Army to auction dogs that failed commission tests

webfact

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

Agree have a Thai women friend who had her Labrador trained by the Airforce for many months. No discipline, does what it wants.

Bit like air forces worldwide then?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Royal Army Veterinary Corps will auction off 15 puppies and 66 adult dogs that failed to meet the criteria for recruitment to be trained as military dogs.

Now if only that same logic applied to the rest of the population...

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

Expectations of price are high. I bought my German shepherd as a puppy ; he has the genuine paperwork that he is a pure bred from a number of imported champions, has a micro chip in the ear and tattooed number/name in case I lose him, all medical shots. 14,000 baht. They are hoping to start at 10,000 baht for a 3 month old GSD with a failed test and no much evidence of medical shots???

These people will do anything for money.

3 hours ago, thequietman said:

There's always taxi driving I suppose. Clearly, they let any fool drive them, so why not mans best friend! 

dog.jpg

My dogs are already trained,  just wish they would fill the tank when they were done

IMG20180910104214.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DepDavid said:

Can you pm contact info for them. I’m interested. Can’t imagine I would have any chance at the auction. 

Not available to farang, sorry. 

National security and all that.

What if the dog tells you stuff. Too much of a security risk I am afraid.

Get a mutt. ????

The rejects must be pretty useless if they want to sell them to the public.

Probably a beautiful, gentle household member, especially a Lab, if all it did to flunk out was to put her paws to her ears, and whimper, at the sound of gunfire and passing tanks.

Some dogs don't have natural aggression that an army dog needs, some are not well suited to scenting etc.

BIL in UK spent a lot of money on a 'gun-dog' pup and it just could not handle gunshot noise. Fire a shotgun within 100 metres of it and unless on a lead you wouldn't see it for two days.

I also bought a Springer from gun-dog stock and it turned out to be epileptic and eventually was having 5 or 6 fits a day. Poor thing had to be put down when it was 6/7 months.

These dogs will 99% be ok as family pets but that depends on the family.

One thing about dogs is that 'orders' to them should be in a deep voice. High pitched and squealy voices give the dog the impression it's fun, as they had with the other pups in the litter.

You can guess where the high pitched squealy voices I'm talking about come from.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, wisperone said:

Don't forget to budget/plan ahead for when the German Shepherds hips go bad as they so often do when older.

Depends on the breeding history.

Always have a GSD Hip scored by x-ray when it's a pup.

Wide open socket is bad, straight socket spur is not good but close fitting socket and ball with a nice curved closing spur and it will never have a hip problem.

This is what you don't want to see in your pup's x-ray.

Penn-Hip-View-of-Hip-Dysplasia-554x369.jpg

Edited by overherebc
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, jvs said:

As far as i know these dogs are all sniffer dogs,used to find explosives or drugs.

Some dogs do explosives and others do drugs or money searches.

I have not seen the police or army do crowd control with biting dogs.

That is a whole world in it own.

If you buy a dog there you may end up with a dog that has done obedience and other basic training.

Do not expect anything fantastic.The rejects must be pretty useless if they want to sell them to the public.

Better start with a pup and teach it what you want from day one.

Some countries do use vicious dogs for crowd control usely 3rd world countries

1 hour ago, JimGant said:

Probably a beautiful, gentle household member, especially a Lab, if all it did to flunk out was to put her paws to her ears, and whimper, at the sound of gunfire and passing tanks.

Sounds like my dog she's part Lab and can't stand thunderstorms

12 minutes ago, Fred white said:

When the wall come down, east/west germany 99% of the GSD's that had been used to scare people turned out to be big soft mutts.

The vast majority were taken in as house pets. ???? They looked the part and did a lot of barking but had been spoiled rotten by the handlers.

3 hours ago, mikebell said:
  1. Not so amazing running loose on roads; bringing down motor cyclists; causing cars to swerve into pedestrians; defecating every/any where; spreading diseases (like rabies,); disturbing sleep with constant barking/howling.

Depends on who owns them mine hasn't done any of those things except for the barking part she does let us know when someone is at the door but that's it

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Fred white said:

One of the less well published facts on sniffer dogs is that some countries will introduce the dog to a very small sniff of say heroin or coke. Dog gets a little buzz and will keep trying to chase the buzz.. Those sadly enough are the most successful sniffer dogs.

6 hours ago, Jack Mountain said:

I like to keep my freedom, dogs are pussies, can't stay alone. I prefer cats.

You are right they are pathetically dependent which is why some people like them, women especially. At least cats have an amount of independence and dignity, dogs are reduced to pretending to like humans for food!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

One of the less well published facts on sniffer dogs is that some countries will introduce the dog to a very small sniff of say heroin or coke. Dog gets a little buzz and will keep trying to chase the buzz.. Those sadly enough are the most successful sniffer dogs.

have you got any proof of this?I have heard it but that was 40 years ago.

Hard to believe.

9 hours ago, Fred white said:

Sold to a Chinese restaurant ????

That said , i do remember when slaughtered dogs , were for sale in Sakon Nakon .

They were not skinned , just hung on a hook , with price tabs on them.

For some reason black dogs , were more exspensive .

They all tasted , same same to me...

Edited by elliss
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mikebell said:
  1. Not so amazing running loose on roads; bringing down motor cyclists; causing cars to swerve into pedestrians; defecating every/any where; spreading diseases (like rabies,); disturbing sleep with constant barking/howling.

My dogs dont do any such thing  except barking of course when people approach gates of house or they find a snake.... but thats what they are paid to do

They are all big girls and seem to scare most Thais who do come to the gate but we dont have any near neighbors and gate is always locked we dont do open house often, although dogs rarely show much interest when " invited guests"  are inside.. All bets are off for uninvited ones but then again thats their job!!

I would never let my dogs near kids.....i dont trust them..... KIDS that is

IMHO in the countryside here dogs  are a necessity but then again i have always had guard dogs

• Like 1

9 hours ago, overherebc said:

How do the dogs know what it smells like if they've never smelled it before?

By having is in a closed container and holding it under their nose.

I also know what durian smells like even though i never ate it. 

9 hours ago, poohy said:

My dogs dont do any such thing  except barking of course when people approach gates of house or they find a snake.... but thats what they are paid to do

They are all big girls and seem to scare most Thais who do come to the gate but we dont have any near neighbors and gate is always locked we dont do open house often, although dogs rarely show much interest when " invited guests"  are inside.. All bets are off for uninvited ones but then again thats their job!!

I would never let my dogs near kids.....i dont trust them..... KIDS that is

IMHO in the countryside here dogs  are a necessity but then again i have always had guard dogs

Same feelings on kids for me.

• Like 2