On 7/30/2019 at 2:00 PM, bkk6060 said:

Yes, you are wrong.

20k+ is the going rate for one who has nothing that includes the fee and multiple entry.

Your quotes are old..or you may be getting a fake stamp....

PS:  I just got off the phone with one of the more popular heavily advertised agencies and was quoted 30,000 b for everything I mentioned above.

So, people need to keep up to date as to what is currently priced.

You just don't seem to get the hang of this bkk.

You obviously think people are fantasising when they speak of Pattaya agents charging 12,500. They are not.

Realize this topic is about agents for extensions...

However with all the threads about TM30 esp change at CW, I'm surprised some thrifty agents haven't jumped on providing service to file tm30. Especially given so many reports of trouble with online reg and long wait for receipt if using mail. 

Maybe this is available already. Perhaps another ploy to make us use agents.

Think I'm paranoid today.

So, as usual, all the talking is about Pattaya agencies and nobody cares about giving some info on other cities, not even in PM.

The thread should be in the Pattaya section. It doesn't belong to the rest of Thai Visa.

I have been n Thailand 20 years and decided to use an agent for the first time.   Everything went smooth. New rules new complications.  I may try a different agent next time if possible since this agent does not communicate well in English but they did deliver what was promised.   I live in Bangkok used one of the ones promoting themselves on social media a few months back.   

One rip off agent charged me 32,000 thb for this service and I had the funds. he incidentally is probably the best known agent in Pattaya excluding Paul King. What it did do was make me deal with immigration myself which is not as convenient but a darned sight cheaper.

Edited by Puritan
I wanted notification of replies but couldn't find after going into edit.

7 hours ago, Puritan said:

One rip off agent charged me 32,000 thb for this service and I had the funds. he incidentally is probably the best known agent in Pattaya excluding Paul King. What it did do was make me deal with immigration myself which is not as convenient but a darned sight cheaper.

Wow, that is over the top if you actually had the money in the bank, seasoned, or 12 months income. But tell  us what 'service' you actually required. Did you have a Non-Imm-O already or an existing extension, or did he convert from a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry? Did the service include a re-entry permit, single or multiple? These have costs.... 

Just wondering why yours cost so much, as I think I know who you mean and thought his price was somewhat less. 

• Like 1

IMHO, those who are using agents because they don't have funds are falling into a trap.  They are breaking the law, and that will be extremely easy for the Thai authorities to prove at a later date, if they so wish.

This will come back and bite you in the future, mark my words.

• Like 2

IMHO, those who are using agents because they don't have funds are falling into a trap.  They are breaking the law, and that will be extremely easy for the Thai authorities to prove at a later date, if they so wish.

You are hoping so. They would need to take down the various Immigration offices and banks involved. How high does it go, probably very high, hence why BJ was sacked

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

For many expats who are in the position of insufficient funds (that includes me), there are legal alternatives ==> return to your home country or relocate to another country in south-east Asia with lower visa financial requirements.

Yes there are.   But they don't want to go home, or relocate.   They want to stay here, maybe they have families so they use agents.  The expat is happy, the agent is happy, the IO is happy.

And if people don't want to use agents then they don't have to. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Really, I have had it drilled into me, 'If I don't get your visa, I don't want your money!'

Are you dumb? If things go tits up and the 'Agent' gets busted for whatever reason then he'll sing like a canary to get a reduction in his/her punishment. Do you think that it will never happen. Where's the guarantees? The only guarantee is that he'll/she'll shop every one she's worked for. It's the Thai way.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, yodsak said:

They want to stay here, maybe they have families so they use agents.

I have 3 kids and that's why I play the legal card. I'm not prepared to use an agent and put myself in a position where I may end up depriving them of a father due to being kicked out, if caught.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

hence why BJ was sacked

Tell all. You'll be the first I know who can tell why he was fired.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

I would venture to say ... The paperwork filed looks as legitimate as any other paperwork.  So I doubt I/O would know who to look for based upon the paperwork.  If they decided to check at the next renewal phase... the word will quickly spread as to what is transpiring and those that chose to use agents will simply find the agents which have the clout with whomever in i/o that will be working with them. 

