Psoriasis Treatment in Thailand

Jamman5v1

On 8/8/2019 at 8:22 PM, Jamman5v1 said:

I dont know what options are available in Thailand

I have recently been diagnosed psoriasis in Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok.

Actually, I have been diagnosed as affected by psoriasis more than 20 years ago, by coincidence, in the same hospital.

This time, I sought the help of an allergologist and a dermatologist for a severe skin allergy, I strongly suspected I had, without any clue of the cause. But both the dermatologist and the allergologist ignored my itchy allergy and focused instead on my psoriasis (which is, I guess, where the money to be made is).

The dermatologist offered me straight away to undergo a monoclonal treatment which, according to her, would have addressed all of my skin issues.

This is the quotation I received (paying out of my own pocket, i.e. without any insurance):

Scapho 300 mg / 2ml pre-filled injection pen: 24,000.00 THB

Nursing charges: 180.00 THB

Other Hospital charges: 485,00 THB

Physician Fee, Outpatient care: 1,500.00

TOTAL per DOSE: 26,175.00 THB (or approximately $790.00)

Recommended doses were: one on week 0, 1, 2, 3 and 4, followed by one each month afterwards.

Total cost in the first 4 weeks: 130,875,00 THB ($3,950.00). Monthly cost afterwards: $790.00.

Cost for the first year of treatment: $12,640.00.

Cost for any of the subsequent year: $9,480.00.

These costs exclude any additional laboratory test which may be required during the treatment.

As an alternative, she stated that UV-B therapy was also available, but she did not elaborate.

Since I positively knew my issue was an allergy, I changed hospital and, after a throughout investigation lasted 2 months, and a lot of additional expenses, we identified the cause as being a severe (and painful) allergy to clindamycin, which was promptly added to the list of antibiotics to which I am allergic.

And since my psoriasis is really mild, I keep on using Enstilar foam when needed to keep it at bay. Approximately $80.00 per bottle in any European pharmacy (paying out of my own pocket, but a physician prescription is required). I consume approximately 1 bottle per year. Unfortunately, it isn't yet available in Thailand.

I hope this post may be of help.

Edited by AndreasHG