Strong Baht - Notice the Cheaper Prices - Me Neither

Thomas J

2 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

I would argue that currency diiferential is only one part of what causes inflationary pressure reflected in consumer prices, and it works the same way all over the world. I pay less for wholesale bicycles does not mean I will sell them for a lower price. I sell them for less ONLY if my sales are slowing down, which forces me to lower prices, and evidently there isn't a sufficient slowing of Thai economy to show up in prices, or in any event, its hard to see one or two points perhaps.

Competition lowers prices and raises quality. That's the theory.

• Haha 1

Have you every noticed prices going down here? The only thing that seems to fluctuate here is the price of gas. And even that does not ever go down proportionately with the price of crude. And the amount of the fines that the cops ask me for. I always tell them a ridiculously low amount, that I am willing to give them, and end up giving them such a hard time, that they give in eventually. 

For the most part, inflation seems to be the way of the world. I see it everywhere I go. It is what it is. 

16 hours ago, thaitero said:

Thai way and western way are different..????

Not really , remember when the euro came , all prices went up + the euro was worth dubbel of what we had before so overpaying everything . Its that we got used to it now but i still think thats the biggest bulls... ever happened . Its only the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer . 

At least one "Expat " shop here in Pattaya is reducing its imported goods prices based on exchange rates, but agree they are probably a minority. Not sure where some of the posters buy their beer here , but based on a recent visit to the UK beer is definitely cheaper here. Also seen many of the enlightened bar owners putting on special happy hour local beer prices, as low as Thb 40 a bottle. The old protocol formulae of putting up prices to compensate for lack of volume sales doesn't work anymore. It's too old school.

2 hours ago, MartinKal said:

Competition lowers prices and raises quality. That's the theory

One of the factors of many that drive price (and quality, if we want to talk about that.) in an economy. Thats for sure. Could even force me to lower the price of new cutting edge electric-bicycles in an otherwise raging economy....but all else is never equal...but anyhow Thai Central Bank cut  qtr point the other day so hey Expats...things are looking up.

https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/3457/currency/problems-of-a-strong-currency/

Irrespective of any other factor such as competition, quality, demand etc. 

If a country has a strong currency, the products imported cost less, the products it sells overseas cost more. 

Since prices of products like imported groceries, beer, wine, cheese etc are not falling but in some cases rising it means that whoever is doing the importing is reaping the benefits of the lower import cost and it is not being passed on to the customer.  Whether that is the importer who is keeping the extra profit or the retailer that can not be determined.  But one way or another the customers in Thai are not the ones who are seeing any benefit

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGhostWithin said:

Prices will have to fall soon, no doubt the number of people finding themselves on reduced hours and out of work is coming. Thailand is about to enter economic contraction in construction, and tourism. Two main hirers within the Thai labor economy. If prices don't fall, people will begin to act. And the Thais are very good at acting when they feel they are not being given a fair go. 

Thais will not act and that also applies to the 2½ million labourers from Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia who will be fired first and sent back to their home countries.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, southcoast said:
18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Fuel cheap, lecky cheap, gas cheap, food cheap, beer cheap what more you want. ????

A democratic country would be a start...

yeah  right! we demand a democratic country and higher prices. :coffee1:

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Naam said:

Fuel cheap, lecky cheap, gas cheap, food cheap, beer cheap what more you want

Naam, you miss the point.  First off cheap compared to what?  I am from the USA and I can tell you gas, food, beer, wine, etc are noticeably more expensive in Thailand.  Second, the point is that the prices SHOULD BE FALLING.  If it was a weak THB the stores would be raising prices to compensate for the higher costs.  Conversely, goods being brought into Thailand are NOW COSTING LESS so someone not the customer is benefiting from the strong THB. 

• Like 1