The Aussie Rules Football Thread - The Greatest Game On Earth

What do you think the problem is with the Vic teams,old one?, obviously there are too many, four have to go then you have a very fair situation where each team plays every one of the others twice in a season, home and away; but at the moment the draft makes everything equal, it's nothing to do with money or population. I mean the Crows are the richest club in the league by miles for no flags this century. Is it to do with hide bound coaching and recruiting techniques? I think club administration has a lot to do with it, clubs need highly professional administrators who have nothing to do with the running of the team. I think this has been a lot of the problem, even with the Crows, too much interference in the team by amateurs.

As you've stated, too many Vic clubs sharing supporter bases and the sponsors dollars. Mental reluctance to let go of the old traditions and update into the modern, scientific methods of biometrics and training. Club training facilities for some are small, old, outdated.

Less money to hire top notch staff at all levels from administration to speciality coaches. They just can't match the money the super rich clubs like The Crows and Eagles have.

I've heard of the amazement some former Victorian club players have expressed the first time they've walked into the Gym at interstate clubs. And again, at the professionalism and work ethic there.

They need to lose at least two clubs, and I guess it's slowly happenning with Hawthorn playing more in Tassie and The Kangas at the Gold Coast.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For your information the Crow Boy is number 31 out of 947 on the Thai Air tipping comp which is pretty handy I must say. Didn't notice any Old Crocs or sceadugenga's in the list of the top 50 :D

http://thaiairways.footytips.com.au/cfm/ft...31&finals=0

If you want to check out list the address is above - may need a wheelbarrow and trowel to fit into a http address line

CB

I'm currently coming last in the footy tipping comp I'm in. I can't seem to pick my nose at the moment. :D

Although, I did win the World Cup Soccer tipping comp last year on this forum much to the chagrin of all the Poms and Europeans who live and breath that code. Not bad for an old Aussie rules player! :o

For your information the Crow Boy is number 31 out of 947 on the Thai Air tipping comp which is pretty handy I must say. Didn't notice any Old Crocs or sceadugenga's in the list of the top 50 :D

If you want to check out list the address is above - may need a wheelbarrow and trowel to fit into a http address line

CB

I'm currently coming last in the footy tipping comp I'm in. I can't seem to pick my nose at the moment. :D

Although, I did win the World Cup Soccer tipping comp last year on this forum much to the chagrin of all the Poms and Europeans who live and breath that code. Not bad for an old Aussie rules player! :o

Been picking Freo to win eh? As an Eagles man you should go with your heart not your head there. Son nom nar. :D

CB

Although, I did win the World Cup Soccer tipping comp last year on this forum much to the chagrin of all the Poms and Europeans who live and breath that code. Not bad for an old Aussie rules player! :D

very old I am told :o:D

CB

I was sentenced to several years in NSW from Victoria. My first year there, I was asked to enter the office Rugby League tipping comp - RL is a game I knew nothing about and said so, but everyone said I had to enter as part of the office comraderie etc. The competion entry was $1 per week per player and the winner took 60% of the pool, 2nd took 20%, 3rd got 15% and the wooden spooner got the remaining 5%. I figured I would most likely get the 5% which would at least help to offset the entry price. With nearly 50 people playing it was a fairly big thing and there was a lot of pressure to win or at least not look like a tipping idiot. I decided to tip the team playing at home and won against all the hard core league nuts who were disgusted that not only had they been beaten by an AFL fanatic but by a Mexican (they all assumed I was Victorian).

The second year I was persuaded to join in and won using a combination of home town and best guess.

The third year I wasn't asked and not allowed to play.

CB

Edited by Crow Boy

CB

Although, I did win the World Cup Soccer tipping comp last year on this forum much to the chagrin of all the Poms and Europeans who live and breath that code. Not bad for an old Aussie rules player! :D

As the hills Bronco. 59 in a few weeks!

For your information the Crow Boy is number 31 out of 947 on the Thai Air tipping comp which is pretty handy I must say. Didn't notice any Old Crocs or sceadugenga's in the list of the top 50 :bah:

CB

I'm currently coming last in the footy tipping comp I'm in. I can't seem to pick my nose at the moment. :bah:

only 1/8th yorkies age :D:o:D

For your information the Crow Boy is number 31 out of 947 on the Thai Air tipping comp which is pretty handy I must say. Didn't notice any Old Crocs or sceadugenga's in the list of the top 50 :bah:

CB

I'm currently coming last in the footy tipping comp I'm in. I can't seem to pick my nose at the moment. :bah:

A couple of days older than his best mate. ;)

CB

A couple of days older than his best mate. ;)

his best mate dont shout either

Nothing wrong with being 59 in a couple of weeks, I'm only three months away today. (No flowers please).

