bankbook check for 800,000 THB after 3 months

59 minutes ago, KhunKenAP said:

Perhaps my brain is befuddled, but I think the whole reason behind this whole 800/400K, requirement and the 90-day checking, was to stop people depositing 800K and then withdrawing after visa was issued. Most who did that, were working through Visa agents.

If immigration are not issue the 90-day check letters to those that use Visa companies, it makes no sense and implies corruption. Another case where "Good Guy" that follow the requirement, get punished by more paperwork and time, because of the "Bad Guys", who walk away laughing.

Am I wrong??????????????

No , not wrong.  But it is what it is. 

17 hours ago, scotinsiam said:

I was in Jomtien office this Friday to show that my 800k was still there exactly 90 days after issue - I needed the letter they gave me at the renewal of my extension, updated passbook & copy of first page and fund page and passport copies - visa/extension/face page/entry stamp/TM6.

I was given the same letter a few weeks ago at Jomtien.  The letter has a date for you to return and tells you what papers to  bring.  As always,  it is good to have copies of the relevant stamps in your passport. I have always found Jomtien to be nice and fair so if there is a valid reason  you need to come at a different date,  it should be no problem as long as the correct amount of money stayed in the bank. That statement is ONLY my best guess and I have no facts to confirm that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

I asked the question at Jomtien and they said just come in when you are back in Thailand. This is not a big deal to them at Jomtien.

Shame they are enforcing a local rule that is not required!

• Like 1

Question: Why does the Thai immigration need a letter from the bank when you also provide an updated account booklet that same day? Does not make any logical sense but just to inconvenience people or is there something I am missing.

5 minutes ago, Riker65 said:

Question: Why does the Thai immigration need a letter from the bank when you also provide an updated account booklet that same day? Does not make any logical sense but just to inconvenience people or is there something I am missing.

Bureaucrats covering their bureacratic backsides!

8 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

it seems form many posts, only Pattaya is requiring people return after 3 months to show their bank books.

could it be cause so many agents and expats living without enough money, are in Pattaya?

Yes.

Chonburi Imm last week wanted to see updated bank book,copy first and last pages and passport copys...job done No Letter from Bank required, did not even want to look at bank statement.

Edited by Jiggo
Update

15 hours ago, elviajero said:

Shame they are enforcing a local rule that is not required!

Well an unenforced rule is not a rule at all. It would also not be a required rule to be checked when applying for your next extension too, but the consensus seems to be it will be. I doubt we will hear what Jomtieem will do to someone who returns and doesn't have the money at the 3 month point. 

2 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

So if you lived in jomtien and planned to switch to 65k/month you couldn’t take out any funds until after the first 3 months even though you’d already started monthly transfers?

And probably at any immigration office when you went to apply for your next extension. I would say any office will want to see the 800k baht stayed in the bank for 3 months. The 400k baht after that is the big question.

It is not clear how immigration will handle the requirement to keep the money in the bank after the first 3 months. I suggest you contact your local office before taking the 800k or 400k baht out of the bank. I think if you showed you were transferring at least 65k baht they would waive the 400k baht requirement.

But remember you will need to show a full year of transfers when you apply for the next extension.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Chicken George said:

Most will check when you renew visa.. If monies are not correct you will be refused another extension. You will have to leave the country and start again..

Is that correct? I renewed my retirement visa at Sisaket in Dec-18 (renewal date 4-Jan-19). I showed 800,000 as normal. No-one at Immigration advised me that I should keep the money for any specified length of time, so how would I be expected to know of such a requirement?*

Ubon Joe's comment on the above would be useful - ie when was the requirement introduced and are we expected to know the latest immigration rules (when there is so much information and misinformation flying around on fora like these and when different IO offices seem to adopt different practices).

I'm not personally exposed, as I keep sufficient amounts on deposit here in Thailand anyway and can demonstrate compliance if called on to do so in late Dec-19 (for a UK expat, gaining better interest rates and avoiding losing money down the Brexit exchange rate drain nixes risk of Thai default in my personal assessment). Might be useful to know for others though whether your post, Chicken George, is scare-mongering or not. Clearly not scare-mongering for renewals of extensions that were previously renewed at some point in 2019, but I've no idea when that cut-off falls.

Edit* I was not asked to prove duration of deposit at my last 90 day report in Apr-19 either

Edited by SantiSuk

30 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

Is that correct? I renewed my retirement visa at Sisaket in Dec-18 (renewal date 4-Jan-19). I showed 800,000 as normal. No-one at Immigration advised me that I should keep the money for any specified length of time, so how would I be expected to know of such a requirement?*

The requirement is only for those that applied for their extension on or after March 1st of this year when the new rules went into effect.

The rules are not retroactive. They do apply to you since your extension was done prior to March 1st.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

So if you lived in jomtien and planned to switch to 65k/month you couldn’t take out any funds until after the first 3 months even though you’d already started monthly transfers?

If they are going to check you complied with the terms of the previous Retirement Extension based on money in the bank, you may be further tied to keeping the 400k for the rest of the year too. Who knows!

I applied for my extension of stay in early June (27th June expiry) in Surin Immigration. There was no mention of future proof of ฿ 800,000.00. However, the IO wished to see the original bank passbook and did appear to check how long the monies had been in the bank (the passbook covered the last three years).

For the 90 day report, I apply on-line so that is due next month. I shall see what happens.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 11:18 PM, ubonjoe said:

If it was transferred into a Thai bank account every month from abroad it would be accepted. You have to show proof that it was done by a international transfer.

The minimum amount is 65k baht every month. If only one of your pensions were equal to or greater than that amount you would only need to prove that one as coming in.

Thank you very much!  Currently residing in Florida, USA, I do not know how to open an international Thai bank account before I physically return to Thailand.  If I could open an account now I certainly would do so to have one source deposited therein forthwith.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:54 PM, elviajero said:

Most offices do not seem to be applying this extra check.

If enough aliens are asking immigration in different locations about this everyday, eventually imm offices will all be uniformly applying it.

Edited by userabcd

On 7/29/2019 at 9:15 AM, SantiSuk said:

I was not asked to prove duration of deposit at my last 90 day report in Apr-19 either

I sure you already know this--and are just making conversation--but you did your extension way before the rule was release...that they were going to require keeping 800k for 3 months after and 400k virtually forever.

25 minutes ago, userabcd said:

If enough aliens are asking immigration in different locations about this everyday, eventually imm offices will all be uniformly applying it.

Don't worry as soon the first agents office opens in their area they shall swift asking it ...