Strong Baht - Notice the Cheaper Prices - Me Neither

Thomas J

46 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

My wife'a mother makes Whiskey She imports her the flavorings Jack Danial and Johnnie Walker.   Been doing it for 50 years.  Not bad.

....and your posts suggest that you have been on it!  ????

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:04 PM, Kwasaki said:

Fuel cheap, lecky cheap, gas cheap, food cheap, beer cheap what more you want. ????

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:46 PM, Naam said:

income tax, property tax, hot chillies, coconuts, durian "cheap3".

Did you read the first posting? It´s about IMPORTED stuff. Not really difficult to understand.

9 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

At least one "Expat " shop here in Pattaya is reducing its imported goods prices based on exchange rates, but agree they are probably a minority. Not sure where some of the posters buy their beer here , but based on a recent visit to the UK beer is definitely cheaper here. Also seen many of the enlightened bar owners putting on special happy hour local beer prices, as low as Thb 40 a bottle. The old protocol formulae of putting up prices to compensate for lack of volume sales doesn't work anymore. It's too old school.

Still possible to buy a pint in the north of England at less than £2.00. That’s approv 78baht. Most places about £3.00 = 117 bht. Where in Thailand can you find these prices in a Thai bar.

Yesterday bought small Leo in a Chines supermarket at 99p= 37baht a bottle.

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Food and beer far cheaper in the UK. When one factors in the exchange rate , Thailand is no bargain for visitors although hotels reman a relatively a good deal.

OK answer this out of interest, what food, breakfast, lunch & Eve meal cheaper in UK no way, large bottle of Chang beer 48 baht 620ml what can you in UK in a bottle for £1.26.   

1 hour ago, seasia said:

beer cheap ?

I am in Italy currently and the beer here is about half the price of Thailand. Better also.

Thailand is expensive for beer. I could mention wine prices.

Quality food is cheaper here.

Don't just spout expand the cost so how much and what is it 48 bht for 620ml of lager beer Thailand, 400 baht for g/h.

So you don't think I've not been in Italy get real will ya.  

1 hour ago, CNXexpat said:

Did you read the first posting? It´s about IMPORTED stuff. Not really difficult to understand.

You have a problem with my post, report it ok but are you ganna answer the post question or just post about what other posters just wanna say about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

You have a problem with my post, report it ok but are you ganna answer the post question or just post about what other posters just wanna say about it.

Lol. You didn´t answered the question, so why should I? But opposite you I was able to understand the question ????

• Haha 1

Thats quite a broad comment and not accurate. Anyone who earns and has had money in Thailand for some time I agree. But anyone who relies on income from abroad, especially the UK, it is totally wrong.

Most sensible folks don’t come here if they’re relying on anything but themselves.[emoji572]️

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

36 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

OK answer this out of interest, what food, breakfast, lunch & Eve meal cheaper in UK no way, large bottle of Chang beer 48 baht 620ml what can you in UK in a bottle for £1.26.   

I also didn't believe it, until another poster pointed me to the Asda pricelist

By the way a large Chang is 52 Baht at Big C, and that is 1.42GBP at current exchange rate.

image.png.8dd3ec674898cbbf2cd479fd08a1c4d0.png

image.png.af60fba6f01cf6456fbec1ebd9f68365.png

image.png.4cb06e7375f9befa4346a4bd636f5fc8.png

image.png.b71325c6c32cbe6ed625e62568def46f.png

And how much are these for 20 bottles in Thailand?

image.png.6dee1fca614394e6e9f82dfd04fdb9b9.png

Or 15 cans of 440ml Heineken?

image.png.c80a51913315c3946aa3a0c9ab3d962b.png

Edited by ThePioneer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

I live in a  new 2br condo with infinity pool/gym for less then $600 usd a month, all my produce and meat/seafood is far less then the USA, I take a bus for less then 50 cents, fly anywhere in country for less then 50 bucks, I just had a plate of pad thai gai for $1.30 usd. My iced latte large - runs me $1.14, even KFC and McDonalds is cheaper here...and buying from Lazada they seem to charge me about a buck for shipping...Ive bought tons of stuff cheaper then amazon.... It's as cheap as can be unless Im buying peanut butter or vacuum packed NZ or AUS beef, and even that is reasonable. Are we both in the same Thailand? I save a fortune living here!

