on line banking UK banks

this is for people who use on line banking and apparently all UK banks from 14th September are required by the EU (we supposed to be out LOL) and a new line of security is coming in.

What it entails is that you have your current password and so many digits at present but one has to have a mobile and landline and the banks will send a passcode for entering on mobile and computer.
Yes most do not have or have no use of a mobile, but it appears one has to, but the way around it of course is to use your wife's one and no one knows if one will have a seperate code every single time, even just for checking??

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, john west said:

all UK banks from 14th September are required by the EU (we supposed to be out LOL)

:biggrin:

Yes indeed, the infamous PSD2 (Payment Services Directive).
I have internet banking with two German banks and still not all detail/steps described.

But I hope to be prepared:

Have banking apps and "push TAN" apps for both installed on my Android phone.

Each bank will have it's own app/procedure. Nice :sleep:

Also have a TAN generator device which is used with the chip card for each bank.

TAN lists will be void from 14 Sep.

Some banks will also abandon the SMS TAN method.

Best you watch the news and visit your bank website for info.

Credit card (online?) payment will also be affected. But also don't know the details yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Payment_Services_Directive

TAN (transaction number): terms might differ per country.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, faraday said:

I expect it will be a different code every time.

Yes, for each login and transaction.

There might be exceptions for small transactions.

So far it was possible to login with just username and pin/password.

No more.

Also certain rules for the username will apply (not account number, not real name?).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

No more.

Also certain rules for the username will apply (not account number, not real name?).

No more.

No more.

Yes and it states that if they recognise that you using your own home computer as well and they know the email with prior transactions.
I am worried for those who have no mobile or landline and there are a few and some do not need a mobile, as simply do not use it , but believe one has to top it up for only 100 or 200 Baht.
IMHO think there are going to be major problems ahead and just how much more security is needed and enough problems trying to stay here as well.

1 minute ago, john west said:

I am worried for those who have no mobile or landline and there are a few and some do not need a mobile, as simply do not use it , but believe one has to top it up for only 100 or 200 Baht.

If the mobile has WiFi connection (preferably at home) there is no need to keep SIM alive/top-up. It's only relevant if you depend on mobile internet.

And I am still waiting whether the TAN generator (chip TAN) method will still work (may not be used in all countries).

Just now, BobBKK said:

Nat West is such a croc of **** I have not even used my 40 year old bank account with them. They are totally UK centric and I cant get cards or that card machine thingy sent here.

Yes indeed and you have to get a friend to authorise them to send it but that is not enough and still problems when the card does arrive and do not forget even if you use a debit card, one gets charged by outgoing and incoming banks and the ATM charges even more. Good luck everyone and IMHO think there are going to be serious problems getting our very small monies.
As I have said there are more and barriers to overcome and this is a direction of the EU, who we are supposed to be leaving AFTER WHAT 3 YEARS!!! and the EU still and will still tell the UK what to do!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Nat West is such a croc of **** I have not even used my 40 year old bank account with them. They are totally UK centric and I cant get cards or that card machine thingy sent here.

You understand that you have to be a UK resident to open a bank account nowadays.

So far the banks have  not, to my knowledge, proactively tried to close down expat accounts.................................. it may come, certainly don't expect any empathy if you are not UK domiciled.

No more.

30 Quid......................... and not for logins AFAIK.

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Well, that's described as one of the oncoming changes effective Sep 14.

No more login without a "two factor" authorization which is usually a TAN.

LOL what is Tan short for. sorry gang and think if you have a mobile that is enough, or is it not? who know the banks and others never seem to know and depends who you manage to talk to anyone these days and it is all done via computer and no personal attention ever.

Gone a bit over my head all of this. I have kept a UK acc all the while I have been over here which I am thankful for as hopefully I'm going back in the not too distant future. I don't use it for any transactions as such just to check if money has come in and out of the account. So will I need all this new gear just to login and check the account?

7 minutes ago, john west said:

if you have a mobile that is enough, or is it not?

Yes, as I understand.

Up to now I can handle the accounts with the mobile alone and this should not change.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes, as I understand.

Up to now I can handle the accounts with the mobile alone and this should not change.

