Back in the UK after 10 years in Thailand

5 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I always understood that gravy was 'invented' to cover up the smell and taste of the rotting meat that it covered, sort of like perfume was invented to cover up the stink of unwashed bodies.

No , gravey came from the juices of cooking meat

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its the UK climate that is forcing him to post more. He will only go outside for getting his groceries and swiftly run back to his warm apartment . Doing winters in the UK is like being in a prison. Don’t worry Max the sun will shine again in about 3 more months!

Yeah for a day or so

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, bannork said:

I must admit I do miss a Sunday roast. Roast beef, Yorkshire puddings, brussel sprouts (to hell with Brexit), roasted parsnips, roast potatoes, mustard, apple sauce, and lots of juicy gravy.  Ahhhhh...........

Depending where you live there are plenty of places that now sell a good roast. I had one recently in Udon as good as anything I’ve had in the U.K. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Brick House. Soi Sampan

I was there for Xmas dinner. Superb. He does a Sunday Roast with any of the main meats or all if you’re feeling hungry. 

Had breakfast there once, Eggs Benedict...pretty darned good and coffee was in a large mug, not one of those dainty, 2 sips of coffee cup.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, amykat said:

And what about all of us??  Thailand is always a lonely place even when you have “friends” ....can’t even use that word without smirking and passing around money for the most part???

Why are you guys being so mean to Sanemax ....Crabs in a bucket comes to mind??

I haven't got Crabs - Lice maybe, but no Crabs!! ????

It's just banter with 'max, at least it is with me.

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, sanemax said:

I am quite liking the cold/colder weather (ignoring the fact that parts of Thailand has been colder than the UK recently) . I have the ability to wear long trousers a coat and a wolly hat and thus dont get cold .

Europeans progressed quicker because we needed to keep warm in the colder weather .

If you need the sun to keep you warm , then you are part of the Caucasian regression .

The sun kept the Asians warm , Europeans needed to progress to keep warm in the winter time 

Yeah well and you’re timing is excellent since you just escaped the Wuhan virus and the smog pollution. ????

• Like 1
6 hours ago, sanemax said:

And you are sat there reading my posts ........because ..........?

Because.....I feel sorry for you,you left Thailand,and are now roaming

the Supermarkets looking for end of date food,and cheap booze to

take back to your room to drink by yourself.

Regards Worgeordie

• Haha 2
33 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Because.....I feel sorry for you,you left Thailand,and are now roaming

the Supermarkets looking for end of date food,and cheap booze to

take back to your room to drink by yourself.

Regards Worgeordie

I do that here......????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Anyone who doesn't look for 'end of date' deals is a fool IMHO.

I'm always in Rimping eyeing the 'buy one get one free' offers, and browsing for 1/2 price milk and pork.

I choose many of my holiday destinations because of cheap flights and cheap beer.

Seems daft not to.

Sure ,I look for bargains too, but 1/2 price Milk and Pork ,there must be a reason

for it to be discounted so much,as perishables I would not be buying them ,

and cheap beer is not on my list when choosing a holiday,more important

things to consider.

Regards Worgeordie

28 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Sure ,I look for bargains too, but 1/2 price Milk and Pork ,there must be a reason

for it to be discounted so much,as perishables I would not be buying them ,

People are too sensitive about sell by dates.

If the colour of the meat is good and it doesn't smell bad, it's good to eat.

Thai milk seems to last forever, probably because it's made from powdered milk.

• Confused 1
17 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Depending where you live there are plenty of places that now sell a good roast. I had one recently in Udon as good as anything I’ve had in the U.K. 

You'll get a better selection of Sunday Roasts in Pattaya's Soi Bhukaow than you will in any British High Street and for a third of the price or even less.

Cheap Charlies Restaurant does a roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings for 99 baht and it's a struggle to eat it all.

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I bought a dodgy chicken pie out of Friendship one time and I spent two days on the pan with it coming out of both ends.

And it was well before its sell by date. You never know what they dump in the pies, never again.

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

You'll get a better selection of Sunday Roasts in Pattaya's Soi Bhukaow than you will in any British High Street and for a third of the price or even less.

Cheap Charlies Restaurant does a roast chicken dinner with all the trimmings for 99 baht and it's a struggle to eat it all.

Is it that bad...........????.......................????

• Confused 1
10 hours ago, sanemax said:

I am quite liking the cold/colder weather (ignoring the fact that parts of Thailand has been colder than the UK recently) . I have the ability to wear long trousers a coat and a wolly hat and thus dont get cold.

wearing real clothing is one thing i miss since being here.

flip flops, tee shirts and dirty feet are not for me, but i do get buy with smart shorts, a collared shirt and sneakers with socks, just look really dressed up most of the time.

people look really dirty here to me, esp the ones out and about in flip flops with dirty feet. never got used to it.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Why are they selling the pork and milk at half price if its

good ?, OK out of date canned food,biscuits,stuff like that

no problem for me,but would not take the risk buying and

eating 1/2 price Meat,fish,milk,but that's just me.

Bon appetit, regards Worgeordie 

41 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

I bought a dodgy chicken pie out of Friendship one time and I spent two days on the pan with it coming out of both ends.

And it was well before its sell by date. You never know what they dump in the pies, never again.

sounds like salmonella - bad luck with the pie

Half price milk is a none starter here. Its usually within a day or 2 of use by date.   Powered milk is the go.  Makes 8L for 85baht.  Since the Aussie dollar landed in the toilet we have been cutting back.  The dogs and I  have to  endure pork shoulder meat...which isn't cheap now.  We cut the salami thinner....its expensive but low grade quality from Makro.  Aro brand corn flakes and oats, more home grown vegies.....I save about 2 to 2.5baht a month. Making my own chocolate too! 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, fhickson said:

wearing real clothing is one thing i miss since being here.

flip flops, tee shirts and dirty feet are not for me, but i do get buy with smart shorts, a collared shirt and sneakers with socks, just look really dressed up most of the time.

people look really dirty here to me, esp the ones out and about in flip flops with dirty feet. never got used to it.

It's so bloody cold in Chiang Mai at the moment I'm wearing jeans, shoes, heavy jacket and gloves.

Brrrrrrrr ..........

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1