TM30 - conference held

A conference was held on 25 July, with many staff of international schools, body corporates, etc invited, for CW Immigration staff to advise re TM30 procedures for CW.

From what I can glean from an individual (from a BKK international school) who attended, a TM30 does now not apply when a foreigner just goes out of BKK to hotels, guesthouses in another province (this may be because the hotels may be losing business and up in arms). It does apply for individuals coming back into Thailand, such as for international trips, which for me is confusing, as surely a TM6 entry form would suffice (and Immigration must surely have access to these copies?)

Question: What about all the foreigners in BKK that have been fleeced by Immigration these last few months, paying BT800 and up because they took trips out of BKK?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Johnny Rotten said:

Question: What about all the foreigners in BKK that have been fleeced by Immigration these last few months, paying BT800 and up because they took trips out of BKK?

I think that was due to people not having any TM30 report on file for their address used for extensions,

They have been doing a catch up since they were not asking for them before. To me though they should of been waiving the fine in such cases.

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I think that was due to people not having any TM30 report on file for their address used for extensions,

They have been doing a catch up since they were not asking for them before. To me though they should of been waiving the fine in such cases.

money money money thats what its all about !!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnny Rotten said:

as surely a TM6 entry form would suffice

The TM6 is done by the foreigner, a TM30 is done by the landlord / owner / possessor (can of course be the same person, but in most cases it's not)

Edited by jackdd

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Again hats off to ubonjoe.

This is exactly what he flagged when CW started this whole tm30 check. 

Personally I do not know if I have a tm30 on record. I did one by mail 7 years ago but never had a reply, so I assume not. I plan to lodge tm30 for my last reenter Thailand prior to next extension.

3 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

A conference was held on 25 July, with many staff of international schools, body corporates, etc invited, for CW Immigration staff to advise re TM30 procedures for CW.

And to hell with everybody else, I suppose.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I had my TM30 fine wavered two times of different visits to IO down south as they were just introducing warnings at time (18 months ago now). The IO's genuinely seemed embarrassed at time about asking me for a fine that should be paid by landlord, before doing the procedure I went there for, a 90 day report.  I haven't been back since, partly because of the warnings, and expect fines to be the norm now.

17 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

It seems to me that the TM 30 is just rather redundant. 

Especially having to be done 24h after a TM6.. and every 90 days renewed with a TM47 !!! 

Same info each form, 3 systems.. Thailand 4.0 

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Nonsense

If it was about that they would be fining everybody the max fine of 2,000 baht instead of 800 baht or even fining people under section 37 for not reporting a change of address that has a mx fine of 5000 baht.

I can concur with that. Did my first ever TM30 in 28 years last week and did not get fined.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnny Rotten said:

surely a TM6 entry form would suffice

Every person who enters Thailand completes a TM6 but only a small percentage of those would need to complete their own TM30. Impossible for IO's to sift through all the TM6's to change relatively few TM30 details.

I can confirm for myself I will have to pay a Bt800 fine for my landlord not having submitted a TM30 for me when I returned from overseas this year (copies of passport were provided to the body corporate/him), but not for several recent visits I made to hotels in Pattaya and Hua Hin. I got an agent to enquire for me at CW Immigration this week. Not sure if these same rules apply away from CW.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Is this now official, "confirmed" news?  Staying in a hotel in another province (where the hotel will automatically file a TM30) doesn't mean you have to submit a new TM30 when you arrive back at your Bangkok residence?

You will never know for sure until you have tried yourself. But even then there is no guarantee that you can repeat the same experience again. 

The TM 6 is the visitor telling Immigration where he intends to stay, if he changes that place he is supposed to inform Immigration of the change within 24 hours of arrival at the new address. 

When I first came to Thailand I wrote Sheriton Hotel on the TM6 and checked in there but soon found cheaper and moved. I knew nothing of the Immigration Act.   As far as I know tourists are not burdened with the requirement to update the address given on the TM6 and it is difficult for me to see how they could be made to do it.  There is a form for this report but since it duplicates the TM30 report, it would seem to have been seen as redundant. 

The TM30 report can be seen as temporary, kept on file until is superseded by a new report.  However it is only one means of recording our address, Immigration can record reports that we make, 90 day reports, obtaining extensions, re-entry permits, driving licences, TM6 and perhaps others making the TM30 redundant as it used to be in the case of private accommodation. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Beggar said:

The last sentence describes the problem. Therefore every visitor who comes to Thailand should have to make a test to show that he understands the complicated and flexible requirements of the Immigration Act. If he passes the test he gets a visitor license that has to be renewed every 30 days or at every re-entry. Otherwise he should not be allowed to enter.

Somebody wants us, certainly short term visitors are tops and inviolable but those of us who are long term also contribute even if we avoid hotel bills or rent. Maybe some of us a more acceptable than some others and this is a very difficult thing to quantify. 

As to reducing the workload of Immigration, workload means jobs it is better to pay people who seem to be working than to pay them for doing nothing. 

3 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

Somebody wants us, certainly short term visitors are tops and inviolable but those of us who are long term also contribute even if we avoid hotel bills or rent. Maybe some of us a more acceptable than some others and this is a very difficult thing to quantify. 

As to reducing the workload of Immigration, workload means jobs it is better to pay people who seem to be working than to pay them for doing nothing. 

It gets more and more complicated. And to make it even more complicated some things seem to be flexible, depending on the officer, on the location and so on. Never forget when I wanted to apply for a re-entry permit in Jomtien and was sent back from the man at the front counter because I needed to show a flight ticket first. I waited until he was busy with someone else and then I asked a lady there for a number. The officer who gave me the re-entry permit without ticket just laughed when I told him the story.