Thanks Khun and some may have to use their partners mobile on the personal details of your internet account and it will be interesting and we await and see all the problems

27 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I manage without a debit card.

I did make a complaint to NatWest about the new security (only way to contact them), got some BS reply from someone who didn't apper to understand English, guessing the account handling centre is located in Mumbai.

Been using the mobile app to move my money around the past year, which hopefully I can still do.

Just in case, I'm bringing over more money that usual this month, and moving some money to my Transferwise account just in case.

I guess we all need to start thinking about moving on from the 'big 4' banks, who don't seem to want us any more, and start using more modern banking like Transferwise.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, john west said:

but one has to have a mobile and landline and the banks will send a passcode for entering on mobile and computer.

I'm somewhat confused. My bank sez I can use an email.

We will send a verification code by text message or email to the details we have for you.

15 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Well, that's described as one of the oncoming changes effective Sep 14.

No more login without a "two factor" authorization which is usually a TAN.

By TAN, do you mean OTP ?

I am OK, I have a UK SIM card and already receive OTP’s from Nationwide (card transactions) HMRC and one other. Maybe later I will get OTP’s for Barclays, TESCO, Nat West, Post Office, M&S, Sainsbury and MBNA........ only HSBC so far required me to use my phone as my ‘security device’.

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I manage without a debit card.

I did make a complaint to NatWest about the new security (only way to contact them), got some BS reply from someone who didn't apper to understand English, guessing the account handling centre is located in Mumbai.

Been using the mobile app to move my money around the past year, which hopefully I can still do.

Just in case, I'm bringing over more money that usual this month, and moving some money to my Transferwise account just in case.

I guess we all need to start thinking about moving on from the 'big 4' banks, who don't seem to want us any more, and start using more modern banking like Transferwise.

I looked in to Transfer wise and you still have to transfer funds from our bank account to them and is there a minimum or times you have to use them and is it easy to sign up? thanks

Just now, john west said:

I looked in to Transfer wise and you still have to transfer funds from our bank account to them and is there a minimum or times you have to use them and is it easy to sign up? thanks

I signed up using my old address in the UK (from 10 years back). It passed their 'security checks' without any problems.

And sent them a photo of my UK Passport and driving licence.

It gives you a Brit bank account number you can have your UK pension paid directly into.

35 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Halifax Bank are the same they say they have an embargo on Thailand and will not send card, but it does not me stop sending money to Thailand at £9.50 a transfer no matter how big or small, Nationwide no problems sending card!

14 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

By TAN, do you mean OTP ?

As written terms might differ.

In Thailand OTP is used, in Germany TAN is used.

And in both cases it's a number, digits only.

No "P" like password.

Same function.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I also`

4 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

Halifax Bank are the same they say they have an embargo on Thailand and will not send card, but it does not me stop sending money to Thailand at £9.50 a transfer no matter how big or small, Nationwide no problems sending card!

I also have a Nationwide account and its locked up with a few thousand in it. Looks like I'll have to go back to UK to sort out Nat West and Nationwide. They are a pain in the ****

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I also`

I also have a Nationwide account and its locked up with a few thousand in it. Looks like I'll have to go back to UK to sort out Nat West and Nationwide. They are a pain in the ****

A word of warning and these useless uk banks (what's new)  you can contact them  only by letter to one address only and if lucky to ask on a twitter account it depends who you talk to and one get a differing answer from most of them!!!

Edited by john west
Got update No we would not sent codes by email but nothing on whether a new code each time to mobile!!!

1 minute ago, john west said:

A word of warning and these useless uk banks (what's new)  you can contact them  only by letter to one address only and if lucky to ask on a twitter account it depends who you talk to and one get a differing answer from most of them!!!

I have just asked my bank for an answer to my tweet last night and asking whether u would send a code by email (I doubt it and probably not secure??) or whether it would always be by code each time. Not to hard to answer, surely??? LOL

16 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

I also`

My Nationwide has not been locked (yet) although i don't send money to Thailand with it, use it only for paypal payments which i set up recently when the aforementioned Halifax card expired!

Santander notified me of this November last year. I updated my (dead) UK number for my AIS number, sent me an email to confirm, sent a One Time Passcode to my Thai phone, confirmed and ready to go - I hope! It also works with fingerprint scan on my iPhone.