/pedestrian crossings should be monitored by police.

Also better sign posted and marked,

I try to drive safely and always try to stop for pedestrians.

However, sometimes the crossings are hard to see with the paint hardly visible and they are not signposted like in other countries.

Australia has lit signs over the crossing and extra lighting at night time and it make them very visible.

The police highway patrol, Line application, has many photo's showing a smiling policeman and smiling pedestrians crossing the road, but I never see anyone fined, arrested or admonished for not stopping at a crossing.

24 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Anyone stopping at a zebra crossing runs the huge risk of the fool behind careering into the back of you and you into the pedestrians and everything your fault???? 

I stopped - stopping at zebra crossings years ago when I realised nobody else was going to stop and all you were doing was endangering the "pedestrians" 

• Like 2

Zebra Crossings to be made safe in Thailand, says Royal Thai Police.

Seriously?!  Even if they made them bridges or tunnels pedestrians would still be in danger from road users taking a short cut!  Motorists here consider red stop lights as purely advisory!

35 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Everyone has to pull together, especially observing correct speed limits.:cheesy:????????️‍♀️

Well he certainly is living in LA-LA land, never gonna happen.

Perhaps it would be necessary to start by drastically reducing the speed in the city as it has existed for ages in Europe;
most European city centers are limited to 30 km / h ( 20 miles in England ), when the use of a motorized vehicle is permitted.
Many European city centers are totally forbidden to motor vehicles

For the moment, in Thailand, speed is limited to 80 km / h for sedans, pickups and motorcycles;
so much to send the pedestrians directly to the mortuary;
When we see, in Pattaya, for example, the pedestrian crossings at traffic lights that 90% of motorists do not know ... it will be necessary to put a pack of uncorrupted cops at the foot of these traffic lights and tens of thousands of existing pedestrian passages in Thailand.

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 1

As we all know, in CA hitting a pedestrian in a crosswalk or even jaywalking can result in financial ruin, or at least great financial distress. That's what it takes, but by keeping half the population in total poverty, there are all these people who are effectively judgement-proof.

• Like 2