Pro-EU Liberal Democrats win parliamentary seat from UK PM Johnson's Conservatives

webfact

2 hours ago, david555 said:

Time for the hardcore brexiteers here on the board to get worried  & double dose your anti depressive med's....????

Wonder if these are the meds that our Brexit Government need to stockpile due to supply issues when (if) No deal Brexit kicks in?

Edited by Basil B
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jip99 said:

Is a majority of 1 much  different to a majority of 2, for all practical purposes.

Another anti-democrat... the remoaners will love him....

Plaid Cymru 'committed to co-operating'

Plaid Cymru leader Adam Price - whose party did not stand in the Brecon and Radnorshire by-election - welcomed the Lib Dem victory.

“The single most important thing in this by-election was to put party politics aside, and deliver a pro-Remain MP for Brecon and Radnorshire..." he said, adding that another referendum should be held on Brexit.

“But if the prime minister is intent on a general election, he should know that Plaid Cymru and the other pro-Remain parties are committed to cooperating so that we beat Brexit once and for all.”

Balls. He meant: the single most important thing in this by-election was not to split the pro remain vote.

8 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As in, eyes closed so you don’t have to a truth you don’t like?!

Don’t worry Johnson will tell you what ever it is you wish to hear, in such respects he’s very accommodating.

Ah, Chomper, you know Johnson personally, do you?  "Accommodating", is he?

Lucky you, to have the ear of the Prime Minister.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

The wonders of first-past-the-post voting.

Indeed; which is why the LibDems are against it and want PR!

Even though, as Jo Swinson said on BBC Breakfast this morning, it would have meant them losing this by-election.

4 hours ago, JAG said:

Yes it is. 

I'm just suggesting that in a general election the result might be rather different.

Hmm...….

When myself and others made exactly that point after the European Parliament elections we were condemned by many Brexiteers here as poor losers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, evadgib said:

If he had any integrity he'd have offered himself for re election in his leave constituency years ago.

Not the first time that a Brexiteer has made such a suggestion.

I have asked before; what about Leave supporting MPs representing Remain constituencies; such as my MP Jonathon Lord? Should they also have resigned and put themselves up for re-election years ago?

No Brexiteer answered when previously asked; will you now do so?

Of course, all MPs, Leave and Remain, put themselves up for re-election in 2017!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Personally I think the Tories would be well advised under the current situation to join with the Brexit party and field only one candidate for the time being

Farage has already suggested that.

But as every single Brexiteer who has commented on the deal by Remain parties in this by-election has been highly critical of it, surely they must also be against such a deal between Farage and Boris?

Or will they support such a deal in yet another case of Brexiteer hypocrisy?

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

As in, eyes closed so you don’t have to a truth you don’t like?!

Don’t worry Johnson will tell you what ever it is you wish to hear, in such respects he’s very accommodating.

Bad guess again. Bravo.

20 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Not the first time that a Brexiteer has made such a suggestion.

I have asked before; what about Leave supporting MPs representing Remain constituencies; such as my MP Jonathon Lord? Should they also have resigned and put themselves up for re-election years ago?

No Brexiteer answered when previously asked; will you now do so?

Of course, all MPs, Leave and Remain, put themselves up for re-election in 2017!

A GE would be a good test for any MPs not properly representing their respective electorates and their manifestos. But when will that happen? Most of them will not risk their seats by resigning, whether leave or remain.

Edited by nauseus
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, nauseus said:

A GE would be a good test for any MPs not properly representing their respective electorates and their manifestos. But when will that happen? Most of them will not risk their seats by resigning, whether leave or remain.

It happened in 2017 when Leave constituencies had the opportunity to remove Remain MPs, and vice versa.

Did you miss it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

It happened in 2017 when Leave constituencies had the opportunity to remove Remain MPs, and vice versa.

Did you miss it?

Er...no. But things have changed rather since then, especially since this ridiculous withdrawal agreement was exposed, along with the declared intentions and/or party-switching of several MPs. Or did you miss it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Surely we should all object to the result as the liberals have no belief in democratic decisions as been proven in doing their utmost to prevent Brexit ever happening.

But then of course they are Brussels how high do you want us to jump party.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Atens4 said:

Brexit will get very costly sadly

I'm still waiting for the collapse of the British economy "within months" that Carney & Co promised us would be the inevitable result of a "Leave" vote in the referendum two years ago

It really is the time for Labour to get rid of Corbyn.  They have a real opportunity if they just get someone electable to lead the party.  I have never voted Labour in my life and I don't intend to any time soon but I would happily stand aside if it brings down this pathetic government.

Th LIb Dems winning a by-election is no big deal, it was always expected as the other parties run around like headless chickens.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Democracy allows people to change their mind. Not really surprising that No Deal Leavers are so against finding out what the people think!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It matters not one jot whether we have another referendum or not senior politicians have already said that if leave won again, they would still not honour the result. Does that sound like democracy to you?

• Confused 1