I hit 49 this year and time seems to be galloping away

CB

50 to 55 was the best 5 years of my life Crowie, I got out of the marriage from hel_l and went and did stuff I'd been thinking about for years, made new friends, saw out of the way places, gave up work while I was still young enough to enjoy retirement then moved to Thailand.

And I haven't even mentioned the women yet. :o

Nothing wrong with being 59 in a couple of weeks, I'm only three months away today. (No flowers please).

I hit 49 this year and time seems to be galloping away

CB

50 to 55 was the best 5 years of my life Crowie, I got out of the marriage from hel_l and went and did stuff I'd been thinking about for years, made new friends, saw out of the way places, gave up work while I was still young enough to enjoy retirement then moved to Thailand.

And I haven't even mentioned the women yet. :o

Understand and agree totall (is that a first?) So the time from 55 to your present (nearly 59) does't rate a mention?

I have forgotten who you guys are playing this weekend.

CB

Winning Team Score Losing Team Score

Collingwood 12.23 (95) def. Essendon 11.13 (79)

Port Adelaide 14.12 (96) def. St Kilda 6.7 (43)

West Coast Eagles 14.15 (99) def. Richmond 11.10 (76)

Brisbane Lions 21.10 (136) def. Carlton 18.16 (124)

Sydney Swans 17.7 (109) def. Melbourne 8.12 (60)

Western Bulldogs 16.14 (110) def. Hawthorn 13.15 (93)

Kangaroos 18.10 (118) def. Geelong 15.12 (102)

Fremantle 7.16 (58) def. Adelaide 8.9 (57)

Dropped my average - got five winners, bloody Dockers :o

Fremantle's Jeff Farmer arrested last night, club gives him 8 matches and $5,000 fine BEFORE the trial.

Hmmm....... could be a pre recruitment threat anyway? He was under suspension I believe. Jeez, what a waste.

FREMANTLE has suspended forward Jeff Farmer until round 13 and fined him $5000 after the forward was involved in a nightclub incident.

Farmer was arrested and charged with common assault after allegedly punching a security guard at a Perth nightclub on Saturday night.

Continues: http://afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArti...px?newsId=42206

Agree - what a waste of such talent.

The troubles of WA continue - and Ben Cousins has returned from 5 weeks in the rehab clinic in California

CB

Collingwood 12.23 (95) def. Essendon 11.13 (79)

Port Adelaide 14.12 (96) def. St Kilda 6.7 (43)

West Coast Eagles 14.15 (99) def. Richmond 11.10 (76)

Brisbane Lions 21.10 (136) def. Carlton 18.16 (124)

Sydney Swans 17.7 (109) def. Melbourne 8.12 (60)

Western Bulldogs 16.14 (110) def. Hawthorn 13.15 (93)

Kangaroos 18.10 (118) def. Geelong 15.12 (102)

Fremantle 7.16 (58) def. Adelaide 8.9 (57)

Dropped my average - got five winners, bloody Dockers :o

Go with your head and not you're heart Crowie.

I'm running 14,709th out of 146,867 in the AFL tipping at the moment.

Edited by sceadugenga

Hectic weekend in South Australia this week, Port win by 5, Crows down by 1 point.

The mighty Sceadugenga picks 6 and powers to 6031st on the AFL tipping comp.

Edited by sceadugenga

Hectic weekend in South Australia this week, Port win by 5, Crows down by 1 point.

The mighty Sceadugenga picks 6 and powers to 6031st on the AFL tipping comp.

RESULTS:

St Kilda 18.17 (125) def. Carlton 11.16 (82)

Hawthorn 20.11 (131) def. Essendon 15.6 (96)

West Coast Eagles 10.17 (77) def. Western Bulldogs 9.8 (62)

Kangaroos 16.15 (111) def. Sydney Swans 14.11 (95)

Collingwood 11.20 (86) def. Adelaide 9.8 (62)

Brisbane Lions 17.18 (120) def. Fremantle 10.15 (75)

Port Adelaide 10.16 (76) def. Melbourne 9.17 (71)

Geelong 35.12 (222) def. Richmond 9.11 (65)

I got 5 correct, dropping 2 by picking the Crows over those blasted Collingwood Magpies and the Swans over the Roos, this was a big suprise (for me) result but both teams squandered a lot of set shots which should have been certainties. No team in the AFL can afford to kick so inaccurately. Huge game for the Cats - 35 Goals to the Tigers 9 is something that no losing side would ever want to see.

