Little rain expected so save water, pleads Ministry

snoop1130

Little rain expected so save water, pleads Ministry

By The Nation

800_d74073c61119647.jpg

The Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives is calling on people everywhere to save water as this year’s rainy season is expected to remain drier than normal.

“There won’t be much rain between August and September,” the ministry’s permanent secretary Anan Suwannarat said on Monday, citing information from the Meteorological Department. “Rainfall for the whole wet season this year is likely to be between five and 10 per cent lower than normal.”

Anan called on farmers who have not yet sown seeds to postpone their usual activities.

Records show that medium and large reservoirs across the country are now just 49 per cent full, holding just 13,093 million cubic metres of disposable water.

Nakhon Ratchasima’s Phimai district, for example, is gripped by an ongoing drought despite the fact the country is well into its usual rainy season. Locals say the ongoing drought is the worst in 50 years: the Phimai Dam was less than 10 per cent full as of press time on Monday.

Without the water they need to even grow enough food to feed themselves many farmers have become so desperate they have even started going to the dam to collect snails to eat.

The Royal Irrigation Department’s director general Dr Thongplew Kongjun said his agency was now advising rice farmers to be self-sufficient. “If possible, use rainwater,” he said.

Dr Surasee Kittimonton, Director-General of the Royal Rainmaking and Agricultural Aviation Department, said his agency had already carried out more than 3,300 flights for cloud seeding over 149 million rai of farmland since March 1. “This is a very high number,” he saidฃฦ

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373011

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-15

Ah Crap!

Will have to have only one shower a day from 1 large bottle of water (not even from the shower) compared to my usual 3/4 showers a day. 

My wife will love that 

"You stink!"

Don't forget "If it is yellow let it mellow

If it is brown flush it down"

Edited by kirbi53
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

In my neck of the woods, it is more like 100% since we have no rain... at all! 

I mean zero rainfall since the beginning of July, and it doesn't look like it's gonna change soon. 

It is gonna be a double disaster for farmers. 

First, they gonna lose a great deal of their rice crop, then they gonna find themselves with no water because the underground water tables are not replenished. 

Right now, almost nobody seems to realize the consequences of this failed rain season, but going into the last quarter, many will feel the pain... 

Dang! We got three days of pretty much continuous heavy rain that flooded about half paddies earlier this month and nothing since.

You're right, at this rate, gonna be a lot of locals in trouble by the end of the year.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Where I live we have had two months of very heavy rain but the rain has dropped back a lot in the last couple of weeks I thought we were heading for a very wet year shame the rest of the country did not get the same

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

For starters All the houses should have Guttering and a few water storage tanks . and there should more dams so they can collect the run of from paddocks and drains.The farmers should look into other crops that don't need as much water ,,,they do all the above  in other countries ,,,

Any suggestions on what sort of crops you are talking about that would grow over here?

3 hours ago, tominbkk said:

Tell that to the golf courses and four crop a year farmers.

the golf courses use their own water supplies, not town water or river water. When I played Inthanon G C in Feb their dams were already dry. The course hadn't been watered for over 1 week. If they've had as little rain as we have where I'm living in CM Province, then I can't see the Korean management saving the course at all. It was in disgraceful condition for a course of that caliber even then. So tominbkk please don't generalize about things like that when it's obvious you have NFI.