Gas stove problem - why does it burn like this?

zappalot

On 7/25/2019 at 12:41 AM, fredob43 said:

Post 6 is the one you should look at it shows a small tap to adjust the air mixture. On Thai set ups you will more than likely find the air control is a small leaver behind the tap. Just turn it one way and then the other and you'll find it will come back to life. Leave poking things in the holes alone, unless you have a blockage in one of them.

They have more than likely got turned off/down when the thing was cleaned. That's if it ever was. Whatever they can be turned down very easily.

Tip you can see the valve if you lift the front of the hob up. Once found put it back to normal position light up and twiddle with the valve.  

It's never been cleaned!!

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 12:55 AM, KittenKong said:

No, it's just crap from pans that have boiled over that has blocked the holes. I used to have gas stoves and I know the problem well.

Just lift the tops off, give them a good soak and then clear the jets with any convenient poking thing like a bit of wire. Nothing to it.

I used a drill bit of the same size as the hole. Scrapes the dirt off better than a piece of wire.

Not always dirt though. A very expensive stove never burnt right for me, even when brand new.

8 hours ago, leither69 said:

It's never been cleaned!!

It may have never been cleaned, but the OP problem is the GAS AIR mixture.

Had it happen several time on my set up when the Wife cleans the top it sit's on and has mover the leaver that adjusts the mixture with a cloth.

She now knows how to fix it so I don't have to go near any of our 6 burners now.

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 5:03 AM, Crossy said:

Certainly a bad gas/air mixture (no air).

As noted above check the jet which will be near the control tap and the air inlet which should be near the jet. The mixer tube may be clogged too.

Taking the whole thing apart and cleaning will likely return it to operation.

Exactly, a yellow flame means insufficient air and in this case virtually no air at all. Your suggestion would certainly be a good starting point. If it was merely the holes on the burner blocked then what flame that was there would be blue, and roaring like a bunsen burner.

Personally I think there is a pressure problem, the gas comes through a small jet and needs velocity to suck air into the mix. The most obvious cause would be the bottle nearly empty but it could be a bad setup, a mismatch between gas and regulator or jet.

In the UK Butane is 38mbar and Propane is 50mbar but the connections are such the bottles and regulators cannot be interchanged but I have seen a similar problem when a Propane cooker has been installed on a Butane supply and from what I have seen anything seems to go in Thailand.

In a previous life I used to design gas cookers for caravans.

On 7/24/2019 at 7:41 PM, BritManToo said:

There's usually a gas/air mix 'shutter' on the pipe that comes from the gas level knob.

That will fix the problem.

Spot on, except in this case the gas pressure is just too low.

The gas/air mixture butterfly only needs adjustment if the gas type changes.

It's also very unlikely that the burners are clogged so badly as others have suggested.

Take the top element off the assembly and clean all of the crud off with rubbing alcohol or acetone.   Take a wire and clear all of the holes where gas is supposed to come out.    Give it some time to fully evaporate and dry before you try to run it again.    

2 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Spot on, except in this case the gas pressure is just too low.

The gas/air mixture butterfly only needs adjustment if the gas type changes.

It's also very unlikely that the burners are clogged so badly as others have suggested.

I had a double gas hob arrive in the post like the OP, one burner worked, the other was yellow.

On some of the designs it's easy to shift the shutters as you move them around.

Probably someone wiping it down knocked it out of adjustment.

But doesn't really matter what the cause, the shutters can probably fix it.

Edited by BritManToo

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I had a double gas hob arrive in the post like the OP, one burner worked, the other was yellow.

On some of the designs it's easy to shift the shutters as you move them around.

Probably someone wiping it down knocked it out of adjustment.

But doesn't really matter what the cause, the shutters can probably fix it.

Sure thing, I agree they are easy to adjust.

However, the shutters can only control the air/gas ratio. They can't compensate for low gas pressure. Closing the shutters will decrease the air to mix properly with the lowered gas flow, but the flames will still be weak, as in the OP pictures.  That's why I doubted that the shutters were the correct solution.

Can't hurt to experiment though.

since the stove is on our terrace where it gets wet during rain I guess that rust is the main problem.

It is not really dirty. I tried to clean everything a bit but not much result.

Why should the pressure be a problem? Have used several bottles of gas and never had a problem. When the gas was finished it just stopped working  instantly. It always worked until the last second

So finally I ordered a new gas stove for just 360 baht

20190727_130416.jpg

20190727_130439.jpg

20190727_130538.jpg

20190727_130818.jpg

On 7/26/2019 at 10:30 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I used a drill bit of the same size as the hole. Scrapes the dirt off better than a piece of wire.

Not always dirt though. A very expensive stove never burnt right for me, even when brand new.

Bad to use a drill bit even if it's the same size you could easily enlarge the jet not a good idea at all 

On 7/25/2019 at 5:03 AM, Crossy said:

Certainly a bad gas/air mixture (no air).

As noted above check the jet which will be near the control tap and the air inlet which should be near the jet. The mixer tube may be clogged too.

Taking the whole thing apart and cleaning will likely return it to operation.

Or just buy a new one.

One whole cooker/burner with S/S surround on S/S legs with a S/S shelf ready to go less regulator is like 700 Baht....

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 7:55 PM, KittenKong said:

No, it's just crap from pans that have boiled over that has blocked the holes. I used to have gas stoves and I know the problem well.

Just lift the tops off, give them a good soak and then clear the jets with any convenient poking thing like a bit of wire. Nothing to it.

Agreed. I do myself regularly.