CB

I saw the Saint v Carlton Game which was great but haven't heard anything from the before game clash with Fraser Geirig. I checked the AFL site and there is nothing in the tribunal list for him which surprised me. I thought he may have been pinged after the game for punching another player - three times.

CB

Good luck with the Lions next week Crowy, jeez they're hard up there. We got Richmond at Footy Park so hopefully their poor form continues with a win and some % for us.

Interesting what you say about Geirig, but the Aussie papers have been saying that "ball players" will be protected by the umpires this season as opposed to "man players" eg taggers.

Apparently they have a list with guys like McLeod and Shane Burgoyne on it and these players will get a lot of leeway from the umpires, I would think Geirig will be on it as well. I never saw the incident or even read about it so maybe it looked a lot worse than it was.

Good luck with the Lions next week Crowy, jeez they're hard up there. We got Richmond at Footy Park so hopefully their poor form continues with a win and some % for us.

Interesting what you say about Geirig, but the Aussie papers have been saying that "ball players" will be protected by the umpires this season as opposed to "man players" eg taggers.

Apparently they have a list with guys like McLeod and Shane Burgoyne on it and these players will get a lot of leeway from the umpires, I would think Geirig will be on it as well. I never saw the incident or even read about it so maybe it looked a lot worse than it was.

I think I will have to tip with my head and say the Lions at the Gabba will beat the Crows - just not sure if I can put that down on the actual tip sheet <sigh>

I think you will hammer the tigers - your guys are playing good football with room for improvement. Richmond is looking at another horror year already.

I think that Geirhig is very capable of taking care of himself - he is a big man and had a very good game but I was surprised that he wasn't at least cited from the video for a warning. He was definitely not on his own and replying in kind to the Carlton F/B - having a mind blank on his name at the moment. However he most definitely hit twice to the face and once to the upper chest which is an automatic ticket to the tribunal.

Interesting what you are saying about the on ball players being protected or at least being given some leeway for indiscetions. In what way are they being given leeway 1) to make them or 2) if they receive them ie if they go in to get the ball and accidentally commit a technical foul such as an elbow or knee into the opponent will they be overlooked as long as it doesn't become a habit or is it they will be protected from other players and get more favourable treatment? I think the game of football needs to be remembered as a contact sport but I hate seeing players badly hurt. Injuries happen and are part of the game but anything that would cause permanent or long term injury must be minimised.

CB

Actually was still half a sleep when I wrote that, what I meant was the umpires will protect the ball players by penalizing taggers more heavily. Sorry bout that.

Interesting article in the Advertiser (Adelaide Now.com) about the Crows heading the frees against list. Even Craig says that there's a problem there that's not the umpires fault. They're giving away an average of 4 to 5 holding the man frees a match, now that's fairly cut and dried, you can't hold a player who hasn't got the ball. To me it's a sign of frustration from older slower players who can't catch some greased lightning kid when he has got the ball.

Actually was still half a sleep when I wrote that, what I meant was the umpires will protect the ball players by penalizing taggers more heavily. Sorry bout that.

Thanks for the clarification - this is a good move but leaves a lot of discretion to the umpire to manage. The teams then need to learn the "tolerance level" of each umpire. The usually smaller ball gatherers in the mid field take a beating from the larger guys as they try to extract the ball from the pack which is where this will help.

Interesting article in the Advertiser (Adelaide Now.com) about the Crows heading the frees against list. Even Craig says that there's a problem there that's not the umpires fault. They're giving away an average of 4 to 5 holding the man frees a match, now that's fairly cut and dried, you can't hold a player who hasn't got the ball. To me it's a sign of frustration from older slower players who can't catch some greased lightning kid when he has got the ball.

This is interesting because I mentioned it while watching the game - I think you are correct and is a change from the very close checking of the players before to where they are trying to grab hold of an opposition players jumper when they don't have the ball to give themself that small advantage. It is a habit older players seem to adopt and will hurt the team if not corrected.

Haven't seen AussieThaid pop into this forum yet - probably too ashamed to say anything after the bombers dismal performance of late :o

CB