Why not post the prices in baht so the rest of us know what you're talking about. We're not all Americans here you know.

36 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

I also didn't believe it, until another poster pointed me to the Asda pricelist

By the way a large Chang is 52 Baht at Big C, and that is 1.42GBP at current exchange rate.

image.png.8dd3ec674898cbbf2cd479fd08a1c4d0.png

image.png.af60fba6f01cf6456fbec1ebd9f68365.png

image.png.4cb06e7375f9befa4346a4bd636f5fc8.png

image.png.b71325c6c32cbe6ed625e62568def46f.png

And how much are these for 20 bottles in Thailand?

image.png.6dee1fca614394e6e9f82dfd04fdb9b9.png

Or 15 cans of 440ml Heineken?

image.png.c80a51913315c3946aa3a0c9ab3d962b.png

Ma & Pops shop Chang 50 baht large bottle buy 1 case 48 baht or so buy 10 case another story and as I keep trying to get through to people on TV ear my house council tax is 8 baht per year in Thailand and I bought the 3 bed house 2 bathrooms here for probably less than what's needed for a down deposit in the UK.

Watford where lived 15 years ago council house tax was a crazy amount. have know idea what it would be now but it ain't no where near 20 pence a year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Watford where lived 15 years ago council house tax was a crazy amount. have know idea what it would be now but it ain't no where near 20 pence a year.

I lived in Bovingdon, not a million miles away from Watford, the Council Tax on my home is £2,173 per year, Council Tax is certainly something to take into account if considering relocating. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Thomas J said:
19 hours ago, Naam said:

Fuel cheap, lecky cheap, gas cheap, food cheap, beer cheap what more you want

Naam, you miss the point.  First off cheap compared to what?  I am from the USA and I can tell you gas, food, beer, wine, etc are noticeably more expensive in Thailand. 

for the record... this is Britman's quote not mine but i agree with it. moreover in my case (being a German and not a slave of the IRS) i very much enjoy Thai tax laws which enables me to cover all our living expenses in Thailand with the € 73,000 (THB 2.5 million) the greedy German taxman does not claw out of my pockets.

based on this fact any price increases or weakening exchange rates of the currencies i am invested is totally irrelevant. by the way... we have lived 15 years (1989 till 2004) in the U.S. and were according to US tax laws "US Persons" liable to pay income tax which was (compared to German tax rates and a wee bit "avoidance") quite fair. but the aftermath treatment of foreigners due to 9/11 forced us out. arriving from abroad is was with a few exceptions "who are you, what are you, why are you? what is the purpose of your visit? a home in Florida does not entitle you to enter the U.S. you pay taxes and employ a U.S. Citizen? not interested! we are the INS not the IRS"

after all these years my wife is still craving for a life in the U.S. she would start today planning the move if we saw a possibility. but there's none and the side effects would be that our banks would treat us like outcasts or lepers.

summary: I❤️???????? (my wife doesn't)

Second, the point is that the prices SHOULD BE FALLING.  If it was a weak THB the stores would be raising prices to compensate for the higher costs.  Conversely, goods being brought into Thailand are NOW COSTING LESS so someone not the customer is benefiting from the strong THB. 

i fully agree with you.

Edited by Naam
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, CNXexpat said:
On 8/10/2019 at 8:46 PM, Naam said:

income tax, property tax, hot chillies, coconuts, durian "cheap3".

no income tax cancels out any price increases for imported stuff. does of course not apply to poor expats. not really difficult to understand.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mansinthe said:

Cheese is crazy.. looking at 5~6€ for 150g of something for a sandwich.

While i get the same kind of cheese in Germany for less than 3€ but for a 400g box. ????

I made a 12 serving lasagna a few weeks back and it cost me about $75USD or 2300 baht with good quality cheese and meats.  Great tasting but still cost about 190 baht or $6.20 USD a serving.  

16 hours ago, sirineou said:

Perhaps things have not got any cheaper but the strong baht has prevented them from becoming more expensive.