It's just like the bars ... too many people (officials, bankers, agents) making money for this to stop instantaneously    Things like this never stops instantly ... It changes in phases and from one person to another.   

Edited by TheThai

No, I'm certainly not hoping so.  I wouldn't want anyone to fall foul of the law, if there is a way of avoiding breaking that law. For many expats who are in the position of insufficient funds (that includes me), there are legal alternatives ==> return to your home country or relocate to another country in south-east Asia with lower visa financial requirements.

I can't meet the financial requirements, so I'm moving to live in a country where I can meet the requirements.  Others can do the same - breaking  or not breaking Thai law is your choice.
Crazy moving country because of that, better to go the agent route and if that eventually fails and you can't or don't want to meet the requirements then move

1 hour ago, TheThai said:

those that chose to use agents will simply find the agents which have the clout with whomever in i/o that will be working with them. 

As far as I'm aware the Immigration officers in Buriram cut out the middle man and do that themselves. Simple innit?

11 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Wow, that is over the top if you actually had the money in the bank, seasoned, or 12 months income. But tell  us what 'service' you actually required. Did you have a Non-Imm-O already or an existing extension, or did he convert from a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry? Did the service include a re-entry permit, single or multiple? These have costs.... 

Just wondering why yours cost so much, as I think I know who you mean and thought his price was somewhat less. 

It was for the 15 months with multiple re-entry. Yes it appears he has different prices for different people, depending on their perceived financial status. I do it myself now so every cloud has a silver lining.

5 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Are you dumb? If things go tits up and the 'Agent' gets busted for whatever reason then he'll sing like a canary to get a reduction in his/her punishment. Do you think that it will never happen. Where's the guarantees? The only guarantee is that he'll/she'll shop every one she's worked for. It's the Thai way.

No, I can be quite vocal. That agent has been there 26 years. All those that have used agents are on record at immigration, so I doubt they need any singing canaries... are you so dumb as to believe otherwise?

1 hour ago, Puritan said:

It was for the 15 months with multiple re-entry. Yes it appears he has different prices for different people, depending on their perceived financial status. I do it myself now so every cloud has a silver lining.

So you transitioned from an agent assisted Extension, to getting one yourself without issues? I am wondering if that will be possible after March 2020, particularly for those where the agent procured the money in the bank. (They  may need to show bank statement/ book confirming 800k/3m, 400k/7m, 800k/2m for that previous year). 

6 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:
6 hours ago, yodsak said:

They want to stay here, maybe they have families so they use agents.

I have 3 kids and that's why I play the legal card. I'm not prepared to use an agent and put myself in a position where I may end up depriving them of a father due to being kicked out, if caught.

I was referring to expats that don't have the funds.  

Do they relocate, take the family with them?

Leave the family here?   

Use an agent ?   

98% of people using agents don't have the funds. And never will, so they won't need to get out of the agency system.   

In Pattaya it's hard to find somebody that doesn't use an agent.   

6 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Any chance of some statistics on the numbers who have been thrown out because they used an agent?

4 minutes ago, yodsak said:

98% of people using agents don't have the funds. And never will, so they won't need to get out of the agency system.   

In Pattaya it's hard to find somebody that doesn't use an agent.   

Not sure where you get these numbers  from.  I say a larger component than 2% have the funds but don't want to deal with immigration themselves, or don't want to bring in the funds and deposit them in Thailand.

Easy easy to find someone in Pattaya that does not use an agent. Look in immigration.

Edited by jacko45k

Anyone used a visa agent in Cambodia? My current Extension of Stay on a retirement visa is expiring before I could renew it at the last minute due to failure to meet the 65,000 monthly transfer requirement for one month out of 12 last year. Turned down flat at Chaeng Wattana yesterday. Does the Royal Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh issue Non O-A visas?

15 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

Any chance of some statistics on the numbers who have been thrown out because they used an agent?

I never mentioned 'numbers'. I referred to myself as possibly being deported for immigration offences. Read my post again. 

On 7/28/2019 at 10:37 PM, Martyp said:

Have you considered getting an O-A visa before coming here? Just check for the list of documents on the website of the Thai Consulate in your country. Where are you from by-the-way?

USA. Planned on O-A but rules changed and now medical insurance needed. At 77 it is not available. My credit cards were, and are, my medical insurance.