PM Prayut speaks out! No more ripping off of tourists - it's bad for Thailand's wonderful image

webfact

16 hours ago, darksidedog said:

In the meantime, greed is going to see this sort of thing happen again and again, by those who care nothing for the reputation of the place, but only about their own pockets.

I'll be damned if that doesn't sound just like the current state of my home country.

Greed gone global.

• Thanks 1

5 years he has been in officve and all of a sudden he wants to take action. Its is in the Thai make-up to rip off farang. Look at the shop in my village I buy 2 bottles of Leo from the lady in shop and she charges me 140 baht. Step daughter goes for me and she is charged 120 baht.  I know its only 20 baht but what is the reason we are charged different prices. In my country if you did that it would be an offence charging differnt prices because of your race. Mind you my opinion of that shop lady has changed I thought she was my friend and now i have moved onto another shop. So it is in their mak-up alright See a farang overcharge him

• Like 1

I don’t get how they were ripped off. I went to Phuket a few months ago. Didn’t have the first clue where to go to get transport from the airport. Followed the transport signs out of customs and went to a small booth where two girls had a map. You pointed to where you want to go tell them how many people and it had the price on the map which you paid them. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

had the price

Can you perhaps tell us the price so that tourists can convert it in their home currencies?

(Never mind meter and silly stuff like that)

Edited by lkv

16 hours ago, sahibji said:

australians quite singapore for cheaper beer in bali. tourists will go to places where their money goes further and they are also safe.

As an Australian I take exception to your comment Australians are only concerned with cheaper beer safety has nothing to do with it!Obviously your knowledge of us is misapprehended!How dare you suggest such a thing!

Edited by FarFlungFalang
Add Text
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Golden Brown said:

The low paid in many countries throughout the world pay no tax.   These people you are talking about earn very little, barely enough to buy food and other necessities to survive.   What's wrong with you people?   Do you begrudge them even the basic's in life!   The majority get maybe Bt300 a day (those zillions you talk about working in the fields) and YOU expect them to pay tax on that!   Your a sick man who has obviously forgotten where you come from!

Where I come from pensioners pay tax on low incomes, seems "rich" pensioners over 75 will now have to pay to watch TV....

Now you tell me, in LOS do tax inspectors go round checking on income for tax purposes..?

Your last sentence deserves reporting but I will ignore it this time....????

It's standard Thai economics, if you have less customers you have to charge them more to end up with the same income. "Simples."

I've seen this over and over again having been based here for some 35 years, if anyone thinks it will change forget it. just live with it.

23 hours ago, webfact said:

The tourists went to the police. 

The tourists often have to go to the police to retrieve their licences confiscated by the police the day before (on a piddling trumped up offence geared to generating revenue.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the people on here said that tourists spend a pile of money over in Thailand but in actual fact they don't

They may say their being ripped off but they couldn't buy anything that they get in Thailand for anywhere near as cheap in their own country 

I know this because I'm an Australian and every time I go over to Thailand i get treated very well and the prices for everything is very cheap but then i don't go out of my way to start trouble in tourist areas 

I have always found the Thai people very good and helpful as well as more trustworthy than people i have found in New Zealand, America, England, Scotland or Ireland and even in my own country the only ones I really trust are the ones I grew up with and went to school with.

All the Asuan countries have far more trust worthy people in them especially the poorer people and value for our money we can't get anywhere near the value in our own Countries so stop putting down Thai and all Asian cultures when your own aren't anywhere near as honest or good

• Haha 2

Got to page 8, I don't get you guys, there is nothing you can do to fix Thailand, it's not doable, just spent 20 days in Vietnam, Saigon and Phu Quoc, talked to a lot of expat business owners there. I'm making my plans to move there. Going to start  business there. Just going to look at some more areas. I was very impressed with Vietnam. Going back in about 3 weeks. All the expats I know here are taking a very close look at Vietnam. Maybe you should too.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 9:21 AM, webfact said:

The PM had instructed the authorities to stop the practice of fleecing visitors, they added, without giving further detail.

Then stop the TM 30 shakedown.

The number of tourist to thailand is always growing up and it will be for ever. I pay always 500 baht over the normal price for taxi driver it is only 15 dollars . As a tourist you must be generous. 

On 7/18/2019 at 11:07 AM, nickstav said:

On the lighter side, funny story...we went to a major waterpark. My girlfriend was charged the full price of admission, while I got the 50% senior citizen discount. She was so pissed-off about that and all day was mumbling under her breath "490 Baht" (the senior citizen price I had paid).

In my local water park over 60s go in free, so my Thai wife gets charged and I don’t ????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now that tourism hits records low attendance, suddenly the PM wakes up and wants to do "something"

about it. Today, thanks to social media news travel faster than a speeding bullet.

Don't wait tomorrow PM fix the problem NOW! 

It's nice to be important but it's important to be nice.

PM Prayut speaks out! No more ripping off of tourists - it's bad for Thailand's wonderful image

I have serious doubts that Thais will stop ripping off tourists as long as they only get a verbal warning or a slap on the wrist.

How about arresting them, returning the overcharged money to the tourist while being pictured?

With their "loose face phobia" i bet they quit scamming and overcharging tourists.

A lot of expats are complaining about onerous regulations. This is not putting off tourists only retirees. The Govt is only interested in the tourist who comes here spends a bucket load of foreign cash in the shortest time possible and buggers off until next year. They are not interested in expats who stay long term regardless of the value they may bring and that is their right. The dont want the pensioner who spends $500 per week, they want people like my cashed up mate who will be here for one month and spend 10,000 in a month and then gone. until next year.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:21 AM, webfact said:

Good , problem solved!  We can all go back to our caves now.

We love you Prayut, now we are all safe.

"PM Prayut speaks out! No more ripping off of tourists - it's bad for Thailand's wonderful image"

Pull the other one, it's got bells on! Tourists are not interested in self-portrayed, false images; they go for sun, escape, culture and the other. The image you and yours are purveying is certainly not a wonderful one, though you might correct that by giving Thailand back to the people.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 9:50 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

Someone who stole an entire country has no right to tell the citizens that dishonesty is not acceptable.

I. AM. MIND. BLOWN.

I deserve you the "Smartest human being on Earth Award of 2019" based on that comment alone.

My hats to you sir.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:56 PM, Eligius said:

'Someone who stole an entire country' - yes: TWICE OVER!

Or the Thai people just let him take it from them by their inaction. The Thais could learn a lot from Hong Kong but most probably don't even know it exists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1