Englishman requiring marriage advice

Steve1177

Hello TV

I have been married to a Thai lady happily for a couple years now (no children and none planned), we married in Thailand and this was formally registered with the Ampur and British embassy (fully legit), and no prenup.  I am expecting a large inheritance soon, and wonder what entitlement my Thai wife would have in case she suddenly decided she wanted to divorce - not expected, but I worry due to the sum involved.  I wonder what the Thai law (or likely outcome) would be, and if not satisfactory, could I insist on this being dealt with by a UK court as a worse case scenario?  How would a UK court likely side?  Can I protect this from becoming an issue, or any general information would be much appreciated.  We live in Thailand and intend for that to remain the case - my wife does not have right to reside in UK.  

As I say, I am not expecting anything bad to happen, but I am obviously curious on the topic. 

Thanks for any help

Steve  

Edited by Steve1177
Additional information
  • Haha 1

Keep your mouth shut, knowing it can be a curse especially here in Thailand. It is like winning the lottery, it is tough even for foreigners lack of education/maturity having too much too fast changes people even you.

My best advice if you already shot your mouth off to U-Turn and say it is small, if she is worth it, spend wisely and prepare for the future and not live for today and have a need to show off. It is somewhat of a test!

Live comfortable set up her future without her knowing everything in case something happens to you that is the best thing you can do!

OP< you clearly don't trust your wife for a couple of reasons?

Just don't tell her anything and continue life as usual. Open up a bank account where she doesn't have access and leave it with a good friend. 

If I would be so concerned that my wife would rip me off, I'd rather like a divorce than staying with her.

Don't wake up sleeping dogs. They might bite you in the ars_.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, inThailand said:

Can't a prenup be executed now?

Doing nothing does not seem like a wise move.

https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/thailand-prenuptial-agreement.php

Thailand prenuptial agreement or "Thai prenup" is a written contract created by two people before they are married. 

A prenuptial agreement, antenuptial agreement, or premarital agreement (PNA), commonly abbreviated as prenup, is a contract entered into prior to marriage, 

So to answer your question  No .   A prenup has to be done/registered  before the wedding. Since they are already married  no prenup can be done.

However as ThaidDown said in his post property/money gained by a spouse thru inheritaance is not considered as marital propertyin a divorice.

Section 1471. Sin Suan Tua consists of:

1. property belonging to either spouse before marriage;
  2. property for personal use, dress or ornament suitable for station in life, or tools necessary for carrying on the profession of either spouse;
  3. property acquired by either spouse during marriage through a will or gift;
  • Like 1