Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

36 minutes ago, faraday said:

It's heaven on a plate!

Well, that photo makes me a little homesick.  But then I imagine the grease and fat clogging up my arteries like sh*t in a sewer, and the agony as I clutch my heart with a massive cardiac arrest and depart this world, and suddenly I don't feel hungry any more.

Sanemax, you've been back in the UK for 2 months.  Coincidentally, I've been 'back' in Luang Prabang (north Laos) for about the same time since I lived here in 2013.  So far, all is very good and I don't miss Thailand, (not that there was anything really bad there, apart from my mad ex #2...)

2 hours ago, seasia said:

I do not like most Thai food, I have tried even in supposedly good restaurants it has been poor.

Open to ideas on a " delicious" Thai dish though.

Nam Prik Ong as a replacement for Mexican chilli works for me.

Prik Geng Gai, Yellow chicken curry with potatoes

Graprow, mince with chillis

That's about it for edible Thai food as far as I'm concerned.

As for expensive western food, I've been having fried bacon, fried bread, and fried mushrooms for breakfast all last month, scored a kilo of bacon from Gekko for 295bht, works out at about 10bht a fry up, still got 250gm left in the freezer.

Bacon and cheese are approaching UK prices in Chiang Mai these days.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Went to Makro in Pattaya today, picked up some salmon, 377bht, fed 3 of us for dinner. Eat a lot of canned tuna. Old lady makes buffalo wings to die for with sticky rice. A lot of stir fry with seafood mainly. Bar-b-que fish from the market with all the salad and dipping sauce is a favorite. In a pinch canned sardines and rice isn't bad. Tom yum with seafood and a thai omelet or some stir fry. Not very exotic but I love my veggies and fish. The only beef I eat comes from Shabu occasionally.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

You must be eating in the prison. That's not what we eat where I live.

Of course not . So how about the mountain of boiled rice topped with a fried egg? I guess that national dish is not served where you live either? You must live in France

lmao!! get real buddy

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, Almer said:

I agree to much oil put in dishes that dont need oil, i agree that breakfast is  healthy in many ways,

beans (fiiber)

eggs   (Nutrition forget edwina)

bread(cereals good for you)

bacon and sausage (!)

what have i missed, 2 squirts of sauce  no harm there, so all in all a good start to the day.

Reported on the news today, Bacon is good for you,I wish they

would make their minds up,it might have been research from

the Pork Marketing Board ???? did not hear full report.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1
On 8/10/2019 at 1:57 AM, sanemax said:

First time back in the UK since 2010 .

First think that I noticed was that were lots of machines doing peoples jobs .

All the airport immigration officers gone and all done by machine  ,  put your passport in a slot and wait for the green light .

At the tube station, no human cashiers , just machines . Get on a bus , doesnt accept money , just cards .

Yeah I really dont like it, bluddy  things are everywhere even cheapo shops  like poundland ( I was only browsing honest) have about 10 "self  service" or what i call "lack of  service"  tills and  2 "people  tills.

Ive stopped  using mobile  phones and Im not really a techno phobe I just see it  now as plain effin intrusive, I even broke down in my car when I was there ( gear linkage  snapped) but just walked home, nothing so much of an emergency all the "right now" must have it  world.

Im kind  of surprised myself at my own reactions now  to the intrusion of technology.

When tinternet first came out it was great, you could spend hours learning, now its 99% total <deleted>.

It was also very clean when I was there but cold except for 2  days when it went up to 29c but hell the rest of the time it was  dull and even MORE  dull than a  dull thing with dull written on it.

My main reason to leave was the endless depressive 6 months of  dull followed by 3  months of dull and rain and 2.5  months of  dull and cold then 1-2 days of  sun when everything was  so packed I didnt  want to go out. Coke can at £1.10 jesus  cwist and not even  those old style 330ml cans

The driving mindset is grannified at least, timid, pedestrian plain boring way over the top safety polar  opposite to Thailand, 45mph max out in the country seems to be the norm even though its a 60mph  zone....then in some areas 20mph limits,,,may as  well bluddy walk, Im probably  seen as a  racing lunatic when exceeding 59mph.

Roads ive driven down for years now reduced to a  mass of luminous blinding signs  warning me to do 45mph round a  bend  when ive gone round them at 70+ before signs went it and these are  LONG sweeping motorway bends, even passed my Dad doing 80 on em at 110mph they were that gentle....now 45mph.

• Like 2
On 8/10/2019 at 10:45 AM, sanemax said:

Had some things to sort out back here and planned to stay for a few weeks, now I'm Back in the UK, I dont want to go back to Thailand 

Although I am not overkeen on Thailand, Im even less  keen on the UK, the main reason would be the weather, all that keeps me  in Thailand is the Wife

• Like 1
17 hours ago, OJAS said:

So how much success have YOU had in finding "true love" in Blighty, then?!!

I am quite happy being single and Idont want or need a "TRue love"
Having  a Thai gf for years has put me right off relationships .