The Bank of Thailand (BOT) has forecast 2019 headline inflation of 1.0% 

sirineou you must have worked for the Obama administration.  Yes prices doubled under Obamacare but they would have been even worse without it.  B.S.  When currencies are strong, prices of imported products are cheaper.  They should fall in the stores but either the importer or retailer is keeping the windfall. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Naam said:

no income tax cancels out any price increases for imported stuff. does of course not apply to poor expats. not really difficult to understand.

Naam no you either did not read, or you do not understand.  Irrespective of any other items here in Thailand that are inexpensive, when the THB is strong the price of imported products costs the importer less and hence prices should fall.  That has nothing to do with taxes, or domestically produced products. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

Naam no you either did not read, or you do not understand.  Irrespective of any other items here in Thailand that are inexpensive, when the THB is strong the price of imported products costs the importer less and hence prices should fall.  That has nothing to do with taxes, or domestically produced products. 

it's you who doesn't understand Thailand mate were 2+2 might equal 7.5 or in some cases 2.1 :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The solution to you problem is Stop buying over priced cheese and what ever you crave from home. Just because the baht is strong does not mean the end consumer will reap any benefits unless you stop buy over priced stuff. Jeeze you people want to argue about everything.

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Thais will never drop price eg they would rather leave a condo empty than give a good rental discount

The only way is up

Edited by madmen
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Thomas J said:

sirineou you must have worked for the Obama administration.  Yes prices doubled under Obamacare but they would have been even worse without it.  B.S.  When currencies are strong, prices of imported products are cheaper.  They should fall in the stores but either the importer or retailer is keeping the windfall. 

Healthcare in the US is imported? 

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Ma & Pops shop Chang 50 baht large bottle buy 1 case 48 baht or so buy 10 case another story and as I keep trying to get through to people on TV ear my house council tax is 8 baht per year in Thailand and I bought the 3 bed house 2 bathrooms here for probably less than what's needed for a down deposit in the UK.

You keep going on about it being cheaper in Thailand. I can assure you its not. Of course I agree with you about council tax and buying a house. I am in the lucky position to own a house outright in England and via my wife in Thailand. I am here now in England during my regular 4 month summer break. In some ways I am dreading going back to Thailand because of the cost of things now because of the exchange rate. I can tell you from first hand experience again because of the exchange rate that England is much cheaper than Thailand. Beer as already shown and there are loads of deals even better than that. Lidl and Aldi have shaken up the market, their products being of a low quality is a myth. You really must try and accept the facts from people who know rather from your narrow view of something you know nothing about. Maybe you live in rural Thailand and hav'nt been back to the UK in years. Then that may explain your viewpoint.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jimn said:

You keep going on about it being cheaper in Thailand. I can assure you its not. Of course I agree with you about council tax and buying a house. I am in the lucky position to own a house outright in England and via my wife in Thailand. I am here now in England during my regular 4 month summer break. In some ways I am dreading going back to Thailand because of the cost of things now because of the exchange rate. I can tell you from first hand experience again because of the exchange rate that England is much cheaper than Thailand. Beer as already shown and there are loads of deals even better than that. Lidl and Aldi have shaken up the market, their products being of a low quality is a myth. You really must try and accept the facts from people who know rather from your narrow view of something you know nothing about. Maybe you live in rural Thailand and hav'nt been back to the UK in years. Then that may explain your viewpoint.

I keep going on about how I see it, you see it different to me obviously because my situation is not the same as yours.

I sold everything in Uk paying council tax would cancel my advantages of being in Thailand,  I can live well here on my pension even with exchange rate as it is I would not be able to do that UK.

You talk of beer in supermarkets, where have the pubs gone the Uk has become a sad place IMO. 

I don't have to accept anything people like you say, you say it's something I know nothing about, you are joking, my family & friends visit me every year and they have no praise for prices in UK.

I live in Sukhothai just like many places in Thailand there are expensive places and very cheap places, you don't seem to know much about living in Thailand.

I never want to go back England thats why ended up here thankfully.

Have good day.

25 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:
On 8/12/2019 at 12:55 PM, Naam said:

it's you who doesn't understand Thailand mate were 2+2 might equal 7.5 or in some cases 2.1 :smile:

Naan perhaps you need to do some reading.  You obviously have no clue on the impact of strong versus a weak currency. 

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/3457/currency/problems-of-a-strong-currency/

• Haha 1