Pilots arrested at Glasgow Airport before boarding US flight

rooster59

Pilots arrested at Glasgow Airport before boarding US flight

_108180907_unitedflight.png

The pilots were arrested before boarding a scheduled flight to New York

Two United Airlines pilots have been arrested at Glasgow Airport for allegedly failing a breath test before boarding a flight to New York.

The men, aged 45 and 61, have not been charged but remain in custody and are expected to appear before Paisley Sheriff Court on Tuesday.

Police Scotland confirmed officers were called to the airport at 07:35 BST.

The men were arrested before boarding flight UA162.

Full story: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-49222120

BBC.jpg

-- © Copyright BBC 2019-08-04
  • Like 1

It would appear that United may have serious problems with their pilots drinking habits.  Apart from this time in 2017 two other United pilots where caught and sentenced to prison terms. Perhaps Glasgow airport are more conscientious in breath testing pilots but surely it can be no coincidence that the second time in two years 2 united pilots have been caught. Is this systematic of a lax checking system at other airports, or an issue specifically related to the American airline, United, or perhaps just a lack system by American airlines in general ? Who knows but sure as hell many potential customers may become very wary of flying with pilots who are intoxicated by the blood/alcohol standards set for airline pilots.

Edited by geoffbezoz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ThaiPauly said:

<deleted> That's so scary!!!

Now we are all going to be wondering who is flying our plane?

I’ve ALWAYS wondered (for a minute or two) who is piloting the plane when I fly.  

At least on ultra-long haul flights (over 12 hours long) the plane has I think at least three pilots, and often four pilots. 

Edited by Catoni
Addition

On long hall flights there will be one or two IROs (international relief Pilots) and United As well as other American flag carrier airlines have random drug test. You may only be tested once a year or 3 times in one month as the test is randomly done by computer; supposedly. 

I was at LAX several years ago after North West Pilots got busted for flying two legs drunk (over some legal limit).. LAX ramp control called N.W. 12345 several times for engine start/push back but got no answer... Then a voice came over the radio that said, " Ramp I do not think they can hear you as it looks like they have their blender going"!

I guess you had to be there to understand how funny that was..

Edited by 727Sky

22 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Arn't they now ?

Not sure... possibly in house by the airlines. 

The UK's CAA seems to be offloading the problem to operators to police.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/AOCDrugsandAlcoholPolicies(JUN2018).pdf

I know that like in this case the airport police can test pilots if the have suspicions, but what about drugs? 

11 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Not sure... possibly in house by the airlines. 

The UK's CAA seems to be offloading the problem to operators to police.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/AOCDrugsandAlcoholPolicies(JUN2018).pdf

I know that like in this case the airport police can test pilots if the have suspicions, but what about drugs? 

Maybe the expression "As high as kite " should be re-written to "As high as a plane" ????????

1 hour ago, alan grice said:

Ryan Air uses Guinness not Avgas.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Tut tut! Ryan Air operate turbojet powered aircraft fuelled with Aviation Turbine fuel AVTUR. The product known as AVGAS is Aviation Gasoline commonly used in piston powered aircraft. No matter, the VIP fleet uses Black Velvet.????

2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

It would appear that United may have serious problems with their pilots drinking habits.  Apart from this time in 2017 two other United pilots where caught and sentenced to prison terms. Perhaps Glasgow airport are more conscientious in breath testing pilots but surely it can be no coincidence that the second time in two years 2 united pilots have been caught. Is this systematic of a lax checking system at other airports, or an issue specifically related to the American airline, United, or perhaps just a lack system by American airlines in general ? Who knows but sure as hell many potential customers may become very wary of flying with pilots who are intoxicated by the blood/alcohol standards set for airline pilots.

So are breath or other blood alcohol tests conducted at every airport in the world?

The flying public has no idea how much stress flight crews are under. time zone changes, crappy marriages, loneliness, and then maybe they fly somewhere and are so dam tired that they have a few too many the night before they fly. Then.....

I can guarantee you that I would rather have these two? guys in the cockpit than the loser's who cannot even pass a flight check from a hundred other countries piloting my aircraft. From someone who knows.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, elcaro said:
2 hours ago, Catoni said:

I’ve ALWAYS wondered (for a minute or two) who is piloting the plane when I fly.  

That will be the computer systems.

Very boring job, big issue with pilots falling asleep, really scary when both do as has happened many times, on one occasion a member of cabin crew had to wake them up after over flying the destination.  

Just waiting for the next flight control addition, a "Seat Shaker"... 

Edited by Basil B