You both end up behaving like immature teenagers .

I am now quite happy being single and no need to have a female to hold my hand , 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, madmen said:

70% high carb boiled white rice and slivers of poor quality meat and gristle with a bonus scoop of sugar and msg fried in recycled Palm oil

let's see how you feel when your diabetes kicks in

Its cheap for good reason, avoid!!

Yep.........and some Thai food options have a remarkable amount of fat and salt - unfortunately, this includes the popular Pad Thai.

A typical chicken Pad Thai can pack up to 40g of fat, a whopping 2600mg of sodium and up to 20g sugar.

So you are better off eating a Big Mac!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I am now quite happy being single and no need to have a female to hold my hand , 

And therein lies the problem; she's holding your hand??? You need to get with the program and give Rosey Palms a break. ????

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

And therein lies the problem; she's holding your hand??? You need to get with the program and give Rosey Palms a break. ????

Is"Rosey palms "slang for masturbation ?
Its sometimes difficult to understand what people are saying , when they use local slang words

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Is"Rosey palms "slang for masturbation ?
Its sometimes difficult to understand what people are saying , when they use local slang words

It is. Rosey to describe the color after...excessive fun, palms...well, that part should be obvious now. ????

2 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Where do you come up with such bull? That's not what I eat, I'm much more discrete.  OMG stating a Big Mac is better for you than Pad Thai, is insanity. Just tell they no salt (or MSG) and/or sugar. Delicious!

Never heard of anyone getting poisoned by a BigMac, the other you mentioned is a different story...

Your Pad Thai ain't a Pad Thai without stuff you don't want in it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/10/2019 at 1:57 AM,  sanemax said: 

Confectionery is expensive , mars bars , twix , can of coke , crisps , a pound each .

On 8/10/2019 at 6:55 AM, KittenKong said:

You are buying them in the wrong shop. All those items are much cheaper in the UK than they are here.

Best value for money is a packet of Penguin biscuits for £1.00 at Tesco’s. Occasionally, for a short time, they are priced @£1.47, but most times at Tesco’s, it’s £1.00 per pack.

https://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/record/f647d45c-d76a-4e82-97d1-3ff58e4039d0

In the advert, it’s only a pack of 6, but these days you get 8 in a pack. Unbelievable!

What’s more, they’re the still same size after nearly 50 years as in that 1976 advert. And recipe is the same too! Can you believe that?!  ... unlike Mars and Yorkie bars, which have really shrunk in size over the same period. They’re girlie, nibble bars now; nothing man size about them when you want ‘some scoff’.

I buy up loads of Penguin packs, as they fit flat in my suitcase. When I return to Thailand, I hand them out to places I frequent a lot e.g. small Thai restaurants and coffee shops. Thais absolutely love them. Definitely, ‘Aroi maak maak’ with them.

Edited by silver sea
12 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I wasn't really referring to what YOU eat, but that Pad Thai is not as healthy as some people seem to think, and throwing in the "Big Mac" reference was from an article I read.

It is well-known that Thai food is heavy on salt, fat and sugar and the reference that I posted is from a published article comparing foods, under the heading of, "Six 'healthy' foods as bad or worse for you than a Big Mac".

And Thai food is just not the same without MSG/salt and sugar and unless you cook it yourself I doubt whether the cook will heed your request, because they know no better!

Plus a BigMac is way more hygienic, the staff are taught that stuff...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/10/2019 at 10:46 AM, bert bloggs said:

I was talking to a friend who lives in my old home town ,when i went there 40 years ago it was a nice working class place ,with factories and a small Muslim community ,now ,no factories ,a Mosque that dominates the landscape ,he reckoned half the street where it was has been demolished as its now twice the size ,with a giant car park .

violence is now just a way of life and you dare not go to certain areas at night .

he just wishes he could leave its no longer Britain ,but looks like another country ,he sent me a picture of my old house , i could not believe the number of bins in the street ,he reckons that they are only collected every two weeks and each house has three .

luckily my family live in the countryside ,where little has changed ,

Sad.

On 9/30/2019 at 9:39 PM, BritManToo said:

Unless their house is cheaper, the price of nothing else matters.

Sanemax is living with his mom for 20 quid a week, there's no other accommodation that cheap in the world.

Nearly all the guys that went home are living with mommy, so their price comparisons are all BS.

Clothing cheap in the UK,

Who cares, all I need is a few T-shirts, some shorts and a pair of flip-flops, they'll last five years.

No, the price comparisons are not "BS" , those prices just dont apply to you, although that doesnt make them "BS" , just non applicable to you .

Some other people own their own property and thus have no rent to pay ,  others can stay with friends and family for free .

Some people are also paying 20-50 Baht a month to rent in Thailand and as they wouldnt be paying that anymore, it wouldnt be costing them that much more to live in the UK .

My price comparisons are not "BS" , they just dont apply to you 

• Like 1
  • Confused 4